ATV Racing Discussions on ATV racing.

livin in the real world......input please

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2003, 09:55 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default livin in the real world......input please

ok well here goes...im a 17 year old youngster if u will...i race a 250r thats moded to be a A class quad...i went to Daniel boone last year, lorrettas last year and Daniel Boone this year..ive only be to those 3 nationals and im 0-3..i tried for B class..i know that if i go back down to C class i can qualify but i dont wanna loose what confidence i have..i know im a b class rider. im the best of the best at my local tracks...im not braggin its the truth..now that you know the info heres the deal.. what i want outa life is to go pro...GNC MX...i want it bad..so bad that if for some reason i dont get it i feel like i failed everything..this is defently my dream...the thing is i dont know how to get it... i mean i know to work hard and all that.. but i dont know how hard to work..im so afraid i'll fail, im lettin time slip by...ive been racing since i was 13..(4 years)..and i have come somewhat a long ways..but to be what i want to be i want to take it to the next level..i guess the thought of failure is whats getting at me....i want to be the one whos the Peoples Pro...im gona be just as social as anyone..some pros are really really stuck up no names..but i've tried talking to them..the people i look up to put there nose up when i try to honor them..thats not right...i want to be the one who anyone can walk up to without the intimadation..im gona do what alot of racers wont do..admit that im scared of some things in racing...im fast on the ground but i cant jump..i mean my quads fast enough and i know how..i just cant set it right in my mind...i need help in alot of places...support courage and everything else that falls in that line...and i know that the people who can help me the most are right here...and i need all the help and everything you all might be able to offer....thanks....Michael # 151

Old 04-28-2003, 10:15 PM
Pro Rider

Im no quad racer but, My opinion to you is; Dont give up hope, Be as polite as you can with a good sense of humor. Dont be cauky. Meet as many people as you can. Keep a smile on. One day if someone you meet likes you personaly they may be conected and help out your racing future. The reason I am saying this is I meet this guy and liked his atitude towards people. So I put him in the drivers seat of my race car,not because he was the best but because he was a people person and good for the sponser. This is just my opinion. like I said, I dont know much about atv racing.

Old 04-28-2003, 10:20 PM
Pro Rider

hang in there, where with ya! if your as fast as you think (I not being an a$$) and you don't jump thats whats slowing you down. go to your local riding area and just pratice jumping and not the same jump, veriety is the key. start small and work your way up, what I did was built a wood ramp in two piece so it was easy to move. started small just kept going bigger, when you find your comfort spot start ajusting the bike in the air in case you ever get messed up in the air you will no what to do. also get a friend to watch you ride as you atack a new section he can tell you what your doing wrong. if you slow down because of arm pump or get tired fast try riding more, lifting, and running.

ps. tell me more info, do you get the hole shot? do people catch you in the corners, woophs, strights, jumps? do you lead in till you tire?

Old 04-30-2003, 06:54 PM
Pro Rider

found a nice natural step-down from an orchard over the levee and into the river bottom(dry)
Althought the jump is only about 25ft its completely blind and when you look down you can only see river bottom(seems like you are 20ft in the air)this broke my fear of bieng to high in the air on my quad...
May start a huge argument here but I think its very important to be mentaly prepared to "bail" in mid-air
while this isn't generally the best option I see about 1/2 the injuries from crashes where I would have cashed in my ticket...
do smaller jumps where you can practice manipulating the quad in the air
I can't seem to master jumping either but I try...I'm the guy whos always standing on the rev limiter in the air or completely overshooting a landing

Old 04-30-2003, 08:16 PM
Pro Rider

it all depends better to bail in the air then after you land on your bumper or grab bar, after that the bike lands on you. I know my **** when it comes to jumping!

Old 04-30-2003, 11:09 PM
Pro Rider

I must be doing something right I've been winning all my races on a quad that every one makes fun of. hears a situation your climing a wall with a 4' vert at the top you lanch to high and are pointing to the sky do you

A: try to ride it out and come down on the grab and rear tires with no help from the rear suspention and maybe go back down the hill with the quad on top?

B:bail off the side and let the bike go down the hill by itself?

C:bail off the back pushing the bike forward and maybe landing on the hill witch is usaly soft from digging?

I want every ones info just put A, B, or C or other realistic answer.

Old 05-01-2003, 01:57 PM
Pro Rider

the thing is I was hitting it all weekend and while I went to the store someone rutted it up! The bike only went about 6' in the air and bent the Axle when it hit.

Old 05-01-2003, 02:13 PM
Range Rover

I believe ridley is right. I've done that a few times. Not that I'm a jumper, cause big air off uneven jumps scare the crap out of me, but, I've never bailed and have been lucky so far, I quess.

Old 05-01-2003, 02:20 PM
Pro Rider

I just konw from experance some times I bail and some time I don't. do you recall on MTV when that snowmobile junped the ski lift over shot and bailed he was fine but his sled looked like a pretzel!!

Old 05-01-2003, 06:57 PM
Trailblazer

ok can we keep to the subject...dont wanna be an a$S ..but i need help..thanks

Quick Reply: livin in the real world......input please