ATV riding on public secondary roads Does your state allow it

Silverton Colorado Street Riding

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2017, 09:44 PM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeep3
I've never been to Maine, but I live in UT, and for ATVing it is a great place to live. My summer vacation for the last decade or so has been a week long ATV trail ride. I typically leave my house on the ATV, loaded with my gear and extra fuel, and ride for 120 miles or so through the mountains on a combination of dirt roads and 50" wide ATV trails, and spend the night at a motel in another town. Then the next day go another 120 to 150 miles to another town. And so on, for a week, taking in much of the state by ATV, before eventually returning home. It sure makes for a relaxing vacation, I get away from everyone and everything, for a week on my ATV.
That sounds great. I wish I could do that. My rides are usually from my friends' property to wherever we can get on about 2/3 of tank of gas, pull into one of 2 towns we can ride into for gas, and head back. Sometimes we don't even go far enough to need more gas. We also do a lot of short rides which usually involve driving to the lake at a campground that's only 4 miles away. We may hang around there awhile or just see if anyone is camping before we continue our ride. We don't do many overnight trips but when we do it's camping out in tents.

Old 08-24-2017, 10:56 PM
Trailblazer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This years ATVing vacation is going to be a little different. I am taking the motorhome this time, and doing day trips with the UTV from the motorhome that will be about 100 miles each day. And I will be exploring the San Rafael Swell, which is an interesting geological feature that goes through the middle of the state. It has a lot of rock formations that will be fun to explore. I've never really explored this area, except for one prior trip in the UTV. Here are a couple of pictures from that trip. It should be a fun week.

Sorry dbj, didn't mean to get off topic.

Old 08-25-2017, 12:52 PM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

That's an area I'm thinking of also next time I get out there. Still researching. We drove through the Swell area and our jaws dropped looking at the washes and stone formations you could see from the highway. May try in early October. Still not sure yet.

Old 08-25-2017, 02:19 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by dbj216
We were in Moab about two years ago to visit the national parks. I was not into the ATV hobby at the time. I was amazed at the ATV activity on the streets. Of course there were lots of jeeps too. That town does a booming business with the ATV tourists. I wonder if it is similar to the national park visitors.

Here is a view of a nice RZR parked on main street. Picking up a pizza to go?
Maybe Utah is the ATV capital of the USA.

David

If I could find a chemist/manager job that pays what I get paid here, I would be living in Utah. Love the mountains, stream fly fishing and all the ATV trails I could wish for.

Old 08-25-2017, 08:24 PM
Back Country Explorer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Beautiful pictures Jeep3, and being a Can Am owner myself made the shots even more interesting.

In Utah, you can explore during the day, and ride the roads back to your motorhome "base camp". A lot nicer than hopefully finding a trail head parking spot and then loading my machine on a trailer.

Maybe our current congress will pass a nation wide ATV street legal law which may help states generate more license revenue to help pay for our health care. Makes sense to me, sorta.

David

Old 08-26-2017, 12:02 AM
Trailblazer

I would vote for that. Don't think I would hold my breath for it, but I would vote for it.