Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

Sportsman 500, Master Quad, or Grizzly?

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-1999, 11:27 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am currently looking to buy an atv no later than early summer of 2000, and possibly this fall. I would appreciate any and all comments you may have, be them good or bad, about the atv you may have out of the choices above, or if you may know someone that has one. I need a worker for light log pulling, and will also be using it for ice fishing, (driving it in slush app. 2' deep), plowing, mudding, and trail riding. I have been told many things in the area: I.E. The atomatics are not real good due to the fact the belt gets wet? Dont know anyone that actually has one, so thought id try here for that question as well. Also, I wont buy a full time 4wd, cause i need to work on grass, etc. Thus, the reason for leaving out Honda, (sorry guys). Right now i would say the Grizzly is my favorite, and wonder if anyone has one with the locker kit and the bigger wheels on it? Would like to see a picture of it if at all possible, or even find out where to go to see a pic of it. I dont want to buy the atv, and then turn around and have to shell out more money for new rims, tires, etc., when i can get them at the same time I get the locker kit put in at the dealership, and trade the stock ones torward the kit ones. Hope you can help me here. Thank you!!!!

Old 09-06-1999, 01:20 PM
Trailblazer

Having a locker is like having full time 4wd...

------------------
Sylvain Belec 400 scrambler - 225 moto4

Old 09-06-1999, 07:58 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A-TEAM,a locker and full time 4wd are not in any way the same.Honda full time 4wd quads supply power to only one wheel in the front,usually it being the wheel spinning helplessly in the air,while the other tire does virtually nothing.On the other hand,a locker will provide the front tires with power to both front wheels at all times.If a person was not a serious mudder,than a locker is not recommended.The limited slips do a good job in most other terrains.

Old 09-06-1999, 08:13 PM
Trailblazer

duh.. I think I know what is a locker...And for yer personnal information, when ya say that ya have full time 4 wheel drive, it does NOT mean that you have a limited-slip, it does not mean that you have a fully locked... it just mean that you have power going to the front and the rear wheel... In my early post, I was just saying this cause the guy said he wanted the 2wd/4wd option. But he also wanted a locker so I just said that when you have a locker, it is still locked even if you are in 2wd...

------------------
Sylvain Belec 400 scrambler - 225 moto4

Old 09-07-1999, 05:42 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A-TEAM,a locker to me is all four wheels provided with power all the time to ALL four wheels under any circumstance..Any full time or selectable 4x4 quad[having the option of 2x4 or 4x4] is limited slip unless it is supplied with a locker kit except the King Quad,which has a lockable front end while the selecter is in the Differential Lock moad.Polaris AWD 4x4 quads will also supply power to all 4 wheels continually when the rear wheels spin faster than the front,but cannot be conciderd a full time locker though.