Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

Assistance w/ Pricing ATV

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2004 | 12:56 AM
|
Weekend Warrior
Default Assistance w/ Pricing ATV

I apologize for putting this in the "buying" section, but thought this might be the best place for some help.

I have a 1996 Polaris 300 Xpress / 2WD / 2 Stroke bike that I am interested in selling. I am the only owner of it and the bike is in very good condition considering it's age (only flaws I can think of are some minor cracks in the fenders). The bike runs like a champ. I replaced the ignition wiring harness about 3 years ago, just pulled the starter and cleaned it today, and purchased a new battery for it.

What would be a fair price to sell this bike at considering the above description? I'm throwing in a saddle bag, helmet, eye proctection, clutch puller and rifle rack too.

KBB list the bike at $1430 for trade-in and $2140 for retail. I'd really like to get at least $1800 for the bike (about half the difference between trade-in and retail) but would obviously be much happier with $2K. I'm thinking of listing it at $2K with nothing less than $1800. Does this sound like a fair price?

Xpress

Old 08-29-2004 | 05:03 PM
Trailblazer

Sell the accessories separate on Ebay, unless you just dont want to fool with it.

Your best bet is to sit it out somewhere where alot of people will see it and want to buy it on looks alone. If you advertise with the stats you gave, you wont sell it, its too old, not 4WD and a 2 stroke, its not very desirable.

Shine it up and put it near a major highway or high traffic area, see what happens.

Old 08-30-2004 | 10:41 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Why are you throwing in the items? Aren't you going to ride anymore?

It really depends on how much quads are selling for in your area. Also, how many quads are selling in your area.

I think you have a good chance of selling it. It looks pretty good in the picture. It would be cheap enough where someone would buy it to get into atving. It's also a 300, so more of people would find it adequate. They might want a 4x4 but they'll have to come up with more money for a 4x4.

NADA w/o extras is $1295. average retail. KBB is usually higher and that's why used car salesmen like to post KBB values on their cars.

There's such a difference between the NADA and KBB prices. I was going to type that you should put it in for $2200. advertising the extras. Then go down to $2000. It's easier to go down in price than to go up. If you start high, you can take your time and drop it little by little. Unless you're in a hurry to sell. You might be better off starting out at $2000. and dropping to $1800. like you typed. Considering the NADA value.

Old 08-30-2004 | 04:58 PM
|
Weekend Warrior

Thanks guys. Good points in both posts.

Coyotechaser

I am in the military and have been moving around quite a bit the last few years. I'll be making a few more moves in the next 3 years. I am a bit tired of moving this bike around. I don't think I have put 2 hours on it in the last 4 years. I purchased it when I was young for the farm and when I thought it was a necessity for hunting. I later learned airplanes and feet can get you in much better places. I had some good times on it, but just don't use it anymore.

I'm currently in sourthern Idaho, so most 2WD quads will get you just about anywhere a 4WD can go. It hardly ever rains here and is quite flat. The fact hunting season is just starting up hopefully means it is a sellers market.

Thanks again for your input guys.