ATV Racing Discussions on ATV racing.

NEATV-MX 2003 SEASON OPENER....AT SOUTHWICK

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2003, 01:51 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NEATV-MX 2003 SEASON OPENER....AT SOUTHWICK

OK....to all on this website....Who raced this Sunday at the NEATV-MX 2003 opener?....I know, I was there as well at derek, aka Raptorguy.... so here is how my racing went..... Weather was perfect....55 degress, strong sun, a little wind and cool dry air...perfect for racing......all the motors where running strong.....as for my Sparks 690....it kicks ars.....so much that is scares me.....anyway......I raced in the 30+ class instead of the open A.....glad i did too.....because the 30+ class runs early in the morning and afternoon sessions and as typical of southwick....the track gets really whooped out after a day of 330 quads racing mutliple moto's...Yes gentlemen and women.....NEATV-MX had 330 entries on Sunday.....It was a great site to see.....The women's class had 8 racers.....Now that's awesome........This season NEATV-MX should see record numbers......TO ALL in New England....come out and race......So, the 30+ class had 27 entries, which dictated two qualifiers.....I raced the first qualifier.....to keep this post short, I will give it to you quick.....Was, 10th off the holeshot, and past 3 riders in 4 laps......ended up with a 7th place finish and an automatic trip to the Main. As for all who question the "twistgrip" throttle assembly on a Raptor.....Here is my experience....I put a push/pull on my Raptor the night before Sunday's race.....Now sure if that was the smartest thing to do.....but hell i did it......so practice was scary....took alot of "mentally" adjust to the twist.....but overall i liked it....no arm or thumb pump....bonus for me......During the qualifier....i rode fairly aggressive and didnt have to much trouble with grabbing too much throttle....7th place finish in the 30+ class is respectable.....lots of pros and experts run this class....Now for the Main.............Had basically the same position coming off the holeshot, 10th or 11th...not quite sure.....racing my ars off and fast and smooth as possible....past 5 or 6 riders....and ended up in 5th position with 6th place more than 10 seconds back....i was very happy with my riding and how my raptor handled the track......as for the twistgrip in the Main.....well i found out why many are scared of a twist grip on a quad......three times coming into corners with huge braking bumps....i grabbed a sh!tload of throttle when i should be grabbing breaks......thank god I widened my raptor to 50" front and rear.....went around the berm on two wheels....hang my ars off the inside......holly mackerl....i thought i smelled poop....but when i checked my shorts after the race...there was none......to my surprise.....so overall I place well and got some seat time with my new twist grip......the jury is still out on there i leave it on my raptor....have to do some more practicing.....anyway....to all here who race...just thought i would give ya some lowdown on the NEATV-MX racing here in New England.......until next time........keep the hair up and the rubber down............hehe

herbdon...aka donald........#352

Old 04-14-2003, 04:25 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Congrats on the ride Donald. By the way, that's a nice setup on your Raptor. That thing is sweet!

Old 04-14-2003, 04:49 PM
Pro Rider

I too raced this past Sunday in the 30+ class.

I was in the second qualifier. I was in 7th place when I spun out right on the corner before the last jump before the finish line. The one you jump into the hole. I ended up in 9th by the time I got to the line. In the LCQ I came in 2nd so I was able to make the main.

For the main I had a terrible gate position. Way to the inside. Rather than get caught up in the mess, I waited a 1/2 second and got to the outside for a clean start. Then on the first lap I was behind some one that got stuck on a rut. I was too tired already from the LCQ to get off and move my quad, so I waited for the other guy to move. By this time the field was gone. So I pretty much too it easy and played on the track for the last three laps. I did catch the tail of the pack by the end of the race, but between no energy and the one laned whooped out track, there was not fight left in me.

Not sure of the overall, since they did not post the results by the time I left.

