Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

Extra charges on top of the price of the vehicle

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2004 | 12:04 AM
Pro Rider
Default Extra charges on top of the price of the vehicle

All right we have named two or the RIPOFF SCUMS
PENCO YAMAHA of Kalispel Montana
GREAT LAKES SPORTS of Barton Michigan
HOW ABOUT THE REST!!!!!!!!!!
Let the scum be known as scum and let the list begain

P.S. Kmsweb Thanks for letting the truth out and naming the scum

Old 01-06-2004 | 12:30 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Now people will be calling and harassing the dealership.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] Please people, don't call the dealership. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Just kidding around so don't really call them.

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 01-06-2004 | 11:10 PM
Pro Rider

What are you talking about ?? Call them question them let them they are scum what ever you do dont let them screw your friends. What are you afraid of you have the truth on your side. Get the word out . You might be th problem!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img]

Old 01-07-2004 | 05:17 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Originally posted by: ChaosInMt
What are you talking about ?? Call them question them let them they are scum what ever you do dont let them screw your friends. What are you afraid of you have the truth on your side. Get the word out . You might be th problem!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img]

Who are you writing to? Are you referring to my last reply? If so, I was insinuating that people should call without coming out and saying so. "No don't call. WINK, WINK as in DO" I was kidding around. I actually had a certain situation in mind, someone against atving was using a members photos for his own use against atving on another forum. The member went back and forth with the person which resulted in people calling the anti-atving person at different times of the day. I believe some threats were made. (His name was released)

Actually, I don't think anyone should call at all until kmsweb has had a chance to resolve the situation through Honda. It is alright to name the facility to warn others about their practices as long as people don't get carried away.

Old 01-08-2004 | 12:48 AM
Pro Rider

COYO Sorry I got carried away. But this is a very important subject to me. ( Ripping me and my friends and like minded people off ) They are commom thieves and should get no more respect than your common street thug. I say call them all and ask why the rest of the honest shops dont have the same bogas charges. I say let everyone know who they are. Let them know that we know who thay are.

Old 01-08-2004 | 01:28 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Isn't it amazing that they'll throw someone in jail for stealing a candy bar. But they allow honest people to be robbed everyday by big business. It's not right to steal anything but these businesses get away with it everyday. I want to supply insurance companies with a product that they can't do without. So I can screw them on a price for a change.

Old 01-08-2004 | 09:21 PM
Weekend Warrior

I run the Finance office at our dealership....read on and learn (hopefully). I found all the posts quite interesting! You most definitely should not have bought your machine. I don't really agree about making the manufacturer more resonsible for the dealer screwing you (and you did get screwed) because they already have their hands in too much of our business. You have to assume some personal responsibility for allowing this to happen.

Your vehicle would normally have the items I have listed below on your contract.
(Its against the law (federal law) to pack payments on financing so they would have to explain each item seperately. It is most likely also illegal to sell you stuff without explaining it and not fair to the customer. You should have walked away.....)

Vehicle price....the price you negotiate with your sales person.
Freight....the price we get charged to get the machine to our dealership. Negotiable if he needs to dump it at a loss. We really do pay this charge dispite what you might have heard.
Setup/prep/assembly or whatever you want to call it......this should be one charge, not 2-3 like you paid. It is based on the time and materials it takes us to get your vehicle assembled and prepped for sale. Some machines come virtually ready to go, while others take hours (yes hours) to assemble and adjust. This should include all gas, oil and coolant to have it set. We do not go by what the manufacturer pays us. They dont pay you enough unless your stupid teenager cousin will do it after school. Our factory trained techs do them so you are happy you bought from us.
Process fee/Document fee/Filing fee....in Wisconsin it is legal to charge a reasonable fee to cover the post-sale costs such as registration, postage, envelopes, computer fees that we must pay to process your sale. Its up to you to try negotiating this away, we do not haggle on this at our shop but are very fair with the charge. It shouldn't really be more than $50 on any new unit. some dealers include it into the price of your new unit. I prefer to be up front about what you are paying us.
Warranty....no way no how is it ever REQUIRED to buy it. You were lied to....big time. Next time don't be so dumb (sorry) and wait a day to ask around if you think its fishy. Its illegal (a big time offense) to demand warranty to get a rate at the bank. This is so far out in left field you should have seen it coming. Your dealer should be shot for that one and you beaten for allowing him!!! (again, sorry)
Cancel the warranty and get refinancing at your own bank. If you cancel soon enough they cannot charge you a cancel fee for doing it. Tell the dealer to get fu@%##$% and tell Honda how mad you are.
Prepaid maintenance......most ATV dealers dont offer it but car dealers will. We do, its my own plan to sell service up front at a huge discount. You save money, you save inflation, you can finance it.....I get 3 years of your visits to my store (sell you more stuff...lol) and I increase the quality of the trade ins we get. Plus it keeps the service dept busy when it would normally be slow (Holidays) so we both win.
Tax....gotta pay that unless you farm. Wisconsin charges 5%, and a few counties have tax.
license....again, we have $12 license for 2 yr registration sticker. a UCC form costs $10-20 if you finance it, motorcycles, snowmobiles, and boats/PWC have different costs.

ok...bottom line....thats all you should have seen. If you have questions or disagree...please send me a reply. I am embarassed as a dealer that this occurred but there are crooks in every business.
Good luck and have fun riding!

Paul

Old 01-09-2004 | 01:53 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

You most definitely should not have bought your machine. I don't really agree about making the manufacturer more resonsible for the dealer screwing you (and you did get screwed) because they already have their hands in too much of our business. You have to assume some personal responsibility for allowing this to happen.
Mauserp,

I agree that making the Manufacturer responsible is hard to do. I believe making them aware of situations like this is very important. If everybody made them aware when this happens, they could then hold the dealers a little more responsible.

Your description is very accurate, and others should read it and learn from it.

I to agree that if anybody allows this to happen to them, they themselves should take some responsibility. People need to do their research before buying anything (ATV's, Cars, etc.). You should know everything form the "buying Process", financing options, and how to negotiate and what can be negotiated. Because there are dealers out there that will do this. They know that not very many people educate themselves before buying. WE have to hold them accountable. I can personally say I am responsible for the firing of two saleman and most recently a Finance Manager (for Fraud). Come to find out the Finance guy had been doing this but nobody else really pushed the issue. All at reputable car dealers of course (Ford and Chevrolet). Not proud of it, but they shouldn't be able to sell to anybody.

final Thought: Educate yourself before buying, and/or help educate friends that may be buying.

Old 01-11-2004 | 04:15 PM
Pro Rider

I due agree that trying to make the manufacture more responsibile is worth trying. I also live in the real world and bleve in calling a thieve a thieve. It is me and you that can make the real diffrence. When we finde out about a thieving dealership it is up to us to get the word out and supply the options. When we finde out that someone new or uninformed is about to but It is up to us to warn and inform them. We need to supply them honest dealer options. We DO NOT Need To Sacraface The Uninformed And Let The Thieves Win Waiting Untill The Manuafactures Wise Up.

Old 01-11-2004 | 09:32 PM
Pro Rider

If i were you i'd wait outside the dealership and when the salesman left to go home find out where he lives and jump him when he gets home. Beat the living hell out of him and slash is tires, break his windshield. reguardless of how much money he may have made off of screwing you none of it is going in his pocket cause he's gonna be buying new tires and windows [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: Extra charges on top of the price of the vehicle