Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

buying an ATV

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2000, 08:41 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am looking to buy a sport ATV for my wife because I would like her to start riding with me. I ride CR250. We will be mostly trail riding, and probably a couple trips to the dunes each year. She is not an experienced rider. I don't want to spend alot on it in case she doesn't like it. I have looked at the Trail Blazer 250 and the Blaster. Are these good machines? could you recommend anything else?

Old 01-08-2000, 11:28 PM
Pro Rider

The most obvious questions are does your wife want to shift? Does she want reverse? Electric start? A full sized quad?
The TB is a great 1st quad. I don't know how crazy she might be getting at the dunes (the TB is better on trails) but even with the RCR kit I had to give our TB all it had to climb the biggest hills. But it did make it.
On the trails it is quite inpressive though. I don't know how a Blaster would do in the sand. I assume not real well either being it also has a small motor. Don't get me wrong, I'm sure it does OK. But you riding a CR 250 might get real bored waiting on her to keep up. In the sand at least. If it were me (& it once was) I would get the TB (& I did!).
At $2995 the TB is a much better deal than the $2999 they ask for a Blaster.
When most women are offered an auto they take it & most would rather have reverse than get off and push a quad backwards. At least from what I've seen.
c-ya,
I reread my post & the way I wrote it they both sound like junk. NOT the case at all!!! They are just underpowered for the sand. However for trails I think both will do a super job, especially the TB.
------------------
Andrew Thomas

'99 Scrambler 400 & '99 Trailblazer, both with RCR mods.

[This message has been edited by Andrew Thomas (edited 01-08-2000).]

Old 01-09-2000, 02:12 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

jace,
If your other 1/2 isn't too large, you might take a look at the Mohave (www.kawasaki.com)
As a 4 stroke, it's not pipey as the smaller 2-strokes are, hence much easier for a novice to ride. Yet this 250 cc does have a 5 spd tranny w/reverse, good suspension & good hydraulic brakes. It's a true sport bike in the same price range as the Blaster.

P.S. I ride a Warrior so you know I'm not predjudiced toward Kawi's.

------------------
THE AZ HARD PACKER, calmiller@kachina.net

save the public land FOR you, not FROM you..join the Blue Ribbon Coalition online @ www.sharetrails.org

[This message has been edited by hot_shoe_cv (edited 01-09-2000).]

Old 01-09-2000, 07:01 PM
Pro Rider

Jace, you've got a tough task at hand. I originally bought my wife a suzuki lt160 semi-auto which turned out to be very light in the front end and was a big factor in a roll on a small hillclimb with some roots. It too was $2999 and a real bargain. The I saw a friends trailblazer that his wife rode for the same money and couldn't believe how I was "ripped off" due to ignorance of choices. I decided to buy her the 4-stroke version for another 200 bucks...TrailBoss 325. You get a full sized frame with power, stability, weight for safety, a big seat,and a much softer ride with fully auto tranny. No shifting, just a throttle and one brake for all tires. Same quad as the trailblazer accept for the motor. Happy hunting.

------------------
Steve Small, '00 400ex
'00 Trail Boss for the wife.
Impuls90 for the boys.
<a href="mailto:extreme400ex@home.com">EXtreme E-mail</a>

Old 09-10-2020, 08:30 PM
Weekend Warrior

i personally would go with a honda 250ex small sufficient power not to slow not much maintenance