Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

BEWARE - Polaris Unlimited, Foley, AL

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-1999, 07:53 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought an extended warranty from Polaris Unlimited in Foley, AL for $500. They pocketed the money and sent me a bogus contract. They won't take my phone calls. They won't respond to letters. They won't respond to the Better Business Bureau's inquiries. Beware.

Old 08-13-1999, 05:04 PM
Pro Rider

Tim,

Have you checked with the District Attorney's office to file charges against them for Fraud. In any state, it is against the law to take someone's money and not return a service. It would be same for one of those fly-by-night telemarketers that leave town before the cops show up. All you need do is have Polaris provide you with proof that the dealer never registered your vehicle as a model under warranty.

Now they may have sold you a third-party warranty from someone other than Polaris. At one time Polaris did not offer extended warranties and dealers were forced to find their own insurance company to underwrite the warranty. Yet even in this case, if you paid $500 then the dealer is obligated to inform you as to origin of the warranty underwriter.

Once charges are filed, it is up to the dealer to provide proof of paid services.

If the underwriter is refusing the pay for warranty work, that is a different matter that must be taken up with them.

Good luck.

Do it now before they close their doors.

[This message has been edited by drlaney (edited 08-13-1999).]

Old 08-13-1999, 10:37 PM
Weekend Warrior

I have filed a complaint with the BBB to no avail. I recently did send a letter to the Attorney General's office with a copy of the BBB complaint and reply.

Old 08-17-1999, 06:43 PM
Pro Rider

Tim,

Check to see if the Alabama Attorney General's office does not have a Consumer Affairs division. I suspect you may even find it has a Web site.

Remember as a kid driving through Foley to get to Gulf Shores when it was just a small country town that happended to be on the beach. The only franchise hotel was the Holiday Inn.

Here it is Tim.

http://www.ago.state.al.us/consumer/alerts.cfm
Good luck.

[This message has been edited by drlaney (edited 08-17-1999).]