Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

Honda versus Yamaha

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2000, 06:44 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok, I'm looking for some information on the 2000 big bear 4WD. It doesn`t seems like there`s alot of people that bough it but it sure seems like a good quality quad. I have heard of alot of thing concerning the rancher 4WD and I am now looking between those two. I would like to know which one is better at what, like riding tight woods, mud, crawling, handling, hill climbing, deep water and some straight trails. I don`t really care about top speed since I own a 400 scrambler. I would appreciate any info comming from people that have RIDDEN BOTH. tanx...

Old 01-13-2000, 07:19 PM
Weekend Warrior

I have a honda, so i'm about honda's and there reliablity and so on, though there's a general rule that i follow on cars, and most likely should be applied to 4wheelers,

rule being that it's sometimes not a good idea to buy a new car that is brand new.. meaning completely re-done, or created. ex. being when dodge changed everything on the dodge trucks in '94 from the ground up. sometimes the new product needs a year or two to "get the bugs worked out of it"...

this isn't always true, and i'm certainly not saying that for the Rancher, but it's something that i personally consider on a big purchase that will be with me for a long time.

-brian.

Old 01-14-2000, 05:13 PM
Range Rover

I have a 00' Big near 4x4 and was considering the new Honda but they weren't in the dealer showrooms yet. I first consulted my friend who owns a motorcycle repair shop. He highly recommended Honda over Yamaha because of Honda's reputation and his first hand knowledge of working on all japanese brands of m/c's. He did point out Yamaha's quality and stressed that IF I paid attention to preventive maintenance and took good care of machine, it will last as long I wish to keep it.
The choice is yours, use your good sense and don't listen to any sales person.

Old 01-14-2000, 11:15 PM
Range Rover

I just bought a new Honda Rancher 4x4 ES and I love it.. I took it trail riding Thursday and it didn't miss a beat. Sweet ride, easy to ride, plenty of power. ( alot of times I would start out in 3rd and had to look at the diag display) first gear is a granny gear. It went thru mud holes with ease, climbed hills, plenty of power, great braking. amazing steering. almost like a Point and shoot steering, unlike some quads.. where you turn, lean forward and hope the thing doesn't go streight.
I am very glad I made the decission I did.

Brian in NC

Old 01-22-2000, 08:47 PM
Trailblazer

go with honda. i had a warrior and i went through 3 engines!!!! then i got my 300ex and beat the living **** out of it and no problems yet