Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

woods racing quads

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-1999, 02:02 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My god Talon get over the Polaris'. I had a Trail Boss and my dad has a modified scrambler. The scrambler will flat out kill just about anything in a drag race but not in the trails and definatly not off jumps. I would take my 300ex over any automatic or any 4x4 for trail riding.

------------------
300ex... The Big Red Machine

Old 08-31-1999, 10:48 PM
Weekend Warrior

Unfortunately no one has answered your question....all to buisy arguing....bottom line is that "Dirtwheels" selected the 300ex as THE best woods machine of all time....better then a 400ex or whatever. That is if you arent going racing...if its just for you to ride on and build up...and YOU like it..get it....youll save big money over a 400ex too...

Old 09-01-1999, 09:05 AM
Pro Rider

Yeah but Dirtwheels are idiots... Give me the 400Ex anyday over the 300.
c-ya,

------------------
Andrew Thomas

'99 Scrambler 400 & '99 Trailblazer, both with RCR mods.

Old 09-01-1999, 04:25 PM
Pro Rider

My budy and I did about 50 miles of tite woods riding last weekend.Him on his86 trx 250r and me on 99 400ex.And it seemed that the ex had a slight advantage in the woods. Having a longer suspentchion and being able to suck up wash outs on the trail easyer than the R did.
But once out of the rough stuff the R gained a length or to out of the hole.But he was having a hard time keeping tire to ground traction.
I found myself staying high in the RPM's to make up for the snap of (that loud) two stroke,Watching his roost in antisipation of his aceleration.Running with a 22 inch XCT tires and droping a tooth in the front sproket seemed to give me more tire to ground traction ground clearence and just plain straight line hook up when the R tryed to get away.

Finially after about a 10 mile battle and no place to pass I decided to back down, We were getting to close to each other at 40 miles per hour.If I pushed it any further both of us would have crashed.Becides I was tired on getting rocks thrown at me,One the size of my fist came down the left side at about three feet.
I thought I saw a scrambler at a intersection but that was just a blur and gone in about 4 seconds.

A little advice to 400exers if you want to overtake a R.Do it in the rough stuff mostly to the inside.The ex suspention can suck it up, And stay on the gas!The whole machine may lurch side to side at aucward angles but it will return to where you pointed it.

Old 09-01-1999, 05:48 PM
Pro Rider

Not only did DirtWheels say that the 300EX was the best woods machine. But this months issue of 4-Wheel Atv Action also states the same thing. I'm not saying that it is the best quad in the world or anything. But just look at it on paper. 25 lbs less than the 400EX, shorter wheel base, great suspension and chassis design, and reverse. True that the Polaris machines, a warrior and 400EX will beat it in a drag race. But lets flip the coin and race in the woods. The 300EX will win every time.(if ridin with equal riders). Plus with tons of mods, the 300EX can be made into a woods rocket.
Facts, the best duner: banshee
best mx: 250r
best woods quad: 300EX
best all around(woods, track, dunes): 400EX

If you have different opinions, let hear them.

Chris "00" 300EX

Old 09-01-1999, 07:19 PM
Pro Rider

huh. The 300ex may be the best stock woods quad for every joe and george like the people here, but Barry Hawk would do much better on his R. But for every body else that is not a joe and george the R and the 400ex would be way better in everyway. So nuff BS from all you 300 owners about what DW and 4WA SAID!!!!
I think it is th first time you guys agrred with what the rags said. Maybe you didn't want your quad to look bad?
hmmmm...

Old 09-08-1999, 11:57 AM
Weekend Warrior

Unfortunately once again the forum has turned into a battle ground. mxer...I personally do not own a 300ex...I have a old 250x that works just fine. As far as the "rags" knowing more than you about a trail machine....I truley do not believe I even need to comment on their collection of knowledge vs. your opinion. And you can save the whole.."they have to say that or lose there advertising" bit..because it just aint so. Truth is Honda doesnt manufacture "bad" quads...in fact no one does...maybe they dont suit your taste..but that hardly makes them bad. Truth is a 300ex probably is the best woods machine ever made to date. Its lighter, more responsive to mods, costs less, and handles much better in the thick stuff. If the 400ex is "THE" woods machine why dont any pros use it?? Its not because of the chassis...they can handle ungodly amounts of power in extreme conditions. Can the average person ?? probably not. Truth is neither you or I can handle these machines. If we could we would be racing instead of discussing this. Im sure you are convinced that you are up to the challenge...maybe you are. But for the question that was posed I dont believe that either a 250r or a 400ex is the correct machine...although between the 2 the 400ex gets my nod.

