Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

Which 4x4 should I get ?

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2003 | 09:24 PM
|
Range Rover
Default Which 4x4 should I get ?

Ive always rode sport quads, but recently hurt my back and need something that rides more like a cadillac instead of a corvette. Heres what I need 500+CC, 4x4 electric shift, independant front and rear suspension, automatic. Going to mainly use it for trail rides and mudding. Let me know ! If youve had bad experiences with quads that meet the above criteria, let me know those too, so I know what to avoid! Thanks in advance.

Old 08-06-2003 | 01:52 AM
Pro Rider

Check out the Scrambler 500 4x4.

Old 08-06-2003 | 10:22 AM
|
Range Rover

I need something more utility based, im leaning towards either a Grizzly 660 or a Sportsman 600.

Old 08-06-2003 | 10:27 AM
Pro Rider

the scrambler is alright but it don't have independant rear supension. i like it yes but i don't have one mite get one here soon thro. i have a sportsman 500 and its good with everthing you said.

Old 08-06-2003 | 11:49 AM
Pro Rider

Why not check out the 2004 Arctic Cat 500 it has every thing you are looking for.If you are looking for more power the new Arctic Cat 650 will be out in about a month or two.What ever you chose I hope you enjoy it.I also have a back injury and I ride a AC 400i and it rides just as smooth as the rest.Good luck.

Old 08-07-2003 | 01:09 PM
Weekend Warrior

Get the Polaris SP600. It will be the best riding, easiest steering, and go places some of the others only wish they could go.
Most of the others are only 3 wheel drive in the rough stuff. The 2 others that have a locker only give you 3 choices, open diff, limited slip diff, and fully locked. You WILL pay the price in the steering effort.
The Polaris has on demand All wheel drive and it really works. When you don't need it you are in 2 wheel drive with easy steering and when you need it you are only in AWD until the rear wheels regain traction.
Get an 03 or newer, all the issues have been worked out by the factory.

Read all the posts from the different makes on all the forums, especially ATV Nation. Look for serious issues that keep showing up time after time. If you do your homework you will go with Polaris.

Don't let immature and childish brand bashing and "hot air" from certain brand loyalists sway your decision, you will be riding it, not them.
Go ahead and get the best to start with.

You will read posts where someone saw 3 wheel drive swingarms go where the Polaris could not. Most of these people are trying to justify their unreasonable attitude with a fabrication of the truth. Remember a lot of these "posters" are 12 years old sitting at their dad's computer.

Old 08-07-2003 | 07:48 PM
Pro Rider

Like you! j/k j/k ....

I'll admit I'm brand loyal. That's from experience, not because I like one companies colors better than another. But I like products from all brands and try to not be biased at all. A more honest answer is to say that the Grizzly 660 and the Sportsman 600 are both great machines. I'd also consider the new Arctic Cat 650 - supposedly it has a great combination of features that go unmatched, and it also has the Vtwin from Kawi that is said to be a nice powerplant. If you want to know how great the new AC is, just hop on over to their forum. They'll tell you more than enough. Brand-loyaly blindly, but that doesn't matter when you are simply listing features. Your best option? To look at all of these bikes and any others you are considering for yourself. Sit on them. Take them for a test spin and see if you like the ergonomics. Any of the 3 will go about anywhere that man should consider going. What is most important is that you get the one that feels best to you. If they all weren't decent bikes, you'd hear more complaints. Instead, they are all great and you simply hear people saying "my brand's is better than your brand's" ... I think you could be very happy with any of the 3. Good luck.

Old 08-07-2003 | 07:52 PM
Pro Rider

Nice job thomez[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 08-07-2003 | 11:12 PM
Range Rover

Well I'm not brand loyal. But Thomez gave some good advice. I would go with in your case the Grizzly. Simply because it fits what you discribe you want. The 650 Praire I have heard and seen quite a few problems with. Hope the new Cat don't have them. The other one you might consider rides like your Caddy, but I don't think it would be as good in the mud would be the Quest 650. Best thing to do is have an open mind test ride them all; your Butt will tell witch rides best. Polaris also has a poor reliability record, but it does have a very good ride. Hope this helps.

Old 08-08-2003 | 12:00 AM
|
Range Rover

Thanks for all the info guys ! Keep it coming. Its official tho, its between a Grizzly 660 and a Sportsman 600. No others. Simply because I can get good deals on the Polaris, and my girfriend works at a yamaha dealership. Im leaning towards the Griz, but thats only because the sportsman has belt drive and not shaft. Is this something I should even be worried with ? I need some positives and negatives of both. Id also like to hear your good and bad stories.