ATV Racing Discussions on ATV racing.

1/8th mile asphalt drag racing in Southeast Missouri

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2002, 07:37 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey guys & gals,

Just a few weeks ago, they re-opened the dragstip in Benton, MO and they are allowing quads to run. So far, they are not having any eliminations, just heads up, run for fun type racing. It is great for grudge racing your buddies. I will try to get the phone numbers and post here for anyone that may want to call them. They race on Friday evenings, I believe the track opens at 7 pm and gates open around 6 pm.

To run an ATV, all that is required is a helmet. I would recommend wearing a little more protection, but they leave that up to you.

So far the attendance has not been very good, atvs nor cars. I'm afraid if they don't see an increase in vehicles soon that they may decide not to run it.

The strip is located about 5 minutes off I-55 Exit # 80.

Daren
98 Banshee
01 CBR 929

Old 05-01-2002, 12:50 AM
Pro Rider

This is good news.Seeing as I am building a racecar(86 camaro with a big block)And a fast 250r.When I get one them done.(The R will be first)I will surely go down there.I live right next to I-55.I mean I can walk there in less than a minute.I could probably find it fairly easily.

Thanks again

Old 05-01-2002, 01:24 PM
Pro Rider

Hey Ugly,

I used to live near Bloomsdale so I am really familiar with Festus. I work for the railroad that runs trains through the middle of town there too.

I mainly ride at St. Joe. I ride a fast white and blue 98 Banshee with Paul Turner Pipes. We've probably seen each other out there and didn't realize it.

Anyways, I'm glad that someone has finally shown some interest in this type of racing. We need to get the word out so that we can get a good number of quads down there.

Daren

Old 05-01-2002, 02:33 PM
Pro Rider

I know quite a few people that run 300 ft sand drags at big river.So I will try and see if We could all go down there.

I think it would be pretty cool.

ttyl

Old 05-01-2002, 02:35 PM
Pro Rider
THEBOM Racing. If it don't scare you a little, it's not going fast enough !!!

O K Daren,don't be pickin on the new guys. LOL
They said my 500quadracer motor will be here Thur for sure.
It seems there is always a hold up.
Any more thoughts on the new motor?
Its about time for another ride a St. Joes.
Let me know.

Old 05-01-2002, 05:37 PM
Pro Rider

Hey UGLY,

I know some of the guys from the sand drags. Steve Kelly (400ex NOS), Brandon (blue Banshee), Jay Miller (440 ex), Brandon with the 250/310/330? powervalved R, Davey and his 3wheelers, Jason Waller, and some other guys. I just don't have contact with any of them except Steve and Jay. I have run at Big River on a few different occassions although I have no intentions of ever racing there again.

I got a phone number for the track in Benton. A friend told me that it is (573) 545-9366. I will check the flyer that is posted at the Honda/Yamaha Dealer in Cape Girardeau to make sure that number is correct. Let me know in advance if some guys are going to come down, so that I can try to get off work and make it down there.

JEFF THEBOM,

Hope that your motor gets here soon. I know how anxious you must be. It is time for another ride at St. Joe. I haven't been there in probably a month. I won't be picking on anyone at the strip. There may be some bikes show up that put me to shame. Nothing new to the Banshee. Probably won't do any more to it. But, the wheels are always turning. HEHE. My neighbor doesn't call me "Sneaky Pete" for nothing. LOL!

They are starting flat track racing at Blodgett this Friday. They supposedly have leased the go-cart/mini sprint track. I think it is a 1/5th mile oval. I can't decide if I want to pursue this or not. $4000 for the Roll Design/Custom Axis Suspension kit is a lot of greenbacks. I get my biggest enjoyment from riding at St Joe, so I'll probably leave the Banshee alone and buy me a 400ex to ride the trails.

Hope to see you all on the flats soon.

Daren

Old 05-01-2002, 05:51 PM
Pro Rider

Davey eubanks is one of the guys I know.He just bought a sand dragging banshee frame and put his 540 motor in it.It is pretty nice.Real nice really.I will run down there when I get my R done.It is more setup for mx.But it will have plenty of ***** for drag racing to.So I will run down there.

ttyl

Old 05-02-2002, 01:50 AM
Pro Rider

Ugly & TheBom

I went and double checked the information about the drags. The gates open at 6:30 pm, the track opens at 7 pm, and they run until midnight on Fridays. It costs $10 to race (no membership fees, just $10). Spectators cost $6 and children 11 and under are free. The phone number for the track is (573)545-9366 and for more info (573)888-3644.

So far there hasn't been more than 4 ATVs there and that counts me. Hopefully we can change that. And once again, they are NOT RUNNING ELIMINATIONS. No trophies, no money. You can run as much as you want against whoever you want. With a lot of bikes it could be quite fun.

I will probably be working this Friday, but I should be able to go sometime this month.

Daren

Old 05-07-2002, 12:28 AM
Pro Rider

Hey Daren...waassuupp. I need to correct you on the 440....it's now a 465. It was a last minute decision. I got it finished up last Thursday and rode it on Saturday and the stock clutch kept me from finding out what it would do....slipped big time. This Benton drag strip sounds like a good time. Do they race every friday. What kind of tires you running? I rode your buddies Sparks Raptor last Sunday and was surprised by the power. I FINALLY got the Pol running good and probably picked up a good 8 bike lenghts from how it ran before. I'm sure your shee will still be smoking me. Anyway, maybe I can drag Steve and Brandon down to Benton to have some friday night fun.

Jay

Old 05-07-2002, 01:50 AM
Pro Rider

Hey Jay, it has been a while. Sounds like everything is going well.

I had intentions of going to St. Joe Sunday, but I didn't make it home from work in time. I was stuck in Memphis, TN all weekend. Bummer. As soon as I got home, I heard how fast your Polaris was. Jason (Raptor) was really impressed. I haven't even had the chance to ride his Raptor with the new jets.

I had already heard about the 465 with oversize valves, Carillo Rod, and alky?. I usually know what most people are up to. You get that clutch lined out and I bet it'll be a screamer! I love to see good running 400's. I'm a Honda guy at heart.

The track in Benton does run every Friday night. I would recommend that you call first since you will be hauling so far. Rain has been a pain in the butt lately. They don't have eliminations, just grudge racing. It is a lot of fun though.

The first night down there I ran my 400 ex knobbies. The track was a little damp and the tires spun terribly. I now have a set of 20x10x10 American Racers (mini sprint tires). They seem to work well, but I haven't figured out the right gears to run.

Hopefully I'll be off this Friday. I would really like it if we all could get together and play around down there. How is Steve? I haven't heard from him in quite some time. As a matter of fact, I tried to email you and received a reject message. I was surprised that it took this long for you to respond.

Anyways, hope we can all go racing soon.

Daren

Quick Reply: 1/8th mile asphalt drag racing in Southeast Missouri