Now for all the polaris owners...If you can truthfully tell me that a Pol whatever is better in the woods than a 400ex, 300ex, or even a 250x...than you are sadder than I thought. The facts are you weigh too much, and you have far less control of your quads than is necessary..(i.e. brakes, shifting) If you dont believe trail braking is necessary to ride fast in the woods, or being able to downshift to scrub off speed is important then you need to log some serious trail mile's. I like polaris...but for this case they shouldnt even be a consideration. They like all quads have a purpose...but woods racers they are not.

Now RIDe...my final thing to address is your question. You can find plenty of 250x's for under 2k...they are great in the woods. A 300ex is a good buy on the used market. And with the money saved from buying either one youll have plenty of cash for mods...which will allow you for a good set of hand guards, and a good helmet amongst other things. I think a 300ex would be the way to go depending on your familiarity with mechanics...newer bikes tend to break less than older ones. I believ your next bit of research should be finding prices and typical faults in each machine. above all buy the one you feel most comfortable on...a old 200x is better in the woods than a bike you dont really like...and it sure beats walking!!

Have fun, and enjoy your new quad no matter what you buy!!!

Old 11-15-2012, 09:25 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default Polaris 400 sport

I always get a kick out of the battles between polaris and Honda, and the things that people say. The group I ride with has them all and they are all great quads. Polaris 400 sport 2x4, 500 HO 4x4 (which in fact you can break the rear separate by foot) 400ex piped with big bore, 300ex piped and raptor. We are experienced riders and know how to handle these quads. Lets talk about Polaris 400 sport (96) vs 400 ex. The 400ex piped with big bore kit will out run the polaris 400 sport stock by about 3 quad lengths in 100 yards, the ex is a really nice quad. The polaris 400 sport will pull wheelies from the line if you do not feather the throttle. The 500 scrambler stock is a beast, it will take the big bore 400 ex, which it should because its a 500 and this includes sand. The on demand 4x4 actually comes alive in the sand, it's about traction. In fact the 500 HO polaris only lost to the rapper 660 on the sand drag buy a couple quad lengths surprisingly. The 300ex is a surprising quad when piped, it is neck and neck with 400 polaris sport. I think they are all fun and all have advantages. Lets talk about capabilities for budget. Lets face it polaris has made the 400 for years and called it all kinds of things. There are lots of affordable parts on market. Now here is my opinion on the matter and I work on them. The 400 polaris is a larger 2 stroke. If you are mechanically inclined, weather you prefer 2 or four stroke, you can't argue the fact that you can build the hell out of a 400 2 stroke. As much as I like all the quads, EX being one of my favorites. You can take a stock 400 sport polaris, get a nice one for under a grand and 1. Shave and port, 2. Clutch kit for harder shift 3. bore with good piston and rings 4. pipe and aftermarket carb. 5. K&N filter. Once you do these things, you just went from 35hp to 60-80hp just depending on how far you go. You can even cut weight with racing flywheel, removing starter and use pull start only among more mods available for the serious. My point, not much gonna hang with a built 400 2 stroke, not a 400 4 stoke with same money put into it. I am not trying to argue this point based on bias opinion, if you don't believe me you can contact your local engine shop and ask them. I have seen them rip it up and have heard nothing will touch them on the drag when they are built right. I think all quads have advantages and disadvantages and are different, that is why they make them different and they suit different people. We all like things a little different and that is ok. I have personally decided I am going to stoke the 400 sport. It's cheap, easy and a blast to ride.

Old 11-15-2012, 03:37 PM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This may be the oldest thread I've ever seen revived. I wonder how many of those guys are still here.

Old 11-15-2012, 03:43 PM
Supersock
Hired Gun!
"Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!"
Received 168 Likes on 167 Posts

It's old enough I wonder how many of them are still alive.

Quick Reply: woods racing quads