ATV Racing Discussions on ATV racing.

Quad Racing

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2002, 10:45 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just have to vent right quick... Why is it that us quad riders don't get any TV coverage and any appreciation? The answer... Well, part of it any way... Factory support. We don't get factory support because of no TV coverage and we don't get TV coverage because of no factory support. Somebody has to have the ***** to "set the trend" and since Honda and Yamaha obviously have their heads way to far up their a$$e$ (I used dollar signs for a reason) or else they are to scared, I'm glad we have companies like Suzuki, Kawasaki, and ofcourse Cannondale. If for any reasone I were to buy a new quad, I wouldn't buy a Honda or Yamaha (new). I like the engines and that they are so reliable and all but if something does happen to your quad (especially after warranty) they won't back you up... Your a number to them, not a name. If my Cannondale were to have some mechanical problem, C-dale would back me up without hesitation. I even heard of someone having constant trouble w/ their clutch (after warranty and it wasn't a recall) and they said they would replace his FX 400 with a brand new Speed at no extra cost, although I think he said he would use cost of the speed and put it down on a moto 440. How many companies do you know that would do that? If you say Honda and Yamaha would, then your livin in a dream world.

My second point: In my opinion quad racing is much more exciting than dirtbike racing. I haven't watched the supercross this season so far because I don't have cable anymore so I'll use last year as an example. Ricky Carmichal dominated. When RC lined up people were wondering who would get second place; they already know that Ricky would win (wow, that is exciting). Even at the local level there is always one guy that always wins. Badlands mx... 80cc Scotty, 125cc Jake, 250cc Chad. In quad races you usually have different people winning and there is lots of passing and different leaders in one race. The only time at Badlands mx (the track I ride at) when there is someone that kills everyone else in the race is when Johnny Hale races. Pro GNC quad racer vs. the local guys... you don't see that much with bike riders. Racing or even practicing on the same track with a pro is really cool even though you know you can't keep up. It's awesome to see a pro fly over a triple right as he passes you... kinda like the best seat in the house. And yet, the bike riders usually have their own personal track and don't ride and hang out with us local guys.

Old 02-15-2002, 11:13 PM
Pro Rider

yodaddy,

This next coming season (2002) the GNCC has made a huge leap to bring the manufacturers back to the park.
First: cannondale has a full sapport team as well as a few quads in every race this year.
Suzuki: Has signed more than one to get off thier R and get on the Z400 part way through the season.
Kawasaki: Has a full sponsored prairie 650 in the utility class, a mojave in the womens class, and a pro rider.

Second: the GNCC has a new class called the Pro-Production class. This will be for +350cc machines that are current production models, with production frames and matching engines, you can mod it how you want it. These quads will run with the pro two strokes, but will have two winners and two payouts.

They also have a new production quad class (B class) this class will be for current production quads below 350cc, the blasters will also run in this class.

What is happening is they are trying to get the manufacturers back into the sport, hense let it grow.
They came very close to getting the quads with bike engines out of the races this year.
They soon (in my opinion) will be fazing out the non production quads. If this works as well as they think, I believe you will see it in the GNC very soon.
So your venting is more like popular opinion, so are answer may be very close.

Old 02-15-2002, 11:55 PM
Pro Rider

Yeah, I've learned about all the rules. I just get tired of Honda and Yamaha being so stuck up and the fact that bike riders think that they're the ****. It takes a little more skill and work to move a machine in the air that weighs 150 lbs more.

Old 02-16-2002, 12:23 AM
Range Rover

Actually, the bikes arent getting too much TV Coverage either. They get like 3 shows a week. The 250s Saturday at like 11, then the 125's at 12, then replays at like 1 AM every 2 days until the next week. Then they get a few other shows like Bluetorch, but thats all freeriding, and I get tired of watching just freeriding, I like the action that racing has.

Old 02-16-2002, 12:26 AM
Pro Rider

oh ya, these forums are so full of buy this quad or bike and your a winner. I've run against some pretty fast machines, but even the fastest, if you can't ride it, see-ya.

But thier is a huge bike quad conflict, I ran bikes all my life and just changed to quads last year. I never realized the conflict untill I got off the bikes.
I pay them no attention, try not to even let them get close.

But I travel with a laid back crowd, and morons realy don't like to mess with poeple who could care less on what they say!!!

