Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

How do you haul two ATVs in one truck?

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2004, 09:50 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How do you haul two ATVs in one truck?

haha right on "little guy" we got ours from this place in town called T.A.P.S. truck accesories, but i found this site, http://www.truckspecialties.com/bedslide.htm, that has them so hope you like it...ours only holds 1000 pounds unlike that one so maybe the extra 200 pounds will accomodate the little 80 cc bike eh? haha later
johnny

Old 02-06-2004, 09:54 PM
Trailblazer

oh yeah if you do get that one tell me how it is cuz i might be getting one just like that when i get my license...in 3 long and painful months...the ones on that site are like 400 bucks cheaper than in town so get back to me on that thanks
johnny

Old 02-08-2004, 02:27 AM
Quad Patrol

I have one of the bed slides in the rear of my truck, they work great and it's rated to 1200 lbs. Don't think I would trust it to be extended out to haul four quads down the road. Even if the last quad on it is 200 lbs. There are only two 1/4 inch dowels that hold the rack in place when it is extended. Also, remember when you extend it out, it's not 200 lbs on the slide anymore, the weight is increased due to laws of physics. That's alot of weight that will be bouncing down the road. JMO[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 02-08-2004, 09:02 AM
Pro Rider

ok put one on its grab bar at the front of the truck with the wheels over your cab like its doing a wheelie and u can just load the second one in i do this with my ds and a kodiak 400 but my truck is a long bed but i still have allot of room

Old 02-08-2004, 11:30 AM
Trailblazer

Harbor freight tools sells a 4' X 8' utillity trailer kit with 12" tires that is DOT approved for $269. I bought one. It only took a few hours to assemble. It pulls really good with a 500lb quad on it.

Old 02-08-2004, 11:50 AM
Pro Rider
Sound advice there. "Hey, watch this........"
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd just go ahead and get a small trailer - either for one quad with the other in the truck or a 12 footer for two ATV's. Go to Wally-World or buy used and you'll spend less than $500. You can get most of that back when you sell it after getting the toy hauler in a couple of years.

It's one thing to play around in your driveway and figure out ways to stack multiple quads in the back of your truck but it becomes a real hassle when you are cold, wet and muddy from a long days ride and you need to try to load in the truck. JMO, but I find that a trailer is no hassle at all, it takes us under five minutes to load or unload five or six ATV's and there is never any damage to bikes or truck.

Jaybee

Old 02-08-2004, 04:22 PM
Trailblazer

with our bed extender, we dont put it all the way out, maybe just 3 ft past the tailgate because thats all we need when tilt the quads parallel next to each other. we can ussually get the little "crf"(the cool name for the xr)50 in there as well so its not putting a lot of weight onto the extender, but if you dont have to haul a toy hauler behind you like we do, go with a little trailer, you can even get an enclosed one for about 3 grand and when you sell it you wont be losing much, same with a flatbed trailer

Old 02-08-2004, 10:01 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just checked out Harbor Freight. They have a 4x8 foldable utility trailor for about $250, but it only has 12" tires...I don't think they would last too long on the open road at 75 mph, let alone some of the gravel roads that I have to go on to get to the riding areas. Also, while it comes with all of the DOT lighting, it ISN'T pre-wired. So, you have to either wire it up at the store, or have it loaded in the bed of your truck just to get it home. Gimmy a break, they could have wired this thing up for an extra $15 so you could at least tow it home! A $250 trailor gets really expensive if you get a ticket on the way home for no turn signals!

Old 02-19-2004, 02:06 AM
Pro Rider
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]i did this befor i had my 16' trailer and i've seen them in a trailer site . what i did was attach 8' 2x4 across the bed of the pickup and 2 half inch 4'x8' sheets of plywood laid across the back of the bed attach and screwed them all together and it held my warrior and my sons trail blazer PLUS you had all the room under it in the bed to put your gear . when i was done ,15min and the truck was back to normal. thaey make these im not sure of the manufacture , its just a little unnerving riding the wheeler up top .

Old 02-20-2004, 02:04 AM
Pro Rider

as far as wiring a trailer goes, it's fairly simple. my friends and i (we are all 16 yrs old) took an old crappy trailer, fixed, painted, and wired it in a couple of days. now it hauls around my friend's dad's buggy. if you want bigger tires, we picked up a copule of fenders for like 11 bucks a peice, and they tires were fairly cheap too. wiring the things was super simple. the hardest part was making something to mount the brake lights, and turn signals too. another option that my friend's dad did: he has a fully enclosed trailer with 3 quads, including a DS with all the extras that must way a good 500 pounds. he was comin out to pismo for the first time, and was worried that his tires might sink into the sand too much with all the weight. so he took the old rear tires and wheels off of his chevy S-10, and put them on the trailer, those tires are wide enough that he doesn't even need to air them down even in the worst conditions. he was lucky enough that he had just bught new rims and tires for the S-10 tho. these are jus a couple of ideas that i know work. if you have to you could have ur trailer wired for u for like 50 bucks i'd imagine. good luck.

p.s.
that second idea was assuming that you had a trailer and simply wanted taller, wider tires on it.

Quick Reply: How do you haul two ATVs in one truck?