ATV Racing Discussions on ATV racing.

What are the fastest ATV's from the factory?

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2015, 03:07 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Moose- Understood

Beergut- congrats on the new home.

Old 02-02-2015, 06:24 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by beergut
do you honestly believe that if you made a few minor mods (like fred did to his zilla) to a renegade 1000, you won't get it to 100+ mph?
can-am has their rotax engines so detuned (producing 50% of what the are designed to do) it's ridiculous.
not saying a zilla 500 isn't a mind boggling fast machine- but anyone who's ever ridden a rene 1000 would laugh at your statement above. punching a rene 1000 on the blacktop (or where ever you can get 100hp to stick to the ground) results with the rene instantly flipping over backwards. you don't have to like the big bore 4-stroke atv's- but you have to respect what they've morphed into.
Beergut,

Years ago, when the (at the time) big bore 4 stoke sport quads came out (DS650 and later the Raptors), everyone thought they were the bomb. They were the most high powered 4 stroke ATV's ever, and zilla's were already hard to find and forgotten by most, so everyone thought they had zilla killers. They weren't. Not even close. Sure, with ton's of mods (I've personally lost to a DS650... that had a turbo), they can be made to outrun a zilla. Those people are who my comments were mostly geared towards. The guys that think their YFZ450, or Raptor, or DS650, or whatever, can outrun a zilla with a couple little mods are wrong. Period.

But I'm not going to dismiss a renegade 1000 (or a Scrambler 1000 which I think has even more HP from what I've read.) I've never lined up against one, or seen one flat out on pavement. I would think with their weight, they would have a hard time accelerating like a zilla. (I'm not implying they are slow AT ALL, just compared to a bike that weighs less than 400lbs with the power of a zilla engine, it's going to be hard to overcome that.) But top speed, that's another story. I'm sure they have the POTENTIAL to fly with that big of an engine. But I'd be hard pressed to believe they have 100hp like you claim, or that they only have 50% of the power they were designed to have like you claim. Are you saying they have 100 stock hp, and they're designed to have 200hp? I'm calling BS if so. Do you have a reliable source you're quoting that from? If not, your opinion is just another worthless one with no facts. If you do have a reliable source, please share. I'd love to read these details about one of the full liter motored quads.

Weight doesn't affect top speed that much. Areodynamics and correct gearing are going to be your main limiting factory. However, has anyone ever done it with one of these bikes? I'm not asking to prove a point. I'd just generally like to see it, and what mods would be necessary. Would it take more than an exhaust and gearing? If it is detuned inside the motor, it's probably going to take more than an exhaust to wake it up. If so, my comment is still valid. Plus, how do you gear those up? I'm no expert on the Renegade 1000 or the Scrambler 1000, but every CVT bike I've seen cannot be geared up other than to put bigger tires on it, which is going to take a lot of your power away. Unless the Renegade has a chain drive to it's rear end, to get to 100mph, you're going to have to most likely open the motor up and do something pretty extreme to make it rev almost 30% faster, or put much much bigger tires on it that it probably struggle to go faster than it does stock. (If I'm wrong about the drive train on these, enlighten me. I could be because I haven't read up on the specs.)

I have no doubt those could be made to go really really fast. There's no replacement for displacement, and they've certainly got it. But I'm just questioning what type of mods you have in mind that would make these go 100mph, and whether those would be considered "a few minor mods". They were just a few, and very minor for the zilla. Exhaust system, jets for carb, sprockets, fender trimming). If you're going to say my claim is "ridiculous", be specific. Better yet, show me someone who has done it. (If it's that easy, surely someone has.) Otherwise, you're just another useless opinion.

And BTW, I do love the new big bore 4 strokes. They are a whole new dimension to ATV's. They are not light and maneuverable like a true race quad, but they are smooth and have power that we've never seen before in an ATV. They would be a ton of fun in a lot of terrain other than on an MX track. Zilla's are no fun in a lot of terrain also. Two different animals.

Old 02-04-2015, 02:22 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I guess what we should all take from this discussion is that any of the big bore 4x4 atvs are fast as well as the 450 and up sport quads. It depends on where you ride and what conditions as to what is a better choice. The cvt 4x4 automatic quads have more power but obviously are heavier. Many like not having to shift, that's why they're so popular. Put it in gear and hit the throttle and you're off. You never have to wonder if its in the right gear when you're climbing a hill for instance. Its always in the right gear. The sport quads would be a poor choice for mud or rocks because of poor ground clearance and no 4x4. But they're easier to handle because they're lighter and more nimble. There are so many great machines to choose from so no mattter what you pick, you're going to be a winner.

Old 02-04-2015, 09:12 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

CVT are great with power. My ski-doo 800R E-Tec is 165hp stock and will do 120 mph without much effort across any lake snow and ice conditions. Even open
water does not effect them much.

Here are some older slower Polaris XC700 (120hp) doing 80mph over open water.

Old 02-04-2015, 10:36 AM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by greg74
I guess what we should all take from this discussion is that any of the big bore 4x4 atvs are fast as well as the 450 and up sport quads. It depends on where you ride and what conditions as to what is a better choice. The cvt 4x4 automatic quads have more power but obviously are heavier. Many like not having to shift, that's why they're so popular. Put it in gear and hit the throttle and you're off. You never have to wonder if its in the right gear when you're climbing a hill for instance. Its always in the right gear. The sport quads would be a poor choice for mud or rocks because of poor ground clearance and no 4x4. But they're easier to handle because they're lighter and more nimble. There are so many great machines to choose from so no mattter what you pick, you're going to be a winner.
Well said.

Old 02-04-2015, 03:59 PM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by MooseHenden
Well said.
+1

Old 05-31-2015, 06:12 PM
Weekend Warrior

I would love to see a can am keep up with my ltr I've raced everyone and mine is bone stock I've out ran everything.