Old 04-14-2003, 10:57 PM
Pro Rider

I to raced there my # was 666 I raced a ds650 with the blue seat. I racer C class open and took the hole shot both motos. First moto in the first corner I sliped 1 place back. coming out of the woods in to the hair pin S turn I rolled and every one passed me. I fought back and passed 10 people to finish 6th place.Moto 2 I lead out of the gate for 2 laps wath a raptor giving me a run when I looked back and there was a banshee on my butt. I had no fight left and went wide letting him take the inside. I finished that moto in 2nd taking 2nd for the day. not bad for my 2nd race and first on the ds. last year I raced my raptor and did really bad it has motor work and was withend dut no shocks or a arms. it was to expensive to get it race ready and its going on its 4th tranny. this one will be an 02 tranny. see you in my home town in two weeks (rochester)

Old 04-17-2003, 02:13 PM
Weekend Warrior

I was at Southwick for that race too. I was suppose to race but I went out Sat. and broke a balljoint so I couldn't race on Sunday. My friend raced the 30+ for the first time and got his *** kicked. He was the guy on the warrior. He also raced the C class and did alot better. I was amazed how many people were in the 30+, and how fast they were.
I've never been to Southwick before and I couldn't believe how ruff the track was by the end of the first session. To me it looked like racing would totally suck when it gets that ruff.
The next race is at Rochester...has anyone seen this track yet? What's it like?
Also, what is Jolly Roger's track like? Does it get in bad shape like Southwick? Is it harder to ride than Southwick? This is my first year racing and I need to get in shape so I'd like to go out on the easiest track first. After seeing Southwick last Sun. I was glad my balljoint was broke....I would of been a ragdoll out there

Old 04-17-2003, 02:51 PM
Range Rover

MIke,
what were you riding at the southwick race.....i would like to meet ya someday....hell we should ride some time........i live in Hebron.......not far from ya........my buddy was behind ya, when you spun out....he said he almost nailed ya......hehehehehe.......i, #352, had an ok start in the main, prolly 10th-11th after the first turn.........but past a few riders down the washboard section and up the hill in the woods,....i also past my buddy #43...the one who almost hit ya........i got a helping hand when 3 riders got stuck in the berm on the tight s-bead at the bottom of the hill coming out of the woods.....

dsracer666, i saw you on that DS650 witht the blue seat......was impressed with your riding.......u handle that big quad well.....i watched the banshee reel ya in.....didnt see the pass tho......good job on your finish......i cant wait to see the new track in rochester.....

raptorahole,,,
southwick can be brutal with alot of quads running multiple motos.....but that's the nature of southwick.....ride it smart and smooth or it will bite ya in the ***.......be happy it rained for two days prior to the race.....a dry southwick track turns into, and i am being literal here....4-6 foot high whoops, and some of those whoops get straight faces......the memorial race last year was killer....i was grateful for a 13th overall finish......hell i was happy i finished at all.......hehehehehehe..........Jolly Rogers, is totally different from Southwick......it's smooth, hard pack track with tons of jumps groomed for quads.....the layout of the track rocks.....i love that track....you can go really fast on it......the guys with the high horsepower machines tend to do better on this track.....the damn banshee's have an advantage at jolly rogers...........as for the rochester track.......it's being built this week.....should be awesome.....i do know that i will have a whoop section, some doubles, and tabletops.....i talked to one of the NEATV-MX guys at Southwick.........should be great....i can wait.........

hope to cya all at the track in rochester............
herbdon out.......

Old 04-17-2003, 08:14 PM
Pro Rider

hey, thank herbdon as far as rochester I just went over and there's about a pickup truck load of dirt there and that's it! from what I've heard there isn't going to be big jumps it's going to be safe track. they better get there butt in gear! they only have 9 day left to finish. see ya there hopefully.

Old 04-18-2003, 02:19 PM
Range Rover

Hey guys I was there too.. Runninf in the 250c class. Had a blast once again. This year seems very promising for all. Great start for the year. I do have a question for you guys. A friend of mine has a 6 year old and he wants to race. He is on a qaudsport 80 now but he can't run it due to the restrictions on class and age. So I was wondering what they run in that 0-70cc class? Any specific qaud better than the other? Thanks for the help.
See you guys at Rochester

Old 04-18-2003, 05:30 PM
Pro Rider

I seen alot of E ton vipers.

Old 04-18-2003, 10:49 PM
Pro Rider

hey guys I went by the track today and there was only about 9or10 truck loads there and still no doser or bucket loader. just wanted to give you guys heads up.

Quick Reply: NEATV-MX 2003 SEASON OPENER....AT SOUTHWICK