ATV Racing Discussions on ATV racing.

GNC Round 4 tidbits

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2001, 08:35 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For those of us still waiting on a race report, I found out this news last night.

Unofficial results:

1. Farr
2. Gust
3. Jones
4. Byrd

Farr got the holeshot both motos, and won the first. I think Spader had a flat in the first moto. He was right up there in the second moto but faded back. I dont think Spaders lonestar/axis quad handles quite as well as last years LOBO chassis. Gust was in command of the second moto, with Farr in second. Byrd was hard charging in the second moto, worked his way up to 3rd. Byrd pressure Farr for the second spot, but Tim used all the hot lines and held him off. That was an important move because if Farr would have let Byrd slip by, Gust would have gotten the overall. Jones appeared to be fading also, something that just doesnt happen. Afterwards it was said that his rear shock blew during the race.

Old 05-11-2001, 11:53 AM
Pro Rider

OFFICIAL

1. FARR
2. GUST
3. JONES
4. BYRD
5. LUBURGH
6. NATALIE
7. HITT
8. K. LITTLE
9. SPADER
10. JASMIN PLANTE

Old 05-11-2001, 12:13 PM
Pro Rider

Who is this Luburgh guy? never heard of him before.

Old 05-14-2001, 10:03 AM
Range Rover

This guy is out of Ohio on a 4 stroke. I saw him in GA and new he would be a good contender. He is fast and I think he has a good possibility of being top 5 or at least top 10 this year.

Old 05-15-2001, 03:31 PM
Range Rover

Chawness,
I was just curious how the race went for you? I saw your name listed in the Open A results. Did you crash, breakdown, or was everyone else that fast?

The reason I ask is my first GNC in 2 years is this weekend at RedBud. I was originally thinking anything top 10 or better would be a great accomplishment for me. After talking with a few people and reading the results I am starting to think that just qualifying might be a good accomplishment. There are a couple guys I race with locally that are very, very fast. The best national finish for one is 7th in 250B at Blountville and the other has been racing 250A at every race and he has only qualified for 1 main event. And both these guys are way faster than I am! There is no doubt that the nationals are on a whole different level than the local races.

Old 05-17-2001, 09:31 AM
Pro Rider

Yeah I was there. My first moto was a nightmare. I jumped everyone off the start and thought I had myself a holeshot. Coming into the first turn I got rammed by the riders on the inside and pushed out over the berm. That didnt concern me too much, not much time lost there. A few turns later two riders collided a crashed right beside the anouncers tower. I got on the brakes hard and stalled the mighty 330. I quickly restarted, but everyone else seemed to be gone. I worked my way up to 9th, but needed 8th to qualify. I was tired and couldnt make a run on the transfer spot, although he was just ahead of me.

Later that evening I ran my last chance qualifer. I changed to a 14 tooth front sprocket to see if it would be a little better geared for the track. I opted to start on the inside of the gate since I got the shaft in the previous moto. Since I got 9th I had first pick on the gate, which was nice. I started in the second gate to the left of the box. I pulled 4th off the start and held it for half a lap. 4th was the transfer spot. Running in 5th I was feeling good. Another dude in front of me had an incident and I went back to fourth. However my buddy JT Elliot, who got a terrible start, was on the move. We got toegether at the bottom of the finish line hill in the turn before the double. I went off the outside of the track and quickly got back on, now in 5th again. I didnt give up and rode hard, but again wasnt able to make a run on the 4th place guy who finished about 100' in front of me.

I was disgusted, to say the least. Basically what it boils down to is this: The guys that are finishing in the top five at the nationals are racing almost every weekend. Most start racing in February, some do it year round. That makes it tough for the "once a month racer" to compete at a national level. Im not bragging, but For me, endurance is the only limiting factor. I have a national level quad, equipment and expirience. That makes it very aggravting to know that the only thing keeping me from winning the elusive national is not having time to practice and train. I have won heat races and LCQ's. I placed 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th and so on. Just once Id like to win a national, and roll into the pits and see the look of excitment on my Dads face. Id like to expirience that celebration. Ive seen that look before, after some hard fought wins at local tracks.

WINNING: When it comes to hard core ATV racing, theres no other feeling like it in the world.......

Old 05-17-2001, 09:33 AM
Pro Rider

Oh, and to answer your question, just qualifying is an accomplishment. Those national boys mean business!