Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

Do ATV forums help or hurt a buyer?

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2004, 11:25 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do ATV forums help or hurt a buyer?

I know that at the end of the day these types of forums do help out. But I think that the level/experience of the prospeective ATV buyer is a major factor in the equation. An experienced buyer is better able to filter through some of the BS and owner complaints and problems. The inexperienced buyer (like me) is likely confused to death after spending a few days, weeks, months researching and reading through all the information and opinion presented in forums.

I have actually walked away from two deals where I had agreed to buy an 04 Rancher AT in the last month. I left the dealership and a private seller excited and ready to pick the thing up the next day, went home and read a little bit more and was scared off thinking that I may not be making the right choice. Turns out not with the AT recall pending that the boards may have helped me. I'm now considering Rubicon, Foreman, Kodiak, maybe even Outlander.

However, ALL of these come with their own issues, or no issues at all, depending on who's posted what that day, or what you can dig up out of the forums. I know this debates come up here before, sorry to bring it up, but I really feel like I'm back to square one and I've been at this purchase attempt thing for over 7 months now!

Stuck on stuff I've read saying "can't go wrong with any machine out there"......to others saying "all new machines are junk"!! Eventaully I
ll have to just take the dive and move on one or the other.

Thanks and sorry for the rant!

Old 05-12-2004, 11:51 AM
Pro Rider

Ya, you'll never get the same answer from anywone it seems like......here is what I would do if I was you...first find out the quads that fancy you...then find out the specs of each one on the website..like go to honda website or whatever....Find the features that will most fit your needs...Like,,,automatic drive. manual...reverse...braking...individual rear suspension..or whatever it might be...Then do some research on price...prices vary and the dealers prices vary..see whats the best deal...Then once you get it down to three or so choices...go to a dealer and test ride them...See what quad fits you best and feels good.....In my opinion...if you keep your quad maintenanced and everything any quad can be very reliable..just have to take care of them..I meen every quad will someday have something go wrong but thats normal....these forums are a great source of information but like you said...everyone has there own opinions on everything which don't match up to other peoples opinions..........

you know what you should have did..since your looking more into the utilities...you should have been watching ATV TELEVISION!!!! they give all the pros and cons..and they do alot of utility quads....and that would probably help you out quit a bit

Old 05-12-2004, 12:02 PM
Pro Rider

I think the forums can be a big help.If you repeatedly read about a problem with a specific model and its the same problem then its a pretty good bet this model may have some issues worth questioning and looking over yourself.Just make sure its different people posting and check out several different websites to make sure its not just one or two people making a lot of posts.Also a lot of people will make statements based on what they've heard on other forums,not on what they know to be fact.The other problem is people who are very biased to the brand the bought themselves.I bought brand X so it is the best nothing else compares,blah blah blah, you have to watch some peoples posts for a while and see if it sounds like you can trust their opinion.I bought my last ATV pretty much on blind faith from things I'd read and heard.It is a DVX 400 same as the Suzuki Z400 and I don't think I've ever read or heard anything negative about these bikes on forums or in magazines.Good luck with your hunting and I also believe that all the manufacturer's are making good products, its just picking the one that suits you best for what you will be using it for.

Old 05-12-2004, 01:01 PM
Range Rover

I know what you mean wspstopgo. When I was looking for new tires I drove myself crazy trying to sift through all of the opinions expressed about different tires on this site. I thought I had made up my mind about 20 different times before reading something else and changing it.

Old 05-12-2004, 01:25 PM
Super Quad Patrol
Smokes meat all the time!

Originally posted by: wspstopgo

Stuck on stuff I've read saying "can't go wrong with any machine out there"......to others saying "all new machines are junk"!! Eventaully I
ll have to just take the dive and move on one or the other.

You pretty much said it there.

At the end of the day,,,,atv's are still man-made. Its like buying anything mechanical,,,sooner or later it will break down.

The general knowledge and 1st hand experience of some of the forum users is valuable. Fact is,,,,whatever you buy,,,someone has been there, done that.

Also,,,certain machines are very simple in design (low maintenance), and others get very complicated with all the technology the manufacturers have throw into their new bikes in the last 5 years in an effort to make them better.

Read a lot in the 'Buying an ATV' section. There is more to it than just buying the bike that doesnt break down. You need to really figure out what your needs and wants are for this bike. Take your time,,,,,you will be glad you did,,and you will get more bang for your $

What kind of terrain/trails?
Who will be riding this bike?
Experience of riders?
Size of riders?

Old 05-17-2004, 01:03 AM
Weekend Warrior

I had the same problem when I was looking. Then I bought what I liked the looks of the best. And so far been happy with the choice.

Old 05-19-2004, 01:55 AM
Pro Rider

You have a point I had the same problem a few weeks ago before getting the Suzuki Vinson. I spent every day reading forums from every web page you can think of but I also went out and read every ATV mag. there is too. This went on for a few months before making my decision. Bottom line, you can go just about anywhere in any ATV some may be better in certain areas but their mostly the same as long as you compare the same class. The main reason I didn't even look at the Hondas was because of the price. All the others seemed to offer all the same options at a lower cost.

I would say good luck but I'm telling you no matter what you get you'll be happy once you get out there and start riding. Trust me, you will never notice the name on your machine.

Old 06-04-2004, 12:18 AM
Pro Rider

Speaking from personal experience...
My second 4 wheeler(currently still own) is a Yamaha Grizzly 660. When I decided I wanted a new quad I searched and researched and decided on the Grizzly. I like the power and comfortable ride but Im a mudder and the Grizzly has some traits that are not "mud/water friendly". Im constantly having to drain the tranny cause I got the belt wet or it will sputter from the steam when you need power the most.

My wife...
She picked her quad because she liked Orange. Her Rancher has embarassed me so many times it aint even funny! Sure Ive had to clean the drum brakes a few times but other than that it has been a bulletproof machine.

So what Im saying is...
Take everything you see/hear with a grain of salt...even this post!

Old 06-07-2004, 01:18 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

wspstopgo

Honestly, most of the quads out there are pretty good. Really it just comes down to what type of riding you will do, what you want the quad to be able to do, what features you want, auto or manual, what size, etc etc. Like me, you will drive yourself nuts trying to completely analyze everything trying to get the perfect quad.

Don't look at each and every post. Read through them all and you will kind of get a feeling for what others like and don't like.

Read all the articles in the magazines. Don't pay attention to how the mags rank each quad though, instead look at the good and bad things they say, and what they say about the features and handling.

An example, I love my Rincon and Foreman. I have had no problems, and ALL others I know have had no problems. But some people have, and they bad mouth them. There will always be bad apples in every bunch, but I have seen no epidemic problems with either of mine.

Check out theATV Television website. Look at their test info. There website isn't that elaborate but it is good info. I've watched the shows that they rate the ATV's. I really like the way they test and the criteria they use. They do a good job of explaining each quad and it's pro's and con's and the good/bad features. They are pretty dang thorough.

MOST IMPORTANTLY:
I tell this to everybody I know buying a quad.
GO FIND SOMEBODY OR SOMEWAY TO TEST RIDE THE ANY QUADS YOU CAN GET YOUR HANDS ON
This is honestly the only way to find what you like. Most dealers will not let you test ride their quads, some that do, just let you ride in a parking lot. Beg anybody you can find to let you take a test ride.

Good Luck