Old 02-16-2002, 07:03 AM
Pro Rider

I just got into quads and bikes but I understand there logistics and how they handle and I think I'm a decent rider and would make a great racer.Heres my dilema,the mfgs arent involved.I'd like to get into ametueur quad racing,the dealership by me told me theres really no outlet for it,altho there is for mx bikes sponsorship thru his shop.My point it seems wether bikes or quads 1 it gets sponsors and tv coverage thats when its gets elitist,money talks,every 1 gets there noses in the air and every 1 thinks there hot spit and the little guy trying to get into the sport suffers.What no 1 seems to understand or care bout is make the sport big and popular but dont make it unobtainable which has happened in Supercross bunch of rich kids racing bikes to begin w then they just get even more when the sponsors and mfgs take over.Maybe racing has always been an elitist sport in any form but I am always hearing and reading in mags this struggle along w no place to ride.This Whining and moaning has been goin on for years yet no 1 is doing anything bout it and its just getting more yuppyyized.Makes me kinda wanna puke and give up riding.I just wonder if any 1 else feels like this or is this just the cold hard truth.

Old 02-16-2002, 09:15 AM
Pro Rider

sugerhead,

It is a tough sport and is very very hard to get established.
The promoters have realized the issue that we all can't buy 250R's and dump 15K into them, and the numbers have been showing it. Last year the number of riders were staggering, but even better the complaint boxxes were over flowwing.
The idea of toying with stopping bike engines competing ran against a huge resistance of the poeple who had them. If you can imagine owning one of these custom jobs worth 15 to 20 K and then waking up monday just to find out they are worthless, well we have to understand that.
Installing current production model classes will set this sport on fire, not only do we have a stock only class but soon it will be set up like road racing, stock class, supersport class (Bolt ons but no engine and chassis mods) then modified classes.
What this will do is let the average person buy a quad from the dealer and be able to enter it in a fair class. Then as time progresses you could get your bolt on and move up, and then to go up to modified you, well by this time you realy have to be commited.
I look at the pro class, and man, How in the heck can we do this, look at kawi.
You have a custom chassis, some thing that looks like tecate plastic and a KX 250 motor designed just for this quad. Ok hay, thats graet, were are they, I'll tell you were on kawis GNCC team, now if you could buy one of these from your dealer for about 6K you would be set.
But no, you can't even buy these quads, so whats the point.
Don't give up here, do like the rest of us, go to the local track, get your but whipped and just be patient, are day is coming!!!!!!!

Old 02-16-2002, 09:42 AM
Pro Rider

thank-you for the advice gaff.I saw that too kawasaki has a hi tech kxt 250 and money and no 1 can compete w it that should be illegal.I think its good there stopping bike motors like kx 250 or yz426 it will help the smaller guy.I see it fit that the top top riders its like they dont want any 1 else but a few of them to compete.I was also looking into Mt bike racing and its like the dealers either dont know,dont care,or snooty and this is the blinding attitude that is so bad for our sport that I rleized this years ago,now people are catching on.Quad riders have to be in better shape then bike riders too,last weekend from riding my quad at a moderate pace and Im still hurting from it kinda LOL.Looks like me need sto hit the gym and lay off the count chocula and junk food.Do any of You guys or gals have them new carbon fiber wheels yet?also what does the WB exhaust or bigun system do for the mohave or lakota?I was told i can add bolt ons and it wont defeat my 3 year warranty I just cant do cylinder or valve head work bummer.

Early to bed early to rise,ride like Hell make up lies!

Old 02-16-2002, 10:03 AM
Pro Rider

Yes the stamna you need to compete is staggering. I find I take more positions at the end of a race than any other time, just on the fact I kept in better shape than the others.
You will find at first heading into the last lap it is quite easy just to give up, and then you'll scare your self as you find out you just have enough straingth to hold on forget about passing.

The pipe of choice for mojave and lakota is the supertrapp, I do know that the white bros works well too. With the basic mods I put on the lakota made a huge difference in the machine, nothing comparable to stock. Now I have the 330 kit going in and should be done next week, now ask me then, I should be quite excited.

But no matter how you ride get in shape, start with working those muscles that are hurting, and I find bicycling is not only graet for endurance but ballance as well.
O-ya, better start soon the season is almost here

Old 02-16-2002, 02:04 PM
Pro Rider

i dont have the new carbon fibers wheels but i talked with the sales re at hipper zabout their new 8 inch rim and catch this it has a BUILT in hubs heres a portionn of wat he wrote me

This means that you do not need hubs, the center section of the wheel is
splined to fit the axle in place of your hubs.Here is some information on
our 8x8 wheels and all our other wheels as well. If you have any more
questions fell free to email me back.

Quick Reply: Quad Racing