ATV Racing Discussions on ATV racing.

Xc Mx or TT NO BASHING!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2002, 02:03 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got a question and i know some people are gonna say mx tt or xc so dont start saying one sport is better then the other i just want to know wat i should do....

i have a 86' 250r now the raptor is gone due to divorce...

i definitly need a axle and carrier to ride

i think i would race either xc mx or tt mx especially

but which sport is gonna be cheaper?

can i race mx and not have to shell out all this money for a nyce quad and still have a machine thats not gonna bog out or bottom out?

these questions seem simple to some people but i havent been able to decide and i qanteed some INTELLEGIENT input not just some 15 yr old kid that just got his STTOCK quad and thinks he knows everything about racing i want to be able to talk to someone thats been in this sport for awhile and hey they might be 15 yrs old so i wont bash that .....

im me @ alleyezonme1212@aol.com

Old 06-14-2002, 02:33 AM
Trailblazer

Well, I race MX, and XC but never TT. I will say though that MX is pretty expensive. Shocks, axle's, rims, and a-arms add up fast. And I believe TT is about the same cause of your sway bars and stuff, and you have to widen your quad. I would have to say XC is probably the cheapest. Just for the simple fact most people already have trail tires and stuff like that. Other than an oversized gas tank, you could be competitive in a lower class on that. Not saying that suspension doesn't help you out on the trail cause it definitly does but you could get by running your stock shocks for a while, a lot easier than on a motocross track. Plus you can run your stock a-arms. Well I hope this helps you out a little. But racing is just like anything else, you get better and you wear your quad out...thats in any type of racing. Thats why stuff breaks so we can buy aftermarket!!!!

Old 06-14-2002, 02:36 AM
Trailblazer

to be fast at mx your looking at a lot of money these days. shocks a-arms
axle motor work

TT your looking at much the same set up as MX including swaybar and a shoter swing arm

i would say go for XC can do good with just motor work as long as the stock shocks are in good shape and your a fast trail rider .
should be ok

Old 06-14-2002, 10:10 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

XC is definitely the most affordable to get started with. However, its like all forms of racing, you still have the ability to spend lots of money. It all depends on what level you race at and what you are willing to spend. The rider also plays a bigger part in XC from the standpoint of endurance and the abiltity to see the proper line to avoid bottlenecks or the wrong line through a creek crossing, etc...

Old 06-14-2002, 10:19 AM
Pro Rider

whats a bottleneck?

Old 06-14-2002, 12:27 PM
Pro Rider

A tough section on the course, a couple guys hit it at the same time, first guy crashes or gets stuck, the rest stop or crash into him, a couple minutes later, everyone gets going again. Chances are if you pay attention to the trail ahead, you can see this, take a different line to avoid it, and pass multiple people at once. Usually see this a lot on the first lap. Typical course is set up to follow a path through the woods marked by arrows. As long as you stay within 20 feet of the arrow, you are on course. The one exception is if there are 2 arrows on either side of the path pointing at each other, "-> path <-", you must go between the arrows. If you are following someone, always take the alternate line if one is available so if he crashes or makes a mistake, you can blow right by him. An example would be in one race, we dropped into a creak bed for about 50 yds to the first exit up out, with 2 more about 15 yards and 30 yards down. The course then had the 3 paths funnel back into one path in an open field. Everyone was trying to take the first exit and about 4 or 5 guys were hung up, I kept going to the 3rd exit and passed them all and by the end of the field where everything merged back up, I didn't even see anyone behind me, gained at least 30 seconds and 5 positions by avoiding the bottleneck at the first line by paying attention and taking the alternate line.

Old 06-14-2002, 01:07 PM
Pro Rider

Thanks for expanding my mind on the slang lol ill remember to watch out for "bottolnecks" when i decide to get into xc which is now my choice i think more becuase i grew up riding in the woods and id feel more confortable racing it i think

Old 06-14-2002, 03:54 PM
Pro Rider

I see you're from Wooster, so you should check these 3 websites for more info on local racing, CRA , D-12 (Northern Ohio) , and D-11 (Southern Ohio) . The CRA is an independent orginization and D-11 and D-12 are the 2 AMA districts for Ohio. Also, for any type of racing you'll find in Ohio, you will be happier with the R than you would have been with the Raptor. See my sig [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 06-14-2002, 10:37 PM
Pro Rider

thank you for being so helpful and maybe someday when i get this quad back runnin(axle and carrier) ill come and visit you and go riding for a day or something im sure we can find somewhere to ride interesting maybe even a race

Old 06-15-2002, 12:29 PM
Pro Rider

That's cool, you live about 1 1/2 hours from me. Right now, my R is totally torn apart. The frame and swingarm are in Avon Lake with a friend getting a little reinforcing work and powdercoating. I'll get that stuff back in about 2 weeks. From there, the re-assembly work begins. I ride down at Wayne National Forest quite a bit for my play ridding and run the occasional D-11 harescramble. Next year I plan to run most of the D-11 races and a couple GNCCs. I may run a race or 2 on the CRA series also.

Quick Reply: Xc Mx or TT NO BASHING!!!