Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

Extended Warranty's

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2004, 12:00 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Extended Warranty's

I will be picking up a 2004 Kawasaki Prairie next week. The six month warranty seems ridiculous and I generally find most extended warranty's with other products to be scams. When I asked the prospective dealer about the warranty he made no mention of the extended warranty option. I didn't realize it was available untill I saw it on Kawasaki's website. I have tried to do a LOT of reading on ATV forums to help in my decision on which ATV to buy. Riding the Prairie made it a easy choice. But in reading I also find horror stories on all makes and models. I fear getting a lemon and I'm considering the extended warranty but want more information. The Kawasaki site doesn't give a cost, it only says "pennies" a day. I would greatly appreciated any input on my questions. I'm also curious as to why the dealer didn't make mention of the extended warranty option, I asked a lot of questions about warrantys on the quads I was looking at. Thankyou. Rob

Old 01-05-2004, 12:13 AM
Pro Rider

Dealerships usually have there own extended warranty which usually includes service and is much more expensive. They usually dont mention it to you until your almost done with the finance guy. They all will sell you the extended warranty from the factory if you ask for it. Sometimes you can find a third party company that will sell it to you for cheaper.

Old 01-05-2004, 04:18 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

The "paperwork person" or "salesperson" will probably ask you if you want it while you're doing the paperwork. The manufacturer will probably send you something in the mail at a later date after the sale.
Honda offers an 18 month, 30 month and 42 month. Around $450.00, $520.00 and $630.00 totals, just to give you an idea. (Not exact amounts)

It's alot of money if nothing goes wrong. Manufacturers should offer insurance for the 5th through 9th year of ownership instead of the first 4 years when a quad is new. It may be worth it with the labor fees at $50.00 per hour. Make sure you understand exactly what a warranty covers before you purchase one.

Old 01-05-2004, 09:30 AM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for the replys. I'll be taking with him today. It's a rather small dealership and the owner/sales/finance guy was all the same person. I'm thinking the dealer may play a large role in just how well the warranty is honored and I'll be asking him a lot of questions.

Old 01-05-2004, 09:14 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Go get a new Arctic Cat, Two year warrenty instead of six months.

Old 01-05-2004, 10:17 PM
TRV
Trailblazer

I would agree with the 650 Arctic Cat suggestion. It is a Kawasaki Prairie drivetrain wrapped in an package that includes IRS , 2 inch receiver, 26 inch tires stock, MRP racks,front locker(like the Prairie),10 inches of travel all around on 5 way adjustable shocks. My dealer was offering a $69 Warn winch and a free 2 year warranty on new purchases last summer. If they have to pick up the ATV it costs me $50 bucks under the extended warranty but if I bring it in to them they fix it for free( minus wear items). I would check with a dealer and see if they are still offering it. I'll bet a lot of Prairie owners are drooling over the new A/C 650 about now!