ATV Racing Discussions on ATV racing.

Whats a fair price for aftermarket chassis?

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2001, 11:25 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I need some opinions. What do you guys think is a fair price for aftermarket chassis? Keep in mind the HUGE amount of work and cost of materials that goes into these things. I’ve checked on the 4130 chromoly, and it isn’t cheap. Break the prices down.

Frame
A-arms, tie rods & spindles
Steering stem
Swing arm
Air box

This plus any other input on the subject is greatly appreciated!

Thanks for you time

Old 04-18-2001, 05:08 PM
Range Rover

$2000 for a frame
$600 for a arms
$100 for tierods with ends
$200 Steering stem
$500 or 600 for swing arm

This is kinda the current prices in which I think is fair. There is alot of engineering and labor that go into these parts. I think anything within these price ranges sounds fair enough to me. Although I would like to see the prices alot lower, I do know what goes into them. I would rather pay alot for quality than cheap for junk. Thats just me though.

Old 04-19-2001, 10:55 PM
Pro Rider

I would like to see lower prices. It seems to me that we are paying alot because the product is limited in availability. I also feel that it is possible that the manufacturers of these products purposely limit production to keep prices high. That way they dont have to expand their facilities or staff and can still make a ridiculous profit. I am not saying I know this for sure I am just saying why would you go through alot of effort to lower the price of your product so you could make more of them.

My Lonestar steering stem and vibration mount was over $300 I think. To me there is not alot of work in it, but it is an awesome improvement over stock. I have Denton +2 +1 for like $600 I am happy with them. With the proper jigs I think a skilled welder could really ring them out too. I dont have an aftermarket frame, but to me that is were the real labor would be and of course the most material. If someone could make frames for less than $1500 I would be pretty interested.

I cant wait to buy a swingarm, but for right now my stocker seems to be holding up.

How do you think you will try to run this business. Will you do like on a per order basis to start with or can you afford to make an inventory.

From what I have learned in business you need to determine the demand for the product. I would have to say the demand is pretty high. Next, what will the product cost to make labor(fair price for your time or employees)+ materials,+marketing+sales+some kind of percentage to help guarantee you turn a good profit. If after all that you come up with a price close to the market standard then you can determine you have a chance at being competitive and making a decent living. Sorry, to not really answer, but if you can offer these products to atv racers at a price lower than everybody else and still make a living then please go ahead.

Adam Smith

99 400EX

Old 04-20-2001, 08:25 AM
Pro Rider

If I go through with this, I will make 2 to 3 chassis for testing purposes. Get all the jigs ready and a stock of materials. It is not going to be a huge operation at first. I can tell you I have checked on materials and equipment, and at the prices we are paying, they are making a very significant profit.

My chassis Is in the design stage right now. I’m an experienced 3D CAD user, so I will get everything designed on the screen before any metal is cut. It is of course, like any other frame, it is based on the 250R front suspension geometry. However the rest of the chassis is being designed with 2 things in mind, 1. Strength, and 2. Ease of construction.

I own a totally stock 250R and a 1993 Laegers PRO-TRAX, so I know the good and bad of both. Even on the Laegers there are things that could be done better.

I have studied the numbers and a profit can be made, even with prices significantly lower than what’s out there. I don’t want to put any dollar figures on the table just yet. My Wife and I already own a business, so we know what it takes and how much work is involved.

There is a possibility of stocking chassis for 250r motors, but so many guys want different stuff it makes it hard to keep a stock, but you never know!

Just keep your eyes on the forum’s and I will let out some information now and then. If I only build one and race it myself, that will fulfill a dream of many years.

Old 04-20-2001, 09:17 AM
Range Rover

Not to start an arguement or anything, but in defense of the aftermarket chassis companies, it may seem like they are making huge profits off the frames, but just figure in how many labor hours involved in each one and also, just to design that frame, it took x amount of hours. You guys are looking at the big name chassis companies and thinking all they make is profit, but as you well know, it costs money to lease a building and pay the bills along with that. I bet you on the frames alone, all they really make after paying wages and utilities is about 500 - 700 dollars on each one.

Old 04-20-2001, 09:32 AM
Pro Rider

DONT GET ME WRONG.

I am not putting down the current aftermarket chassis companies. I praise them! After all where would we be without them? The factories left us high and dry all those years.

And as far as making a BIG profit, I never said there is anything wrong with that!

Old 04-20-2001, 03:29 PM
Trailblazer

I know that the aftermarket frames are awesome but for $2000 I can buy 4 stock 400ex main frames. I thought when I bent the first one (unfortunate tree incident) that I would get a aftermarket frame, but when i priced the stock frame the choice was obvious. $500 bucks for the frame and if you know someone who can weld, you can gusset it and make it super strong. It all comes down to economics to me. 4 for 2000 or 1 for 2000? Until the aftermarket frame are this cheap I will continue to ride on the factory units.

Old 05-20-2001, 09:55 AM
Pro Rider

I read in a Dirtwheels letter where some guy claimed to have worked at the Honda plant in Ohio. He had a mechanical engineering degree. Well, anyway he said he built a frame that would fit his 330R and that he could switch with a YZ400 just by using different motor mounts.

I remember reading that the YZ400 motor is taller than the 250R motor and Laeger had to cut and lower their bottom from rails to accept it in Kory Ellis' conversion quad. So I am not so sure this guy is telling the truth.

However, do you think it would be possible to make a basic frame design that was adaptable to different motors just with mounts?

Also, I have been trying to email you about where I live. Gretna, VA is 20 miles North of Danville and about 35 miles south of Lynchburg on Hwy. 29. I live about 30 minutes from Birch Creek, and ride there quite often. I was at the Birch Creek TT National, and also the VA Beach Race. I am planning to attend all the MAATVA races, and possibly the MT. Morris MX and Loretta Lynn's Nationals.

Adam Smith

99 400EX

Old 05-21-2001, 12:02 PM
Pro Rider

Yeah, I used yahoo maps to see where you were. I’ve been to the Danville TT once; it’s a pretty long drive for me.

I think someone could develop a frame to accept different motors just by changing mounts. However the limiting factor would probably be chain alignment, on some motors.