ATV Racing Discussions on ATV racing.

I'm 50 and want to race...

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2003, 05:08 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I'm 50 and want to race...

Well, hare scrambles race #2 coming up on Sat. June 7. It's a 25 mi. loop. I'll be carrying my GPS so I can re-ride the route in the future if I'm ever down there recreating. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

I expect it to be very dusty. I wear hard contact lenses so I hope my goggles keep out the dust. Does anyone wear a dust mask while racing? What do you use to keep your goggles from fogging up?

This time I'll have a good helmet, the chest protector, gloves, riding pants, long sleeve shirt, and maybe boots. And I'm in better shape physically.

How do you wear a Camelback with that chest protector, on top or underneath?

I ended up buying a Kawi V-Force 700 and I have about 120 mi. on it so far. I took a day off of work last week and put 62 mi. on it, then rode it all of Memorial Day weekend. I've done the first maintenance engine oil/filter change and rear drive oil change. The power, automatic, and reverse appealed to me. I almost bought the Predator but it doesn't have reverse, and I needed it a few times during my first race. Plus the automatic is just easier to ride.

The dealer jetted the bike for our altitude of around 5000 ft. I got 19.6 mpg during the first 60 mi and about 16-17 mpg during Memorial Day weekend. So I think the stock tank will get me through a 25 mi. race.

I've got Elka shocks on order and I'm hoping they'll arrive this week so I can install them for the race. Elka has charged my credit card so I'm pretty sure they'll be shipping soon.

I heard that the tie-rod ends are weak on the 700. I don't plan to beat the crap out of it like I did my Vinson during the first race. This is my first race on a sport bike.

My goals are first to have fun, second to compete. Easier said than done when the adrenaline kicks in. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

You all were a tremendous help during my first race so thanks again. If you have any advice for racing the 700, or the Camelback, please feel free to reply.

Thanks,
Mark

Old 06-01-2003, 02:05 AM
Range Rover

Good luck Mark stay safe and have fun!
Let us know how this one turns out.
I really really want to get in to this too but with a new baby the wife is more than a little reluctant to give her blessing.

Old 06-01-2003, 04:03 AM
Range Rover

Wow....

Mark and Dirtgirl....You've both inspired me....

I've been riding ATV's since I was 14 when my dad bought me an ATC 185s.
I rode that thing into the ground every day and it never quit on me.

Recently, I bought a Grizzly 660, and I love it...it's my baby.
But I'd really like to try a harescramble on it. I read this entire post tonight and I must tell you Mark, that your story was quite detailed and I'm totally pumped right now to go look for the next race to run in my area. My heart is pounding trying to envision your dead-engine start. Sounds like a SUPER blast.

Thank you for sharing your experiences. I assume that I'll need to realize that my quad will be damaged in some way and thus will be costly which will require me to think about the risks.
Keep us posted on your June 7 ride. I'm pumped for you!!! Have fun, be safe, and go a little harder this time. Shoot for top 15!!!

Good Luck!!

Chris Chandler

Old 06-01-2003, 11:26 PM
Pro Rider

Wolley, Fruitjacket,
Thanks for the kind words. I'd encourage you guys to find a series in your area and give it a try. 3TV is giving it a try this coming week too.

You don't have to rip up your machines either. I plan to be a little more careful with the V-Force this time out. I'm hoping to gain a little more experience each time out. Most of the time during my first race I was by myself going as fast as I thought safe and being challenged by the terrain. Even that was fun because you're always anticipating, thinking, trying to pick the fastest or smoothest line through the rocks, whoops, etc. while trying to find the next course marker.

I was told that the Cherry Creek National in May was the toughest course of this desert series that I'm doing. I hope that's true. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Dirtgirl did a race on 5/31, I wonder how she did..... Maybe if she reads this she can share her race day experience.

I'm getting pumped already; I hope I can sleep this week.
Mark

Old 06-01-2003, 11:36 PM
Pro Rider

Hay man seeing how everyone else answered your questions so Ill just say i hope you do well and most of all HAVE FUN!!!! oh and be sure to post the results.

Old 06-02-2003, 01:35 AM
Pro Rider

There was one word to describe the race this weekend - MUDDY!!!! Here are some pics from the weekend... start pic1 pic2 pic3 pic4

I got stuck a few times and crashed a couple times and ended up with a DNF because my clutch cable got so packed with mud that I couldn't work it good enough to get up one of the bigger hills...

