ATV Racing Discussions on ATV racing.

race tires ????

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2001, 06:02 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

my first race is coming up and i have 2 sets of tires i can run i have the stock 300ex tires and a set of prowedge tires the prowedge slide around corners wicked good but they cause non stop wheelies everywhere else . the stockers slide somewhat but they have really crappy traction they just spin alot i will be racing mx and the track will be dry/moist loose dirt

Old 06-24-2001, 12:35 AM
Trailblazer

I wouldn't use the stock tires, they have a tendency make your quad 2 wheel around corners especially with a stock axle.

Old 06-24-2001, 01:50 AM
Pro Rider

i didnt know that ! good tip ! but will it really matter that much , the people i will be racing against will be on stock 300ex and piped blasters im in the 91-300 under 16 class i went to one of thwe races before and it looked like most of the compitition really sucked , im worried about beating my friends on 2001 300exs on has a pipe not properly jetted and the other has a properly jetted pipe my 250x is bonestock except for nerfs and a 14t sprocket . i know im a better trail rider then both of them but not a better jumper any suggestions to make my quad more competitive?

Old 06-24-2001, 11:06 AM
Trailblazer

You can do some engine mods like a race cam, high compresion piston, and valve springs, and exhaust.Also racing shocks work wonders. So does a longer swingarm and longer a-arms. But these mods cost big money. If you can't afford suspension mods and engine mods,go with a pipe and practice on a mx track. My quad is not the fastest, but I have beaten many 250R's and 400ex's because of my riding skill not saying I'm the best.

Old 06-26-2001, 06:50 PM
Pro Rider

First off, I saw your other post on Jolly Roger. If it rains, the track will be a mud fest. If it is dry, the ground will be more hard packed than loose dirt. Except near the Southwick turn before the finish line. Never heard of the other tires, but if they have more grip you may be better off with them. Learn throttle control and body postion to keep the front end down.

I know very well the class you are speaking of in this series. I would say the 91-300 class has the broadest spectrum of riders of any class. There are the really fast riders then it spreads fairly evenly down to the slowest riders. When I watched my first race 3 years ago, I thought I could ride as fast as some of the people out there. But it is a lot different on the track compared to off. So take it easy out there, especially a track like Jolly! Last year Marco, the owner, said that there was 23 jumps on the 1.5 mile track. And every race he changes something.

With that said, you may have your hands full if your buddies can jump better than you. I like to say that you spend more time in the air at Jolly than on the ground. But then you do not need to make every jump to win, especially at that track. Do NOT try the intimidator, not even Spader attempted it last year. Never seen a quad even try and I would not want to. Oh, every one of my friends have crashed at Jolly Roger. Some serious (broken collar bone from practice) to just plain underwear staining hard landings. Just have fun and be smart!

Oh, if you are a better trail rider, then have them all come down to Southwick. Less jumps and more bumps.

Old 07-11-2001, 02:16 AM
Pro Rider

Pro wedge's are tires that alot of guys use to sand drag and dirt drag.Hmm I guess they would hook up good.But I have 20/11/9 6 ply razr's that are pretty decent on a MX track.But I also have 18/11/8 holeshot mx's that are awesome on a MX track!

The stock 300ex/250x tires suck!

86 trx250r setup for mx
97 300ex