ATV Racing Discussions on ATV racing.

Broken Bones

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2001, 01:05 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would like to hear about any broken bones that any one has gotten while riding and how it happened. I broke my femur (thigh bone) last weekend while practicing at a friends track. I hit the jump and for some reason the ***-end kicked up and I landed from a third gear flat out jump nose first. The impact slammed me into the handlebars legs first and then my quad rolled off. Boy are those Renthals strong! I had a rod put in my bone and everything will be fine but it sure is scary and painful. My leg felt like jello lying there. So who else has some? By the way I broke my navicular (wrist bone) in August as well. I landed from a jump and my handlebars kicked back and I jammed my wrist. Out of work two months for that one and will probably be out 2-3 more for my leg. Talk about throwing money away...

Old 11-30-2001, 01:52 PM
Elite Pro Rider

While racing locally I broke both hands, colar bone, tail bone, and a femur bone when I cased double that was maybe 60 feet long. My racing career went south quickly after that...LoL. In the last couple of years while primarily trail riding, I have broke my tail bone 2 more times and now I have a cracked bone in my hand. Some things never change....lots of fun though.

Old 11-30-2001, 05:37 PM
Pro Rider

2 Broken collar bones,Broke wrist,Broke ankle,separated shoulder and a whole lot of bruises.

Old 11-30-2001, 10:26 PM
Range Rover

hehehe... dont laugh at this... 1 Broken Wrist... Cased about a 40 foot double, thats not the thing to laugh at.. this is... the day after i got the cast off, i go to a track, overshoot about a 15 foot double, break my other wrist... also broke a coupla fingers and a toe or two...

Old 12-01-2001, 11:26 AM
Pro Rider

got milk ?

Old 12-01-2001, 01:51 PM
Trailblazer

I first broke my collarbone on a descent sized double behind my house 2 hours after i got my 400ex lol, then last winter i was flying through the field when the snow was hard enough to ride on top of, and i fell in a tractor rut 5th gear pinned, collarbone again. then on may 13th i was racing, i hit a downhill double, and the front end was high, i panicked and pinned it when i shoulda grabbed the rear brakes. came down and broke a ball joint on my BURGARD a-arms i went over the bars, and he quad hit me and flipped down the hill, it went from an endo, to a cartwheel, then a whipping barrel roll. flagman congradulated me on my performance, best crash he seen in 6 years. but anyway, i got a broken hip out of that one.

Old 12-02-2001, 05:43 AM
Pro Rider

2 broken ankles and 3 broken toes(xr250's weren't meant to fly 12 feet up! They bottom real easily and slam your feet into the ground)

Old 12-02-2001, 03:32 PM
Range Rover

I'm shocked I have never broken any bones from the crashes I have had. Maybe my bones are made of Titanium lol.

Old 12-02-2001, 07:07 PM
Pro Rider

You just JINXED yourself

Old 12-03-2001, 08:54 AM
Range Rover

Just came out of an external fixiator on my wrist. I will have to post the pics, it was nice. I broke every bone in my left wrist, and both bones in my forearm. When I do it, I do it good.
I took the holeshot in the MX main at ECMX in North Carolina. The first set of jumps was a long double, mid fourth gear, then a tripple. The tripple was next to impossible for quads, so everybody was doubling in and singleing out. The double in had a steep landing so you had to pitch the front end forward to land smooth. Well I hit the first double in the top of fourth instead of mid, which through me into the tripple with too much speed. I downshifted in the air and tapped the brakes when I landed, but still had too much speed. I hit the tripple and piched my front end forward like I had done all day, and landed right in the face of the third hill.
As soon as I crashed, I jumped right back up and got out of the way so I didn't get landed on. I let the pack pass and flipped my bike back over with thoughts of catching them and winning going through my head. I started the bike back up, bent the controls back into position, and proceded to finish the race. I didn't realize that my wrist was shattered until the next left had turn, when my arm turned and my wrist stayed in place.
All in all, I finished the race, with my left arm across my chest. I even left with a trophy for the weekend. I ended fourth overall. I won the first heat and finished last in the main, but it gave me enough points for fourth place overall. What an experience, can't wait to race again. Yes, my wife thinks I'm nuts, but she knows better than to try and talk me out of racing.

Quick Reply: Broken Bones