Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

want to buy a atv for my son

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2004, 07:52 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default want to buy a atv for my son

I am looking to be an atv for my son he in 9 years old. He weights about 90lbs.and is around 4ft 5inchs. He has never rode atv before Which one would you suggest and 50cc or an 80cc.

Old 02-11-2004, 08:11 PM
Range Rover

This is a tough question. I started looking for an ATV for my 10 year old daughter (81 lbs). The longer I looked, the more it became obvious that the supposed 'rules' were made by ATV company lawyers. Theoretically, my daughter should be on a 50CC machine until she's 12. This is patently ridiculous since her knees hit the handlebars on every 50 she's ever sat on. Even the 90's aren't much larger physically than the 50's. I ended up getting her a used Yamaha Beartracker 250, and she's great on it. I know this is technically against the ATV rules set forth by the CPSC, but common sense must prevail. I'm sure the ATV companies would like the consumer to buy 2 throwaway ATV's between 10 and 16 years old, but I didn;t see it that way. In reality, by the time a kid's 12, there's no way they'd be riding an 80 CC machine anyway. THey'd get bored and not ride ANY ATV before a 15 yearold would still be riding an 80. As usual , the politically correct lawyers have erred on the side of the most irresponsible in our society.

You have to make this decision on your own, and balance personal responsibility against CPSC and ATV lawyers' rules. Most people I know have made the decision on personal responsibility. You may be different.

REV

Old 02-12-2004, 02:40 AM
Weekend Warrior

You have to make this decision on your own, and balance personal responsibility against CPSC and ATV lawyers' rules. Most people I know have made the decision on personal responsibility. You may be different.

REV[/quote]

I ditto this. My daughter rode a 90 Polaris at age 10 with her knees close to the handle bars. In a fast year we upgraded her to my Honda 250EX. she had no problem learning to ride this from the get go. My six year old son has been on the 90 for two years now. I personally think almost any 250 atv would be a good starter quad for a kid but you're the one who knows him (your son) the best. Also, quads have those throttle limiters on them.

You should visit some dealerships looking and have him sit on a few to get a feel what would best fit. Except he can not be with you when you buy it for him because of the stupid law regarding that child age restriction on sized quads. He can be with you when you "buy" it for yourself. Good luck on your decision!

Old 02-12-2004, 08:00 AM
Quad Patrol
Don't let the hp numbers fool you. Its all in how you get it to the ground. Clutching clutching clutching!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

He is a good sized boy and would bore with any 50cc machine and out Grow a 80-90cc in a short time.If I were you I would look at a Yamaha 125 Breeze.Great bike small but not too small big enough forr grown ups but small enough for kids.It is automatic w/reverse and head lights.It is a bit pricy but well worth it.My son rode one from 9-12 yrs old and went to a 250 Trailblazer.

Old 02-12-2004, 02:07 PM
Pro Rider

I know it sounds like alot, but a blaster (200cc) might be the thing. It ca be governed so that it dosnt open all the way up. Also when he starts to get older there is a million things to do to it so it can grow with him. It can be moded like crazy and can become a fun bike for him even when he is a teenager.

Old 02-12-2004, 05:40 PM
Elite Pro Rider

My 7 year old sister has been able to ride our rancher 350es for about a year. She has her own raptor 80, but seldom rides it. If you really want a quad that will be the right size, but you are worried about the power available in a 250 machine, I would suggest a yamaha breeze or grizzly 125. They have fully automatic transmissions and are a good size for young riders. I would personally recommend a honda or suzuki 250 and then simply govern the throttle until the child gets used to it and gets better at controling it.

Old 02-14-2004, 12:32 AM
Pro Rider

i started on the bayou 220 when i was 9 and im 12 now and it still my bike and it fits me fine!

Trending Topics

Old 02-14-2004, 03:16 AM
Pro Rider
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i bought my 12 tear old daughter a e-ton 150 it was large enough for her to learn how to ride and the controls were easy enough to get the riding experience she needed , i just recently moved her up to a z250 she's now 16 and she had fun on it for 4 years .didn't out grow it

Old 02-14-2004, 06:46 PM
Pro Rider

id go with a z250 or 250ex it will allow her to get the basics down and she wont outgrow it fast

Old 02-14-2004, 07:26 PM
Quad Patrol
Don't let the hp numbers fool you. Its all in how you get it to the ground. Clutching clutching clutching!

Dont over size a quad for a youngen just starting out.Find one that fits them now.they will out grow it but need to learn on one they can handle and are not intimidated by.Lots of parents dont realize the size factor to a kid.If it looks big it may scare them from learning to ride one right.