Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

Sportsman 600 or Grizzly 660 ?

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2004, 05:35 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sportsman 600 or Grizzly 660 ?

Can´t decide between these two. I have a 03 Pred for mx but now I need a machine for mudding, trailriding in difficult conditions, riding in deep snow. I´ll also be plowing my companys driveway. But mostly the machine will be ridden on forest trails that are sometimes very rocky and sometimes very muddy. The prices are almost the same here in Finland (Europe) Yamaha being abt USD 500 more expensive.

Thanks for help!

*timo*

Old 01-14-2004, 08:52 PM
2TV
Pro Rider

That’s a tough one, they are both very capable for what you want them for. I’d venture to say the 600 would offer a smoother ride and less vibration. The 600 may cost you more in maintenance (it’s a twin versus the Grizzly’s single cylinder). It may come down to which one feels the best to you and what features you prefer. The Polaris has linked brakes (one lever applies both front & rear) and the Grizzly has independent front and rear brakes. The Polaris has on demand all wheel drive while the Grizzly has on demand 4 wheel limited slip (essentially 3 wheel drive) and on demand 4 wheel drive (front diff lock), the latter of which you have to be stopped in order to engage. They are similar in suspension travel and ground clearance. They are similar in performance with the Grizzly having the edge (the Grizzly is over 100 pounds lighter). The Sportsman (last I knew) comes with better stock tires than does the Grizzly. I’d suggest taking each one for a test drive and see what feels better to you...

Old 01-14-2004, 10:18 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if you would like speed with the machine try the prairie
not saying the other ones don't have speed cuz i don't know if they do

Old 01-14-2004, 11:43 PM
Pro Rider

the polaris is the way to go. Never a lack of power, never a problem.

Old 01-15-2004, 12:12 PM
Pro Rider

First of all kudos to 2TV for giving an unbiased opinion, even though he owns a Grizz.
That said, I have heard (but not seen) That Reverse is geared a bit to high in the grizz, Im not sure if this true or not. I had a 2001 Kodiak a while back, and although I never had nay problem going in reverse, there were times when I was backed up against a rock ledge or in a bind where I REALLY had to throttle it to get it to move. Im not sure HOW you guys turn 27s and 28s on these things in reverse.
Now I know the Grizz puts out a bit more power, but Im curious as to whether it suffers this same problem?
Really I dont feel either Bike has glaring faults or glaring bonuses.. I feel , as said already, A ride on each should tell you which you prefer.

Old 01-15-2004, 05:16 PM
2TV
Pro Rider

I've never felt underpowered or felt that I was geared too high when using reverse, however traction can be a problem even if you are trying to back up the slightest of hills. All you do is punch the 4WD button to solve that problem. Then there's the issue of the RPM limiter when in reverse. It's very easy to bump into the limiter especially if you are reversing out of the mud. There have been times when it was an inconvenience so one of these days I’m going to install a reverse override button (the instructions for which I’ve seen documented on the forums before)…

Old 01-15-2004, 06:07 PM
Pro Rider

Between the two id go with the grizz.jm.02

Old 01-15-2004, 08:58 PM
Pro Rider

get the grizzly, but if it was between the polaris 700, get the polaris but in this case get the grizzly, my dad had a grizzly, never got it stuck but sold it for a sportsman 700, which never go stuck also..I'd say get the grizzly 660

Old 01-15-2004, 09:30 PM
Pro Rider

me being a polaris man and all.. most people would expect me to say Sportsman 600, But in this thread i would go with the Grizzly 660, I have seen this machine in action and it is a complete beast, nothing stops it, it also has a better top speed than most other utility quads out there now

Old 01-15-2004, 10:10 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: kawasaskirules
if you would like speed with the machine try the prairie
not saying the other ones don't have speed cuz i don't know if they do
For the terrain that he mentioned he'd be riding in, he doesnt need speed!!!!! I figured someone would say something about the prairie!!!! He didnt ask about the prairie and theres a reason, the terrain in which he will be riding!!! From what he said, the Grizz and Sportsman will both be Superior to the Prairie!! No offense to the prairie owners cuz I am done with bashing the Prairie, cuz a Prairie owner(shotgun) said some very nice things about the IRS machines, so no longer look at my post's as bashing the prairie!!! But for the terrain he mentioned the IRS machines would be a better choice, not saying the Prairie can't go where he is mentioning because I dont exactly know what that terrain is like, but from what he DID say both of the IRS machines he mentioned would tend to have an advantage there!!!!!!

Quick Reply: Sportsman 600 or Grizzly 660 ?