ATV Racing Discussions on ATV racing.

Any Quad racers in Southern Ca.

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2002, 08:31 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would like to start racing at some of the local tracks, Glen Helan, Compitition Park, Victorville Motocross Park.

The problem is not enough show up. Anybody interested in starting a series? Or just showing up and racing?

Later

Smitty

Old 04-07-2002, 12:45 AM
Trailblazer

Racing quads in the West is tricky... You gotta know people to find out when the biggest races are. I live in Las Vegas and I was getting fed up with racing quads because no matter where I went out here, I was paying $45 to race with 5 or 6 other quads.

Then I found Team So Cal Quad Racing. Check this site out, and click on "Race Schedule". You're pretty much guaranteed a good turnout at any of those races. But e-mail Aaron (the main guy at So Cal Quad Racing) and ask him about the biggest races (if you can't find his e-mail on the SoCal website, his personal site is 400ex.com, and it'll be listed there). This team of quad racers travels all over California and comes out here to Vegas, and sometimes Arizona. Tag along with these guys and quad racing will be much more fun. Every race I've been to with these guys has had an excellent turnout of quads. You'll also see pro quad racer Kory Ellis at a lot of races that these guys attend.

I'm racing the California State MX Qualifier tomorrow (April 7th) at Glen Helen. It'll probably have a turnout of anywhere from 15 to 50 quads. The California State MX Championships are in October... they're AMA sanctioned, so if you win in your class you'll be wearing the California #1 plate and the championship jacket. I'll also be racing the Yamaha Dealer Series at Glen Helen (this is an awesome series). If you want more info e-mail me at mxquad70@hotmail.com.

Old 04-07-2002, 12:05 PM
Pro Rider

Thanks,

I sent Aaron an E-mail about info.

I'm mostly concerned with having skills or someone show me around a track so I don't kill myself. The wife says she'd miss me but the insurance money would help her get over it. LOL.

Thanks

Smitty

Old 04-08-2002, 01:35 AM
Trailblazer

Yes, it is a dangerous sport. I just got back from quick care with a broken thumb (i did it at glen helen today, no joke). But I was pushing myself too hard. Dont worry about getting around the track, we all roll all of the jumps the first couple laps of practice. And skills will come with practice... just know your limit and dont be pressured into pushing it too far, like i did today. The most important thing is being in excellent physical condition... most people are very surprised at how physically demanding this sport is when they first try it. But racing is a lot of fun, and i'll be back out at glen helen in a month or so.

Old 04-08-2002, 12:12 PM
Pro Rider

Does, this mean I need t quit smoking and drinkin? LOL When I go to the dunes I can pretty much ride all day same on the trails. I went to Glen Helan once for a race and just putted around the track it was so rough that I couldn't get any speed up and the mud was horrid.

What excercizes do I need to start for arm pump and stuff? any help would be nice. I'm 39 so I don;t think I'll be burning up the track.

Smitty

Old 04-08-2002, 09:05 PM
Trailblazer

Push-ups and pull-ups really help... and you'll fit right in being 39. I'm 16 and I'm usually the youngest quad racer at the track. Just remember we're all out there to have fun... winning is nice, but just finishing the race and knowing you tried your best feels good. I hope to see you out there in a month or two.