ATV Racing Discussions on ATV racing.

I'm 50 and want to race...

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2003, 11:15 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I'm 50 and want to race...

That's what I took to Millfield... Knew it was going to be a muddy mess there that weekend so I figured I would do just as good on it as anything else...

Old 06-11-2003, 11:27 PM
Pro Rider

Pineway,
Here's the link to the ATVA/AMA site:
http://www.atvaonline.com/race/index.asp

On this web page is a link with the ATVA/AMA Sports Rules. Take a few minutes and read it. I learned a lot when I did.

BTW, where is Langhorne? I grew up in Western PA.

Hope this helps.
Mark

Old 06-12-2003, 04:54 PM
Pro Rider

mark- i'm glad to see that some of the ideas helped you out. maybe if things work out i can make one of those later races.

sm0k3d- there are also MX races at woodlandMX outside of woodland, WA which is really close to you. as for any XC races in the NW there aren't many and usually they are in fall & spring.... although, i'm not sure why. poker runs are not competitive races but just trail rides for fun. i have whole handfull of sites for different tracks, clubs, etc. here in teh NW if you want it.

Old 06-12-2003, 06:14 PM
Pro Rider

Now see if you lived in Ohio, you would be all set for racing! We have it all it think... Well maybe everything but ice racing - don't think they do that anywhere around here.

Old 06-12-2003, 10:06 PM
Pro Rider

Thank goodness i live in north Georgia, the GNCC races are everywere around were i live. There is also a lot of local races that are were i live, i am so lucky.

Old 06-13-2003, 12:55 AM
Pro Rider

Dual-sporter,
Thanks again for the advice. Almost all of the tips I received were right on. Now I just need to gain a little more expereience and overcome FOT (Fear of throttle) [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] and I'll be better. The V-Force is awesome. For the type of racing I'm doing, it has more than enough juice.

RE: the number of races in our locales, seems we don't realize how lucky we have it until someone remarks how their area doesn' t have any races.

I live in an area where the (Rocky) mountains overshadow my house and the desert races are held a couple of hours away. Utah is extremely ATV friendly, and has the oldest Jamboree in the nation in the National ATV Jamboree in Fillmore, UT (16 years running) which by the way is 6/23-6/28. C'mon out. The people in Fillmore are some of the friendliest you'll meet. I'm thinking of moving there in a few years. Every year Michelle and I take a couple of days off and ride to fishing spots to dry fly fish. One stream out of Kanosh, UT, 15 mi. from Fillmore, called Corn Creek was once rated the 2nd best trout stream in the state until the floods of '83-'84. It is still a great stream. Last year we rode our ATVs as far up the canyon as possible and walked maybe 1/4 mile in. You could look down in the stream from the side of the canyon and see these huge brown trout. What a tease....We did catch some nice ones. However we saw 3 rattlers while there. All of the local folk warned us many times about the snakes. One stopped me in my tracks. It was so big, I didn't have time to draw my pistol. My jaw must have dropped a mile as it crawled out onto the trail, turned around and went back into the bush. These rattlers are Great Basin rattlesnakes. Their demeanor is such that they would rather run away from a confrontation if given half a chance. And I can vouch for that. And we usually see an infestation of cannibalistic Mormon crickets that are anywhere from 2-4 inches in length. We try to run over as many as we can. The live ones feast on their dead brethren. What an adventure!

Then in the fall there's the Rocky Mountain ATV Jamboree (sponsored by Kawasaki) in Richfield, UT which has more trails than you can ride in a week. And it has two very "advanced+" trails (their rating); one called Rock Canyon and a new one this year called "The Challenge". We did the Rock Canyon trail last year and my interpretation of "advanced+" is steep, narrow, and a very good chance you'll either tip sideways or backwards. The "advanced" trails are a challenge, the "advanced+" trails instill fear. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] Just my opinion.

I read almost any ATV mag I can get my hands on to learn about GNCC, Worcs, etc. When I look at the photos of GNCC races I think to myself "Where's the rocks?" But I guess you guys back east have tree roots. BTW, I hit one in last weeks race and it was just as hard as a rock. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Mark

Old 06-13-2003, 01:27 AM
Pro Rider

You ever heard the term "I found the only tree in the desert" type deal? Well i've gone threw all of them.. Found the only Heart shaped rock in SandLake that took out our head and shock (right side)... also found the only toyota 4x4 doing 60+ on the beach, right into the side of our sandrail (broke my growth plate in my elbow into about 15-20 peices and got rushed to 3 hospitals and then into surgery, 17 staples, 3 pins, 3 stitches, 4 casts, and a month out of school.) but i was out riding the day i got my last cast off.

