Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

Atv vs. dirt bike for fun

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2000, 12:27 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would just like to take a informal pole...

For those that were considering buying a dirt bike before they went with an atv, what made you go with the atv?

Bill

Old 07-19-2000, 11:35 AM
Trailblazer

ATVs are easier to ride.

I ride with mixed groups. the dirt bike might be more fun, but there are problems: I'm not advanced enough of a bike rider to try one on trails yet. I have no problem putting my mother on an ATV and hitting the trail right off. She has never been on an ATV.

Someday I want to try a dirt bike on the trail, but having riden one on gravel roads, I know I'm not yet ready.

Accually my main ride is a ATC - 3 wheeler. Someday I want to have several quads around though, and maybe a dirt bike. When family comes over I don't worry about putting them on a quad. I might let expirenced quad riders on the ATC, but they will need to pratice turning and handling first. Only those who have ridden a lot (and preferably have motercycle expirence) will touch the dirt bike. With those rules we can have fun togather.

The fun factor however is often reversed. My ATC won't go through quite as much mud as a 4x4 quad, but I'm willing to attempt more because if I do get stuck I can get out without a shovel. (I've riden through pits that big quads just get buried to the handle bars in)

There is also the secondary use factor. Those of you who are married to a non-rider should consider these. In that case a quad can plow snow and mow the lawn, while a dirt bike can be street legal as transportation to work. (If you can afford both, a quad with an automatic will allow your S.O. to ride with you, and when going alone you can choose quad or bike depending on the trail.)

Old 07-19-2000, 12:51 PM
Range Rover

I think it really depends on preference. I am the only quad rider in a group of dirt bikers. They dont find the quad fun and I dont really find the dirt bikes fun. Things to note:

-Dirt bikes are crashed or dropped a lot. Not a day of riding goes by where I dont see people picking up their bikes and dusting them selves off. Quads are usually only crahsed if you do something stupid. I have crashed both. Quads are very stable. For this it is just a matter of how you want to treat your body. I dont really enjoy the pain too much.

-Weather - Dirt bikers love the dry weather. Quads are all weather. I am a mud lover so if it has just rained dont try to hold me back. Since I ride with dirt bikers they dont ride when it rains. Now depending on the terrain (such as sand) they can. If it is a place with all normal dirt that turns to mud, their one wheel drive vehicle is useless. To me this is sad and funny.

Again it is all personal preference. Both are fun, be careful, and wear a helmet.

Old 07-19-2000, 03:04 PM
Pro Rider

The problem with the ATV is this:
too many idiots try to ride MINE. If I got a dirtbike they'd be scared of falling off but since its 4 wheels they think they can. I still will never let anyone but my friends and regular ATVERS and my farmer and myself ride them BECAUSE EVERYONE IS STUPID BUT ME.

Old 07-19-2000, 03:52 PM
Pro Rider

If you hit a jump and land it wrong on a quad you're ~@%#ed, on a dirtbike there is more room for error.

Old 07-19-2000, 10:32 PM
Range Rover

I have both. I ride the bike (CR 250) when I want to go fast. It's a ton faster than a quad, especially in the bumps. I ride the quad when I want to play at slower speeds. Both are fun.