Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

woods racing quads

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-1999, 10:14 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That is true... Well, Honda has not only the 250R, but the 300EX and 400EX are two of the best woods quads ever. 400EX being in the top 3. Polaris makes some kick *ss quads, but this auto tranny/4X4 sport quad stuff is awkward.

------------------
- 1996 Kawasaki Mojave, 1998 Kawasaki Mojave, http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/B...8090/home.html

Old 08-18-1999, 11:49 PM
Pro Rider

I like the idea of a sport/high performance 4x4, and don't object too much to the auto tranny, but floor boards and single lever braking? Come on!! It's pretty pathetic.

------------------
TRXter

400EX

Old 08-19-1999, 10:36 AM
Range Rover

Floorboards are awesome, and the sinlge lever brake that kicks butt, man o man while you are sitting there jamming your foot on those pegs and smashing the brakes down with your foot I put 2 fingers on the brake and that is it. Oh well fellas I am not fighting I just stick up for what I like just like you do. I agree that Honda does make a good quad and that the 400EX and 300EX are nice, but when it all comes down in the end POLARIS is the caddilac of them all.

Hey have a good one fellas.

cHuCk '99 ScRaMbLeR

Old 08-19-1999, 02:46 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Top ten things you can't do on a Polaris.

1. Use the front brakes only.
2. Downshift to a lower gear to increase engine braking.
3. Get immediate acceleration when hitting the throttle.
4. Pop the clutch to: explode from a corner, or lift the front end over an unexpected bump, or clear a slow double jump.
5. Roost your friends while cresting a dune.
6. Get to the top of larger dunes.
7. Go through whoops at speed.
8. Land from big jumps without creating a local earthquake.
9. Be the envy of your friends.
10. And… modify it enough to be competitive in the GNCC series races.

Old 08-19-1999, 02:53 PM
Range Rover

So what you are saying is that you are jealous? I mean come on now you dont even really know that for sure do ya? I weigh about 220 and I can pull the front end from a dead stop, (wheelie that is if you dont understand.) and keep on going. I can do all of the things you do. Ok lets go through some mud or up hills I will whoop ya!

Old 08-19-1999, 06:30 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hmmm. That sounds like another lame challenge across the internet that will no doubt never happen considering I live in Arizona and you live in Pennsylvania. I suppose you're gonna say that I backed down. Uh, huh. Right.

I have yet to see a Polaris actually ride a wheelie for more than a few yards. It reminds me of my six year old son bragging to his friends about a wheelie on his bicycle. In reality, and I know that reality is a very difficult concept for some people here, his wheelie was about 4 inches high and lasted for a microsecond. So, I guess that's what you meant. Does any Polaris rider have a pic of them standing the quad on its tail in a wheelie? I'm dying to see one. In motion, that is.

I actually laugh at the posts here quite often. They're ridiculous. "I can't keep the front end down on my Polaris" is one of my favorites. Especially with a stock or mildly moded one. Back on planet reality, it's more like "I got the front end up, but I had to yank REALLY hard on the bars while I was sitting way back on the six pack rack, and the wheelie lasted for 15 feet with the front tires barely above the ground". Reality rarely impresses anyone. Sorry.

Then we have the "mud and hill" challenges. I really don't care about gnarly uphill mudholes you Polaris riders seem to find so often. If Polaris is soooo awesome, then why can't you find a single one winning hill races at the dunes? Huh? Gee, all it takes it power, light weight and suspension to be king of the hill. According to Polaris owners, they HAVE all of that and MORE!!! Yet, the people that DO show up with one usually sit at the bottom of the hill saying "I wish I had a V8", rather than get spanked in a race. Everyone always sidesteps this issue!!! They always say, "Oh yeah, well lets race in the mud". Well back at ya Mr. Mudbug - LET'S GO RACE IN THE SAND!!!! NEENER, NEENER, NEENER!!!

This isn't bashing Polaris. It's all about the fantasy rides some of the owners have been on. I should have simplified this entire post by saying, "You're high dudes!"

SandmanBlue and his mild mannered Banshee

Old 08-19-1999, 10:34 PM
Pro Rider

DIDO, DIDO, DIDO...

