Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

I would greatly appreciate some purchasing advice

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2004, 12:55 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I would greatly appreciate some purchasing advice

Hello,

I have decided to purchase a quad for myself and would greatly appreciate some advice.

I will be riding with my 9 year old son who got a Honda 90 for Christmas. I have been borrowing a quad from my cousin while my son learns to ride (He hates that he can’t ride alone). I used to own a Quadsport 230 (1986) and enjoyed it for a couple of years before selling it. We have direct access to trails that we can ride on all day (miles of power lines). We may take some day trips to ride trails or dunes. I am 5’ 11’ 175 pounds. I have been leaning towards a Sport type however the racks and other features of the Utility type are appealing.

Sport or Utility?

How much engine would you suggest (i.e. 250, 300, or 400+)?

Brand?

Thanks in advance for any input.

Old 02-15-2004, 01:13 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Welcome to the forums[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Why not have a blend of both?

You sound like you need a scrambler, You can get racks for it, Its very sporty 500cc auto, 4x4.. The 4wd can be turned off at a flick of a switch or on at a flick of a switch at any speed and its true 4wd... Its pretty fast 60-65 stock mods really wake that thing up... Over all its a go anywhere do anything type quad..

I am very happy with mine NEVER had one problem with it...

Have anymore questions just ask...

Old 02-15-2004, 01:40 AM
Pro Rider

yeah thats true, I love my scrambler. It goes go pretty fast and takes you about anywhere as well.Depending if more speed really matters or not, you could get something like a Kawasaki V-Force 700, 660 Raptor, Kawasaki/Suzuki 400, 400ex, I guess those do pretty good on the trails/dunes.

Old 02-15-2004, 02:06 AM
Pro Rider

No!! Pick mine!

This question starts so many arguments about the best quad. Go to the search box at the top of this forum and type in somethig like "what to buy" or anything along those lines and you will see tons of threads on this topic.

I love my Eiger and think its the best for the money. But you really need to ride them and see what fits you. Hit all the dealers and check EVERY one out. Then you can decide.

Get as much motor as you can afford. Chances are you will be wanting to mod it up anyway, someday.
Keep in mind you will want one with some local dealer support. Don't buy a machine that needs tio be taken 4 hours away for service or parts.

Welcome to the forums.

Old 02-22-2004, 06:53 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

It's funny how many people suggest buying what they have. Some are probably legit, but still funny. I know, have seen, and have heard lots about different quads. You have to take what people want and match it to their wants/needs. As much as I like my Rinny, I've recommended to others the Eiger, Vinson, Rubicon, Scrambler, or even sporties. It's hard buying these things when you haven't ridden and have no experience with any of them. You can't just go out and test ride them like you can car. And that sucks.Even with all the reading and research I did, I wouldn't buy the same two I have right now. Even though I love them both.

Good luck

Old 02-22-2004, 07:20 PM
Pro Rider

I fully agree Sean,

Don't forget to test out the 700 Prairie too. Since you had a Suzuki Look at the 500 Vinnie as well. very nice bike.

Old 02-22-2004, 10:48 PM
Pro Rider

KFX 700

Old 02-23-2004, 11:49 PM
Pro Rider

wolverine

Old 02-26-2004, 11:21 AM
Trailblazer

If your going to be riding with your son. he has a 90, I would buy something that he can grow into and something that you can grow out of. So that as he gets older then you can turn your machine over to him and get yourself a new machine. I like Polaris. I have 330 trailboss that may fit your need, but I would not rule out the 250 class bikes. the Honda 250 sporttrax or recon, the Yammy Bigbear, Suzuks Ozark could all be great machines for him in a couple years, and be a great atv for following your son on his 90, and they will all keep up with your son on his 90. Buy the bid bore atv later after he is ready to jump up to the midclass size atv. Then you will be ready for a bigger faster etc atv. I started my boys riding dirt bikes on the trail at 3 years old. I had nice motocross bike at the time. Sucked for following a 3 year old on a 50 cc bike. The Old big red 3 wheeler was perfect though. As the kids got older and moved up. So did I.

Just something to think about. I have been through what your doing and your in luck. It will just get funner and funner and funner. There is nothing like spending 2 to 4 days riding with your kids on the trails.

Old 02-26-2004, 11:26 AM
Trailblazer

Oooo one more thing. Buy something with a rack on it. If you go riding with kids it is vital that you carry some sacks, and fluids for them to drink along the trail. Make for a much more enjoyable time, when they can get a drink and snack on some jerkey. Carry extra stuff to keep them cool or warm..or toilet paper...first aid kit...etc....There is nothing worst than a thirst kid or hungry kid and 2 or 3 hours worth of riding to get back to the truck or house.

Quick Reply: I would greatly appreciate some purchasing advice