The overall winners in the afternoon class were:
1st place Bill Ballance
2nd Chad Duvall
3rd Joe Kish

I ran the morning session and ran the women's class.. Here is how that one went:
1st Traci Cecco
2nd Stephanie Parton
3rd Angel Atwell
4th Nicole Pennycook
5th Heidi Landon
6th Jean Lovely
7th Jennifer Fulkerson
8th Erika Jones
9th Missie Legge
DNF Joann Justus and me

This race was definitely a utility quad race... they seemed to have the best advantage at least in the morning class.. It didn't stop raining for us for very long. Wasn't raining on the start but not too far into the race it started pouring... On that starting line pic I am the one right inthe middle of the pic on the Honda (red) right behind that Raptor...

podium

Old 06-02-2003, 04:06 PM
Pro Rider

Mark, i've raced in extremely dusty conditions like you describe out in eastern washington. it was so bad i could barely see the quads in front of me 15 ft during the start and it did couse some wrecks. further into the race i could see farther, but was going faster,
my recommendations:
-no tear-offs on the goggles(dust gets between the lens & tear-off), start with a clean lens
- use a light oil on the gogle air flow foam ( thin foam on top & bottom) to prevent dust from entering your goggles.. but don't get it on the lens
- my goggles fog up until i get going, try the scott no-fog cloth on the inside, also you can have them off up until just before the race starts
-once started do not take the goggles off unless they get completely caked with mud, dust will coat the inside & make it worse... a little dust on the outside isn't bad
-markers are hard to see when coming up on them fast in thick dust, be ready to make a quick change in direction.
-the camelback i use is a hip-belt type, and i have no problems fitting with the chest protector. my water hose runs over my shoulder. i've seen some guys strap the backpack type to the chest protector somehow. if you try it see how it all fits before the race.

dirtgirl, thanks for the report, sounds like a tough race.

Old 06-02-2003, 08:34 PM
Pro Rider

Dual-sporter,
Great tips for the dust. I'm real anxious about getting dust inside the goggles because I wear hard contacts and it would kill me to get an eyeful. I've thought about wearing my glasses under my goggles instead but I don't see as well with them.

I'm thinking of maybe a light vegetable oil on the top and bottom foam. A product called Zukes was recommended to me for fogging goggles. I was told I can buy it at an auto parts store. I guess it's a glass cleaner of some type. I'll try to get a can this week.

I anticipate dust as you described where it's hard to see very far in front of you. I've been on rides at Jamborees where you couldn't see 10-15ft feet ahead of you because of dust. I may lay back a little on the start to be safe. Don't want to crash and end up DNF.

And great idea about strapping the Camelbak to the back of the chest protector. I'll give that a try.

Well I went and bought riding boots today. Damn, they're expensive!!!! I hope they make me faster. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Dirtgirl, after last week's race, maybe you should change your username to mudgirl. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] I enjoyed the pics. Reminded me of home. I grew up in Western PA. It looked like you rode through pure soup. Cream of mushroom??

This week, the ATV class is starting in the a.m. with the Mini motorcycles. I'm pretty sure we'll have first crack at the course.

I was reading the latest dirt wheels mag where they asked the pro racers for tips. One (forget who) said that you should get the handling and suspension dialed in before doing any engine mods. Makes sense to me. If I get my Elkas this week, I'll install them and maybe try to dial them in a little in the evening after work.

Mark

Old 06-04-2003, 11:58 AM
Trailblazer

You waited awhile!I'm 52 years old and retired and took my money and buiilt a track in SW Arkansas for dragracing and speedracing with a tt lane-I crashed last fall after the track lanes were built. I went airborne at 70 m.p.h up into the atmosphere,so high,so high,so high-My wife flipped and went ranting and raving that she had married a 12 year old. My youngest child 10-said"what was it like,Daddy?".My oldest (27)said "Mommy,he's crazy". Prescottspeedway-built by a12 year old in a 52 year old body.Come on down! Then she sold my machine-!You waited awhile.

Old 06-04-2003, 02:25 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: dodge50
You waited awhile!I'm 52 years old and retired and took my money and buiilt a track in SW Arkansas for dragracing and speedracing with a tt lane-I crashed last fall after the track lanes were built. I went airborne at 70 m.p.h up into the atmosphere,so high,so high,so high-My wife flipped and went ranting and raving that she had married a 12 year old. My youngest child 10-said"what was it like,Daddy?".My oldest (27)said "Mommy,he's crazy". Prescottspeedway-built by a12 year old in a 52 year old body.Come on down! Then she sold my machine-!You waited awhile.
I'm sorry, but if I was married to somebody who flipped out and sold my quads, there would definitely be a WAR! I would be ready to kick somebody's butt for sure!

Quick Reply: I'm 50 and want to race...