You are right on. I don't ride a 2-stroke, but everytime I hear people saying Polaris is the BEST, I think of those aggressive sport riders that are into 2-stroke, 2wd, MANUAL tranny, hi-performance quads. It's not about this anyways, it's about simply having fun, but if you want claim a company the best, they better have the hi-performance racing side down first.

------------------
- 1996 Kawasaki Mojave, 1998 Kawasaki Mojave, http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/B...8090/home.html

Old 08-20-1999, 01:51 PM
Range Rover

Oh my this is funny. Anyway have you read some of the Honda owners posts? Man one guy stated that a honda 400EX had 52 HP STOCK!!! They always state that the 400EX is the king, but come on now! The 400EX speeds are rated slower than that of the Sport 400. (Just by like 1 or 2 mph) I have personally raced a 400EX on the flat (where all of you think you shine) and I didnt win, he had mods done already and I had none, but he only beat me by about three quads, now I have some mods of my own and I cant wait to see what happens this time. All in all I give Honda a 4 on a 5 scale, they look awesome, the look like a true racer, the speed and take off is definitely there. But here are some things I dont like, going up a hill it is like riding a freaking jackhammer!
BBBBBUUUUUUUUMMMMMMPPPPYYYYYY!!!!

Well have a good weekend folks!

Man if you want to know what would be really awesome? All of the members here at ATVING.COM should all get together and have one f%^$ING GOOD TIME ON A RIDE SOMEWHERE!!!!!

cHuCk '99 Scrambler and just love to have fun with you guys!

Old 08-24-1999, 12:33 AM
Pro Rider

Chuck, I almost thought you said you liked floorboards and single lever braking on a "sport" machine. But then I realized nobody could be that moronic. Whew!! You really had me going there for a second.

------------------
TRXter

400EX

Old 08-24-1999, 09:12 AM
Pro Rider

Sandman Blue,
On your top ten list a few things aren't true.
You can get immediate acceleration when hitting the throttle. Polaris tranny's are kinda soft out of the factory (like a car) so they appeal to all riders. You can change it to suit your needs if you want.
The 400's have enough power to blip the throttle and clear slow doubles etc.
You can roost your friend on a dune by punching the throttle.
My Scrambler 400 climbed every dune that every 250R, 400EX, lt250R, Lt500 & Banshee climbed sometimes even faster believe it or not.
The whoops is a good argument. Polaris are heavy, you just have to ride it rough like a large woman
As far as the envy from friends... I've never had anyone say anything bad about it.
I can't believe you haven't seen a Polaris ride a wheelie for more than a few yards. Was it a Sportsman or something?
I raced a 250R 3 wheeler & a Banshee awhile back. 3 of us side by side. I burnt both of them out of the hole and about had to sit on the damn gas tank to keep the front end down. I was only 3 quad lengths behind the Banshee. The 250R was damn fast though ! They both said they had never seen a Polaris leave the hole like that. This came straight from a Banshee owner who also said he couldn't believe a 4X4 ran with him.
They were racing at the dunes. I didn't participate because I didn't have paddles and 99.9% of the others did. And you know... even with 4WD it would have been over before it started. Anyway there were a couple of Sports that were beating 250R's & Banshees.
Maybe only 5 Sports there all together and one fast Scrambler 400. (not mine!)
It's too bad Polaris doesn't make a lightweight 2 stroke with a 5/6 speed. Because Polaris's are such junk none of you would ever own one anyway. Polaris biggest problem is the weight. The power is there.
Just think a light weight Polaris with the 400 2 stroke motor. Just remember Polaris has won the Jet ski racing title a couple years in a row, they make sleds that bust triple digits off the show room floor, if they want to whip your Banshee they will & I hope they do. Until then I will sink another $350 in my Scrambler so I can beat Banshees. Oh yeah, it's still less than a Banshee with all the mods.
I'm not trying to start an arguement. I never thought of Polaris quads being fast either. But the time shortly after my brother beat a 250R on his Sport I knew something was up with those slow automatics.
If you don't like them, then you don't like them. But give them some credit they are not that damn slow.
c-ya,

------------------
Andrew Thomas

'99 Scrambler 400 (New & improved with RCR kit and more raisins than ever) & '99 Trailblazer for Baby Butt Cheeks...

Quick Reply: woods racing quads