ATV Racing Discussions on ATV racing.

250R V.S. LT250R V.S. BANSHEE on MX race

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2001, 01:37 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know the 250R is a BADA$$ machine, it was the first quad I rode, when I was three!! But, how does a Banshee do on a MX track? I really prefer the 250R's, suzuki or honda over the Banshee but how are Banshee's when they are modded out for MX? Also, I have never seen an LT250 on an MX track in real life except once on T.V. and they did pretty good. If there are good riders on them will they beat 250R's in the same class? Also, where can I race in Oregon now that Willow Creek is closed and Albany is pretty far away

Old 06-21-2001, 11:56 AM
Range Rover

I can tell you, with all equal rider skills and all relatively equal hop ups, the 250r should win hands down. There is a reason the pro's ride them, reliable engine and great handling.

Old 06-21-2001, 01:00 PM
Range Rover

I am suprised people keep asking these type of questions. How many Suzuki's do you see at the Nationals? How many Banshees? There are a few Banshees and they can be very competitive with the proper chassis mods. The light switch power band probably holds the Banshee back as much as the handling.

Maybe you haven't been to too many races, but the 250R is by far the most popular for a reason. But of course the ability of the rider is still the most important factor in MX and a fast guy on a Banshee or LT will beat an average rider on a 250R.

Old 06-21-2001, 01:55 PM
Pro Rider

I already knew that 250R are king of the track, what I was saying is how would a LT do if you were as good if not better than other riders. I have never been to a Nationals race but I read Mags. and watch videos and have never seen a Banshee win a race or LT even entered.

Old 06-22-2001, 11:49 AM
Pro Rider

I have raced in the Open classes the last 3 years here in New England MX series. I started on a stock Banshee the first year in the Open C class, the following year I raced (all but 2) on piped Banshee in the Open B and then this year I moved up the Open A on my 250R.

During these three years, I have raced against these machines:
400ex’s – From stock to fully modded even the frame
Banshee’s – from stock to fully modded
250R’s – never saw one stock, but all different mods even powervalves
LT-250 – not sure on mods
LT-500 – not sure on mods
Polaris 400 – no major mods I believe.
DS-650 – only once I think.

This is one of the reasons I go into the open class, to race all different type machines. While I am a full believer that rider plays the most important part in racing, especially at the local level, there are differences in the machines.

With my piped banshee, I lined up next the Polaris one race. Thinking that I would take him off the line since it was a “polaris” I was wrong. On that holeshot, he pulled away from me. (This was early on in the first year racing)

But I always liked to see the yellow beasts in front of me during the race. Especially a track like Southwick, MA which is a sandy whooped out track. If it was the 500, I could easily pass them. The LT-250 would be a little harder to pass, since they handled better but I still would get by them. I could always count on a yellow machine parked on the side of the track at some point during the day. Now, the LT’s are far and few between in our series. 1 or 2 out of 200 riders.

In the lower classes, the rider makes the largest difference. But when I moved up the classes, you could tell that the 250R was better at MX than the Banshee and LT’s. Last year I had to choose between spending a lot of money on the Banshee to make it compete with the 250R or just buy a 250R. I choose the later, and never regret it.

The Banshee’s and the LT’s can be competitive (and fun) at the local level. But once the skill level increase (and becomes less of a difference between riders) the machine can make the difference in winning big or loosing big.

Example – Farr and Spader. Both on a 250R are about equal. Will trade win for win depending on rider mistake. But put one of them on a Banshee or LT and the rider on the 250R will win almost all the time. (track conditions and such not taking into account).

Old 10-01-2005, 07:52 AM
Trailblazer
Default 250R V.S. LT250R V.S. BANSHEE on MX race

your very exp. in mx raceing and you use to race a banshee. I have one and was woundering is the banshee to heavy and hard to control to hit big air? Did you get big air w the banshee, what mods did you have? thanks