ATV Racing Discussions on ATV racing.

HELP The r is down!

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2001, 02:15 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok, well check what I said earlier about the reeds. I hadnt taken them out when I said that, and I just looked in there to see if anything was broken on them. When I took them out tonight, there was something stuck in the bottom ones, and so they were being held open slightly, about 1/16th inch or so, do you think that could be the cause?
I dont want to put my whole motor back in and test it out if thats not the problem.

Thanks

Old 08-11-2001, 10:53 PM
Range Rover

YES! That is all it takes! I have a question. It takes less time to take out the reed cage and closely check the reeds than it took to write your posts (especially when the carb is already out of the way). So why didn't you check them right away? Just curious... I know I would have been anxious as hell to use any advise I could get a.s.a.p..

Make sure that the debris stuck in the reed pedals did not distort them. The pedals should spring all the way back and seat against the cage frame. If there is any doubt, purchase new ones. They are relatively cheap and worth the piece of mind.

Old 08-12-2001, 12:12 AM
Pro Rider

This is definitely your problem. Usually, you have to look at a light and see if you can see even a tiny bit of light...1/16 is huge. I hesitate at changing mine because there is one spot where it doesn't seem to be touching perfectly (you know when 2 wet surface touch, you can see a sort of line where they touch)...but there's nothing you can really see. It's very sensible. And what makes you fuel go in the cylinder!

Old 08-12-2001, 03:22 PM
Pro Rider

The reason that I waited so long to take out the reed cage was because I was kinda busy with other stuff at the time, and was writing my posts when I had a spare minute, as I was checkin this site about 5 times a day looking for any more replies to take into consideration.
My quad was also at a friends shop, and I was trying to pack my stuff as I am leaving for college wendsday.
I took the motor out, as I figured that I have to install that new top end next weekend so I may as well take it out and have it ready when that gets here, so I waited to take out my reeds till I had that done.