Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

Most Pulling/Hauling Power

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2004, 06:18 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Most Pulling/Hauling Power

First-time buyer needs advice.

Me and hunting buddies bought some property in Northern Michigan. I am going to buy a "big bore" ATV. Will be used for general goofing around and trail riding, but we also plan to put in some food plots for deer/turkey (3-4 acres) and need the ATV to function as the tractor (pull a disc, haul fertilizer, etc). No need for speed. Seems like I need the most heavy duty suspension, lowest gearing, highest torque I can find. Any suggestions. Closest dealer sells AC, Polaris and Bombardier. Price not really a factor.

Old 03-09-2004, 09:49 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Go with the Arctic Cat. Best use of getting horse power to the ground, Best ground clearance (12-13 Inches), 10Inches travel, Great ride, Good reliable ATV. Of course this only counts if your dealer is good.

Old 03-09-2004, 11:45 PM
'5 minutes worth of planning equals 30 minutes of execution'

I would look at the Artic Cat or the Polaris 700 EFI. The EFI is very nice for COLD weather starting.

Old 03-10-2004, 06:52 PM
Pro Rider

Arctic cat is probably one of the best utlility machines. I would buy a arctic cat.

Old 03-11-2004, 03:01 PM
Pro Rider

i would take a good long hard look at the 700 twin. it has to be the most powerfull for towing

Old 03-11-2004, 03:19 PM
Pro Rider

Firsttime, may I make a suggestion? Go with a manual over a auto for the work you want to do, this will give you absolut low gear and the most torque and you can keep it in this power band with out haveing to worry about belt slipping or shredding. I would look at the Artic Cat 400 or bigger for this.

Now where in Northern Michigan did you buy some land? I grew up in Boyne Falls, 90+ miles south of Mackinaw. I had heard that you can not use bait anymore for deer. True? If so how does the feedplots fall into the baiting issue or does it? AlaskaBoy.

Old 03-11-2004, 03:43 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for the suggestions. Two options I'm seriously looking at:
'03 (new) Bomb 500 Quest camo w/3 yr warranty (I like the warranty) $5500 OTD
'03 (used 60 miles) Polaris 700sp mossy oak camo w/brush guard $5850

Alaska Boy,
The place we bought is 100 acres w/mobile located about 10 miles southwest of Houghton Lake. Yes, "supplemental feeding" is now illegal (DNR says it keeps the herd above natural carrying capacity). Strange exception for "recreational feeding" which is allowed if for purpose of watching deer and bait is within 100 yards of house. Wierd. I don't bait when I hunt so I'm fine with it. Growing crops or food plots are not considered bait.

Trending Topics

Old 03-11-2004, 03:54 PM
Pro Rider

Firsttime, Houghton Lake is not that far from where I grew up. Some of my friends were suprised when I showed them a picture of the parking lot for snowmachines on Houghton Lake. How is the riding this year(snowmachine)?

I saw some tv shows on the outdoor channel that was showing how to set up a foodplot and was just wondering on the legalities were. I miss the deer hunting back there, I would spend weeks even months before bow season scouting out trails and likely holding areas for them. I rifle hunted too, but I realy enjoyed the bow hunting for its peace and quiet(no gunshots in the distance and no bullets flying by my head), we have deer up here but you have to take a boat out to the islands to hunt them and then they are only 80 pounds or so some bigger but harder to find on 3-5 day hunts, but you can shoot 5 or 6 of them. AlaskaBoy.

Old 03-11-2004, 05:34 PM
Weekend Warrior

I'm sure you make up for the lack of deer with all the other critters you have to hunt up there. Alaska is #1 on my "Places I Want to Visit Someday" list. Unfortunately when I make it there it will more likely be on a cruise ship with the wife than a hunting or fishing trip with the fellas.

I'm not a big snowmobiler but from what I understand it was the best snow they've had in years, although it didn't last long. Nothing until late December, but then we got a ton in Jan-Feb. It all melted about a two weeks ago. We actually got a '94 Ski-Doo thrown in with the property deal, but the engine was abused and we've spent more time fixing than riding it.

I used to bowhunt like crazy but three young kids have put the brakes on that, so I gun hunt more now. My oldest (8) is starting to shoot a bow and I'm hoping he gets into it.

Old 03-12-2004, 10:37 AM
Pro Rider

make sure you test them both b4 you buy them.

if i was you id go for the sportsman. jmo

Quick Reply: Most Pulling/Hauling Power