Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

my parents won't let me buy a quad

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-1999, 05:13 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm 15 years old and I'm saving up to buy a quad but my parents say I cannot get one I would be 16 by the time I would have enought money to get one but they still say I can not get one because they are unsafe my dad had one when he was my age he will let my get won but my mom won't what should I do

Old 10-03-1999, 05:53 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ask your parents if you can take the ATV Safety Institute Rider's Course. The fee is $ 35, but if you can save enough to buy a quad you should be able to raise this much cash.

Find a course where they will loan you an ATV; call the ATV Safety Institute toll-free number ((800) 887-2887) for information;
arrange for use of a helmet and goggles. Your parents must authorize you to take the course at your age, I think.

This approach will demonstrate you're interested in safety and you will learn lots of useful riding techniques as well.

If your parents will not let you take the safety course, there is little chance you'll get permission to buy a quad. I hope they will see the benefits in encouraging safe ATVing.

Good luck.

Tree Farmer

Old 10-03-1999, 05:53 PM
Trailblazer

u got to options. I'm 18 and know how ya feel. 1) Suck it up and live without one until you are 18. 2) Forget your pride and do some serious suckin up to your mom, i.e. clean the house, mop or somethin and keep doin it until she finally agrees to let you have one.

Old 10-04-1999, 12:18 PM
Rod
Trailblazer

Greetings,

You need to implement a program of systematic progressive desensitization -- in other words, get them used to the idea. Let's take it a step at a time.

1. First, last, and always -- don't argue about it. That will only set up walls between you.

2. Next, ask your mom to check out some of the threads on this forum and to look at the articles. Reading the helpful and informative exchanges puts a positive face on things and the articles (like Quads on the Rocks) can help dispell some of the negative images associated with ATVs and their riders.

3. Wait a week or so and see if you can steer your parents to a nice dealership. It has to be really nice -- not some old garage with a lot of rough edges (and people). I was in a dealership this weekend that sold virtually every brand of ATV, motocycle, and water craft and their showroom (which was literally about an acre in size) was a mini Disney World for adults. I dare anyone to go in there and not smile. And, as a parent in my late 40s, I can tell you that we still remember what it was like to be young and that is the feeling you want to rekindle in your parents. Have your mom hop on a Scrambler and maybe try on a helmet. She'll probably have a good time and get a better feeling for the scope of things -- but don't try to close the deal yet. You just want her to be able to say "gee, I can see what he likes about this, it is pretty neat."

4. Now test the waters -- see if the topic of ATVs can be brought up at home without obvious signs of distress. Can you talk about it as part of normal conversation? Can your mom engage in a discussion without a change in blood pressure and respiration rate? When ATVs seem "normal" in the house, your ready for a proposal.

5. Propose a reasonable solution -- a modest machine plus a safety course. You didn't say what you were looking at, but at your age I suspect something like a Blaster might be in order (and remember: any quad is more fun than no quad).

6. If the answer is still no, quietly ask if there is anything that might change her mind -- give her the chance to find a solution to her objections. If still no, ask if we can revisit the subject in six months. Just keep the possibilities open and hopefully time will wear away the opposition.

So there's a plan -- and incidentally, it worked for a couple of guys in the old forum. Let us know how you make out.

Thanks,

Rod 98 450ES [...and its yellow]

[This message has been edited by Rod (edited 10-04-1999).]

Old 10-05-1999, 12:46 AM
Pro Rider

newbe, Lots of good suggestions here. I can only add one to Tree Farmer's list: if you do manage to get parental approval to take the safety course, insist to your Mom that "since she is a fair-minded person", she attend the course with you and Dad. I'm sure she will pick up some third party assurances from the instructor that ATVs need not be death traps .

------------------
save your riding area! join the Blue Ribbon Coalition online @www.sharetrails.org

Old 10-13-1999, 10:20 PM
Trailblazer

You should improve your English and respect your parents.They know what is best for you.

J.C.

Old 10-19-1999, 04:30 PM
Pro Rider

J.C.
I Honestly didn't think his english was to bad. I have seen a lot worse, including mine !! A few typos and some missed periods doesn't mean he has bad english !! I thought we were supposed to be helping not criticizing. Lets get with it !!

newbe... between Tree Farmer and Rod, that about raps it up !! Listen to those two and most of the others here and you will be in good shape !! All i can say is, be patient.

I didn't get my first quad till i was 23. And my wife got it for me for christmas !! Go figure !!

------------------
Exer_95....Jason....95' Honda 300ex

Old 10-19-1999, 08:15 PM
Pro Rider

My first advice is to take the saftey coarse.If mom allows that,than you got it made.Since dad allready agrees that you can get a quad.After taking the saftey coarse,start talking to dad more about this quad.Fathers have a way to persuade their wives into the cunningest things.I personally get my way about 98% of the time.Thats not to say that im asking for unreasonable things though.Mom is just a scared parent right now and you need to understand that to.But us dads usually have a way of persuading our wives.Take the safety coarse,chum up with dad,Im betting you'll get a quad.----BILL

Old 10-21-1999, 12:03 AM
Pro Rider

Show your parents repeated evidence that you can act in a responsible manner and you might be surprised at what they might buy for you. But remember, it only takes one screw up to wipe away most if not all the "atta boys".