Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

I finally got my R!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-1999, 07:00 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok peeps out there. I finally got my 87 TRX 250r, and I have ordered a whole bunch of stuff for it already. Here is the list:

TCS front shocks
Works Ultracross Rear Shock
Durablue X-33 axle
Krypton +2 A-arms
Holeshot front and backs with Douglas .190
Pro Taper Bars
CT Midrange Pipe
Kill Switch
CT Fastline Break Lines

Is there anything else that anyone might recommend to get for a racing machine. I cant really think of anything else that necessary at the moment. If you have any ideas I would greatly appreciate them.

250r

Old 09-08-1999, 08:59 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

can-can,
you've got an impressive start there... what about nerfs, wheel rings,tether kill switch, unless that's what you listed? Will the Pro Tapers fit your stock clamps? They won't on bikes..they require their own clamp around $100. How about fatter main jets to make all that stuff go?

THE AZ HARD PACKER, calmiller@kachina

------------------
save your riding area! join the Blue Ribbon Coalition online @www.sharetrails.org

[This message has been edited by hot_shoe_cv (edited 09-08-1999).]

Old 09-08-1999, 09:22 PM
Pro Rider

verry nice!..

You sure don't mess around.Before you max out that card.Check out these parts.

1-Stearing stem bushing,use original stem till it bends,(spreading your wings like that will put a lot more stress on the stem.
2-inspect tie rod ends for play.
3-Skid plates.(no Brainer).
4-Test all brake calipers for siezed pistons.Be verry! verry! careful taking the skrews out of the glide plates,somtimes they are siezed.DON"T round off the hex heads'.Use a tourch to heat up the glide plates (use caution) A new caliper is $$$375.00 Wooo...........
5-check brake lines for cracks.They are 12 years old .Flush system.
6-Flush rad.
7-Check exaust donut and retaining ring for good seal to head.(Donuts break down in time)A tite exaust can make a world of difference!!!!!!!
8-Check seat latch,(an air box inspection during a race sucks)race?replace!
9-o-ring chain and sprokets(cheaper in kit form)Inspect chain guids?
10-clutch cable,inspect,age?????
11-Carb- hoses (The clear ones) if hard? replace.
12carb-boot to head,Age???Boot to air box age???
13-Crank case drain plug,(is it sripped).
14-Get stiff drink of your choise.
15-Air box/breathing tube drain hoses,Hard?? replace.
16-Front spindle bearings,Age???12 years old ? (Duooooo Thanks)
17- oh,I forgot this,check reed valves in intake of head.Age??? Boyston reeds work very well.
18- take Gas tank take off and inspect,(If you are going to race check out desert tank)It burns fuel fast!!!!
19-Check frame alignment(this can be tricky)

And the granddady of them all,Motor and trans??????????????????????????????????????????1st compresion check (pray) Get another beverage of choise!!!!!!!And if you have to go in there? I have another 50 item list.

The verry best of luck to you.Don't kill yourself.Body armor all the way around.

PS Get hot_shoe to tune your carb,He's one of the best posters I've read about.

------------------

[This message has been edited by trx430ex (edited 09-08-1999).]

[This message has been edited by trx430ex (edited 09-10-1999).]

Old 09-08-1999, 10:08 PM
Weekend Warrior

Definitly check your bearings when you have the axle out. If they go out you might ruin your new $$$ axle. The axle and front spindle bearings are all sealed.

Pull apart your swingarm and linkage, inspect, clean, and re-grease. Go through the bike with a torque wrench.

And make sure you buy a manual. Honda makes the best.

If you have stock plastic and it is in good condition you might want so save it and buy some cheap maier racing stuff. Save the stock stuff because you will probably trash it.

The pro tapers will need a mount kit.

------------------
"Ride it like ya stole it!"

Old 09-12-1999, 06:22 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks a lot for the info on the quad. I already have the clamp kit for the bars, nerfs were a must...those were the first things that I bought for it! May I ask what wheel rings are, where do you get em, who makes em? The overall inspection was good, except my tie rod ends need to be replaced. Tie rods come with the A-Arms, but not the ends. So if I am gonna get +2 A-Arms I need to get a new Steering stem? Is it necessary or should I just do it to be safe? Thanks again for all the help everbody has given me..I just have to ask for more, I am so greedy!

Thanks,
250r

Old 09-18-1999, 12:34 PM
Trailblazer

Don't forget a case saver, Nac's makes a nice one. Also an emergency brake block-off so you can ditch the whole e-brake assembly. An MSR Raptor clutch lever will replace the stock lever and e-brake crap nicely. And don't skimp on helmet and boots, buy the best you can afford, because sooner or later you WILL regret cheapies. Also look into a twin row bearing carrier, or a tapered bearing carrier for that new axle, my stocker shelled out on me, possibly due to more stress from the +2" axle. Have fun and make sure you keep some cash on hand for any weird failures (like radiator, clutch discs, etc.)

------------------

Old 09-20-1999, 07:48 PM
Weekend Warrior

My shocks and A-Arms finally came in. But I am a little upset because the A-Arms dont have the adjustable camber I had hoped for. I guess that is what I get for not researching enough! Oh well. But I have a 3 to 5 week weight on the rear shock, and I need to buy a wrench to fit the nut to get the axle off. I am thinking seriously on the steering damper and stem, new bearings in the back.