ATV Racing Discussions on ATV racing.

Had my first MX race today, and.......

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2001, 09:07 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wooohoooo! I didn't crash! Yay! I had my very first MX race today, and if I had signed up in the beginner class like I was supposed to I would have a 2nd place trophy right now! But, silly me, signed up in the amt. class, and came in at the back of the amt. pack! I was third to last there! (12 quads in all)

BUT! My goal was not to wreck...and I accomplished that! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img]

What an awesome sport. Everyone is so helpful, and so nice, and would give the shirt off their back to help a fellow rider out.....that can't be said for many competitive sports!

OK. I still got some endorphins running around, I guess. I'll stop with the drivel! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 08-12-2001, 10:21 PM
Pro Rider

great job on your first race. i was supposed to start racing this summer too but a lot of things came up that stopped it from happening...maybe next summer. what did you place?

Old 08-12-2001, 10:51 PM
Pro Rider

Way to go sandhopper! Finishing a race is the most important part. If you finish and dont get hurt you can race the next race. Ive seen a simple mistake made by some racers (myself included) put them out for a few weeks or months. The speed will come with time and lots of practice. Sounds like your fast already though,placing NOT last in the amt.class.Keep it up and remember a person can lead every lap but if he or she dosent finish that last one the drive home (or the hospital) is very long.

Old 08-13-2001, 06:36 PM
Pro Rider

Good job. I remember my first time racing it was on a dirtbike and it was quite an experience. Unlike you I did finish dead last it was on a litte supercross track with a set of whoops that was insane. I think everyone else on the track lapped me at least once and some more than that.

I agree that you need to finish the races and gain experience. However, there is sometimes a fine line between getting way over your head and just pushing your limits a little. I found that just recently I went to a track with a big low to high double, and when I finally decided to jump it I overshot it by at least 15 feet landing flat from about 12 feet in the air sucks my quad spit me off it and then run me over to teach me a good lesson. Basically, it was just good luck and having so much experience crashing that kept me from getting injured and missing the rest of my season.

Good luck out there and keep riding as much as you can.

Adam Smith

99 400EX

Old 08-13-2001, 07:22 PM
Pro Rider

Thanks, guys!

I wound up coming in 10th out of 12 quads both motos. The whoop section had about 11 very nasty whoops in it, and that really slowed me down! I don't like getting bucked off, and my suspension was a little too stiff still! And by the 4th lap (the shortened track was about 1 mile) my arms were rubber and it was all I could do to not kill myself coming through the whoops the last time! And the second moto was run at about 12:30 and in 105 degree weather! What a bunch of crazy people! It was so fun!

A couple of guys crashed, but they were OK. The double that I crashed on last time was mocking me, though. I didn't even try it, but I roosted it when I went by! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]