ATV Racing Discussions on ATV racing.

Arm Pump remedy

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2001, 11:13 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Help me out here. I saw a guy at Loretta Lynn's rub some kind of ointment on his forarms just before he headed for staging. Anyone have any idea what that might have been?

I've also heard that aspren works too.

Old 08-29-2001, 03:10 PM
Range Rover

It was probably icy hot or something similar. I saw Shane Hitt using it in GA and I tried it myself. It works wonders. I will tell ya, I havent had any arm pump since I started using it.

Old 08-29-2001, 04:39 PM
Pro Rider

Try a couple Advil a hour before a race and drink water all day long!
ERIC

Old 08-29-2001, 06:09 PM
Pro Rider

Hmmmmm...sports creme. I am going to have to try that. A couple of guys at my track said to take aspirin and eat bananas before you race - thins out your blood and gives you potassium! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 08-29-2001, 07:43 PM
Pro Rider

lol.. you guys have some weird pre-race rituals. I guess you get off and smooth the dirt in front of you.. don't you? [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 08-29-2001, 09:25 PM
Pro Rider

LonestarBanshee - do you get arm pump? By my fourth lap, my poor fingers won't do anything I ask of them - therefore I will try just about anything to ease that a little! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] You know, though, I didn't even know what arm pump was before I started racing - I never got that on the trails or duning.....hmmmm.

Old 08-29-2001, 10:38 PM
Pro Rider

SandHopper,

I don't get arm pump that bad. I move furniture, so my upper body is in pretty good shape. We have 8 minute practices, and let me tell you, after the 10th lap, my body is jelly! There was another post on here about arm pump, and the guy does the same thing I do. Get a pole.. or broom handle or whatever, and tie a 3ft rope to the end. Then on the other end of the rope, tie a brick, and curl the pole until the brick gets to the top, and let it back down. Lift weights, it will go away with that, and practice!

Old 08-30-2001, 01:33 AM
Pro Rider

Really? I am definately going to have to try that - I will be really upset if I blow a race just because I don't have the right muscles built up! What about those grip exerciser things - you know, those little handles you squeeze with the big spring in them? Do you think those would help?

Old 08-30-2001, 11:22 AM
Pro Rider

The handle things will help you out a little bit. I mean, everyone gets arm pump now and then, but they will definately help.

Anohter thing to do, and it might sound weird is to take an ice cream scoop, the ones with a spring to get the ice cream out ya know, and find one with a strong spring and just sit and push the spring in and out with your thumb while you are sitting there watching TV or whatever. This builds the muscles in your thumb, if you run a thumb throttle then thats improtant. I dont know how many times my thumb has gotten so tired and stiff it was either ***** out or nothin on the throttle. After I started doing that then my thumb no longer gets too tired.

Old 08-30-2001, 05:31 PM
Pro Rider

GREAT IDEA! I never thought of that. You definately need to exercise your thumb!! Overall, I say just ride and practice. Eventually the arm pump will go away.

Quick Reply: Arm Pump remedy