Great story that i have but its always fun to hit those new "rocks or tree stumps" in the middle of the way, Never stops some one from riding still unless their women (no offense) =D

Back to it.. i looked at some local track websites and whoa. Can't wait, I found out my brothers friend owns property next to the far back berm on Washougal MX track so they get in free to ALL events, and get discounts on riding or whatever.. so i'll be visiting them very shortly. If you check out Washougal MX Track you can see it's a very nice setup for motocross (not sure if they race quads there.. i hope!)

Then theirs Woodland MX park, i've passed by but never gone in to check it out.. about a 1-2 hour drive from my house, No problem! They do have Ultra Cross here for quads so i know that is good. They dont have any beginner, intermediate, or expert classes. These are the class's that they have.

I believe i'd either go 250cc quad stock or modified (probably modified once i get better.)
          If any one has any opinions i would greatly take them.. Thank you very much.

Old 06-13-2003, 04:24 AM
          Pro Rider

Originally posted by: Sm0k3d
          You ever heard the term "I found the only tree in the desert" type deal? Well i've gone threw all of them..

Great story that i have but its always fun to hit those new "rocks or tree stumps" in the middle of the way, Never stops some one from riding still unless their women (no offense) =D
          SCUSE ME????!!!! The trees haven't stopped me yet! I tried a jump off of a highwall with my dirtbike once and misjudged the landing. I thought that I was too far up to make the landing and thought about bailing but decided that I probably would be ok. I overshot the clearing and by then it was too late to bail - I hit a tree before I landed the bike. The impact was so hard that when I hit the tree it broke my chest protector, ruptured my spleen, separated my shoulder and crushed the nerves in it, cracked my helmet, gave me a concussion and broke my femur - all in one shot. I woke up 3 days later in ICU after flatlining, going through 2 surgeries, getting 22 pints of blood, and being hooked to a respirator because my lungs had collapsed from severe lack of blood.. I had a metal plate and a bunch of bolts put in my leg and several hundred stitches everywhere else... I was in physical therapy for 8 months - most of that was trying to regain the use of my arm because of the nerve damage in my shoulder. It took about 3 months to get my leg healed up and about 2 months for the 12" long stomach incision to heal... I sold my dirtbikes after that in favor of a quad, and started riding again with the use of a shoulder brace not too long after the doctor said I could start driving again. Most everybody thought I was nutz for riding again after all that, but they also thought it was one of the bravest things they had seen too.

A year and a half later, I hit another tree and broke my wrist - snapped both bones (ulna and radius) in my arm right at my wrist..
          I am still riding after that one too..

Just the other weekend at that GNCC I ran I rolled my quad and ended up underneath it with the nerf pinned against my neck. If it wasn't for the track being so muddy and the help of some other racers, my neck could have been broken... If the track had've been dry though I wouldn't have biffed it like I did either....

....am I going to stop riding because of a few injuries and close calls? I think not!

...so you see, your statement about how trees and rocks "never stops someone from riding still unless their women" is not totally true no offense of course....

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img]

Old 06-13-2003, 06:15 AM
          Pro Rider

just remember there are exceptions to every rule.

sm0k3d-
          washougal only allows quads on the track officially 2-3 times a year and occasionally during practice. the races i know that they let quads race there are: (A) January 1st for the hangover hare scrambles put on by jones creek motorcycle club & (B) the WORCS
          race when it visits there(just happened last month). i heard a rumor that they allow quads on one time in the fall too... like oct/nov for a series MX race. maybe they 'll let you on for some of the practices, & if you hear of other times they let quads on the track, let me know!
          go for the woodland series.... run whatever class you think you fit & have fun. woodland also puts on a winter series.
          there is an indoor series at clark county fairgrounds in the winter too.

if you want to venture north there are other MX tracks: Pacific Raceways, Oakwood(indoor), Ward Creek, OPMC, & Hannegan
          out east: horn rapids ORV, spokane extreme MX.
          these are the ones i know have quad classes.... there are a number of flat track places too.

Old 06-13-2003, 09:43 PM
          Trailblazer

Markdf,

Langhorne is about 10-15 minutes outside of Northeast Philly. Also, does anyone here live in PA? If so, is anyone going up to Jack frost Sunday June 15th for the harescramble? Ill be up there its my first time racing. Illbe on a 300ex if anyones up there.

Pineway

Quick Reply: I'm 50 and want to race...