Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

Some Buying Advice Please

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2004 | 06:19 PM
|
Weekend Warrior
Default Some Buying Advice Please

Take a look at my icon, that's what I feel like when I read all this information on dirt bikes and atvs.

I'm 21 years old and just moved out to Lake Tahoe, Nevada. It's beautiful out here, TONS of mountain trails to ride on. I was deciding whether to buy an atv or dirt bike, and decided on an atv. I've ridden them before for fun, and well, they are just too much fun. Plus I want to be able to take another person with me out on a trail one day for fun, maybe eat lunch or go camping somewhere remote, or let them drive for awhile. Ya know.

Anyway, that's the use that I'm looking to get out of it. Riding trails for fun, probably with a friend occassionally. I weigh 150 lbs, 5'10''. It doesn't necessarily have to be brand new, actually I probably won't get a brand new one, because I only want to spend $2000 max. Summer's just starting and I'd love to get one within the next month. I'd also like an automatic clutch, just because if I have my girlfriend or friend driving or something they don't have problems. Any suggestions on what I should be looking for?

Also, explanations on what differentiates ATVs would be greatly appreciated. For example, the different types of ATVs (sport quad, a 4x4, or just something to play around on), what is a sport quad or a 4x4, are there any other types? The types of engines (250cc, 300cc, 400cc, etc.), what size engine goes with what size person, or do you buy an engine based on your planned usage? 2 stroke or 4 stroke engine, major differences? What are the major brands, I know of Yamaha, Suzuki, and Honda, is one better than the other, reliability, cost, or different brands suit different needs?

I'm going to look at waverunners too and see if I want to get one of those instead of an atv, but my assumption is that those are going to cost more, and get less use. Thanks for any help at all!

Old 04-28-2004 | 06:50 PM
Range Rover

Sounds like you'd like to stick with an automatic two wheel drive sport or sport utility. Since you're new to the sport, don't really want to spend a lot of money, and aren't really into performance, I would say you can look in the 300cc and under bracket. Sport Utility quads with racks might be your best bet since you're looking into possibly bringing some stuff along for camping, etc.
I had wonderful luck with Yamaha Bear Trackers a few years back. It's a full-size atv, two wheel drive, with front and rear racks. 250cc engine with reverse. Auto clutch too. It handled well for medium paced duty, and was relatively low maintenance, with shaft drive, and air cooling. In 2000 you could get a new one for just over $2,000...so chances are good that you can find a relatively clean used one for under $2,000. Other machines in a similar category that you might consider are the Honda Sporttrax 250, and the Suzuki Z250. All three are auto clutch four stroke mid-size quads, but the Honda 250 and Suzuki 250 are more sport than utility and don't have racks. Expect clean used models of these to be price very close to the Yamaha, but perhaps a little higher.
This is the only quad in the mid to full size sport utility that I've had experience on...although there are a slew of very similar machines from all the manufactures, Honda, Yamaha, Kawasaki, Suzuki, Polaris, Bombardier, Arctic Cat, maybe I missed one? I've been riding over 20 years, and have been exposed to just about every kind of fourwheeler out there.
Sport quads and Performance quads are usually "full size", and if in good condition will probably be out of your $2,000 price limit. They range from around 200cc up to 700cc and above. Most all "real" sport quads will have manual clutches. In addition, they can be found with 2 and 4 stroke engines. Almost all of them have chain drive, and are two wheel drive. These rarely have any racks of any kind for hauling.
Sport Utilities are usually two wheel drive, and usually don't exceed about 400cc. Most are shaft drive, and most have at least one front or rear rack for light hauling.
Utility four wheel drives are almost always full size machines, and usually the engines are between 400cc-700cc and above. Most all are shaft drive, some have lots of bells and whistles, and therefore are usually very expensive...some much more than the high performance quads. Most have two racks, and quite a bit of load carrying capability.
Generally speaking, the only place you're going to find new quad with a two stroke engine nowadays is on Polaris and Yamaha. There are a couple others out there as well. Many high performance and sport quads can be found with either 2 stroke or 4 stroke engines, but generally speaking, a 4 stroke engine lends itself better to general duty, low maintenance situations.
As far as reliability goes, I have always preferred a Honda product. Pretty much all the jap bikes are well known for good reliability back in the early days, and in recent days, I would say it would be hard to find a new model out from any of the manufacturers that is downright "un-reliable".
When looking at a used machine, there are a number of common "trouble" areas that need to be looked at. If you need more info...you'll get it here on the forum. Good Luck!

Old 04-28-2004 | 08:38 PM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!

Living in the mountains, you will be able to take advantage of a utility (preferably a 4X4), with high ground clearance (~10"). The utes have shaft drive (better for crossing streams) and will do better when the trails have some snow on them. Plus, if you can put a snow plow on your machine, it will help cleaning the driveway. You are willing to use an autoclutch, so that opens up your choices quite a bit (as opposed to those who limit themselves to autos only).

Personally, I detest the current trend toward huge, massively heavy ute machines. You are a light guy, so you can easily get by with a medium size machine. I'm not sure how realistic your $2K limit is! It will most likely limit you to 2X4's??? You wont get much for that price, maybe an old Honda 300 or something. My personal favorite is the Honda Rancher. It is the "not to big, but not to small machine". Actually, our 2X4 Rancher is a very capable machine, but the 2X4 really falls short in the snow. The Recon is a real peach too, and a used one might be in your price range.

As for 2X4 sport machines, there are tons of choices. A sport bike can be a kick to trail ride in the mountains, as long as the rocks aren't to big (limited ground clearance, ~ 4"). They have WAY BETTER SUSPENSION than their ute relatives, so the ride is way more comfortable and fun. But, you will be more limited for winter riding. Most have chain drive (not great for frequent stream crossings), but some have shaft. My personal favorite with an autoclutch, is the Honda 250EX (shaft drive!). But here again, your $2K limit will severely cramp your choices! If you are willing to ride a machine with a fully manual (hand) clutch, your number of choices goes up dramatically. A used Blaster is probably what you can afford.

My motto is "never ride a utility, unless it is ABSOLUTELY NECESSARY"! Find out what trails are legal to ride, and go out and see what they are like. That will help you decide if you MUST have a utility.

At $2K, you will have better luck finding a dirt bike................

Old 04-29-2004 | 05:32 PM
Range Rover

Since you want to take a friend with you and haul stuff for camping maybe you could put the $2,000 down on a new Bombardier Outlander Max. It's a 400cc 4 stroke 4x4 with independent rear suspension and good ground clearance that is buit especially for carrying 2 people. It has a regular seat like a normal quad and another seat behind the front one for a second person to ride on. It's a sport utility that leans more towards sport than utility.

I know it is pricey but if you put $2,000 down on one that should give you pretty reasonable monthy payments.

This quad would be ideal for what you want to do but again I'm not sure you're looking to make this kind of investment in a quad.