Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

Quadrunner500vs.ForemanSvs.Kodiak400

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2000, 01:41 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm trading in my favorite sportbike for an atv. I've been riding bikes for 23 yrs., looking for opinions on these machines. Salesman(!) says Kodiak will run with the Foreman, review says LT-F500 Quadrunner has the best engine. What do you think?

Old 01-29-2000, 08:28 AM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for the reply. I'll mostly be using it for trail/recreational riding, but need some utility capability(to justify it to my better half). A good friend has a Foreman, I just don't want to get left behind.

Old 01-29-2000, 02:58 PM
Pro Rider

Yea, Thats all right. The kodiak actually beat the 450 in a shoot out because of it's sportyness.

What will you be using this 4x4 for?

Old 01-29-2000, 04:58 PM
Trailblazer

I was reading a dirtwheels magazine last night it had a article about the the polaris 500 scrambler this may be an option for you the cost is 6099.00 that I believe is the same as the Kodiak. you have the option of putting on racks and or a hitch. it has on
demand four wheel drive they say it's a great hill climber and does well in the mud. it has good will travel for those rough trail rides. they say the top end is between 65-68 mph that we'll take care of your friends Foreman. I have a 2000 450s that I really enjoy rideing I got this ATV for some trial rideing and a lot of muddin!!
good luck on your choice!!! let us no what you buy?

Old 01-29-2000, 05:32 PM
Weekend Warrior

Okay so far, what about auto tranny vs. manual shift? Remember, I've been riding bikes forever, so having to shift isn't a big issue. Everybody says auto is always in the right gear or they say the belts burn up. Maybe it's just an ego thing, but I think that I would rather decide which gear I want to be in. Also, which one would I get bored with 1st? This is my one and only shot at getting one!! A friend's got a 00 Foreman ES, rode it the other day in the snow-really nice but local dealer won't negotiate. Business is business I guess, also have heard quite a few folks say that just about any machine is ok, there really aren't any bad ones.

[This message has been edited by X-2wheels (edited 01-29-2000).]

Old 01-29-2000, 06:41 PM
Trailblazer

as far as the tranny's go this is a personal matter. I got the 450s and my wife has the es. I like the foot shift its hard to teach a old dog new tricks! but I like the es on the rough and twisty trails it's easier to shift with your thumb than your foot when you're standing up. I'm scared of the belt drive autos I like riding in the water and mud to much to trust them. you may want to wait until May or June and take a look at the RUBICON it will be a belt less auto and a five speed es when it comes out it could be the best all around ATV!! it will be hard to get any dealer to negotiate on a ATV. find a dealer that YOU will enjoy doing business with. what ever you do make sure that you test drive the ATV at least in the parking lot. I got a 2000 Yamaha that I did not test drive it is hard to shift I am arguing with the dealer about it. I'm like you I'm would get to board with the automatic. also keep in mind which ATV you can get a better resale value or tradin on. I believe that would be the Honda or polaris.

Old 01-30-2000, 09:50 AM
Trailblazer

I have a 00 Kodiak and love it. As for me I like the automatic, when going over things you just slow down and go over it. As far as the belt I wouldn't let it be a concern, you will not have any problems with it. The engine is strong it also has hi-lo range + park and2-4 option and disc brakes. If you havent ridden one yet take a ride on one. It runs about 55-58 MPH.I happy with what I bought. Just my opinion!

------------------

Trending Topics

Old 01-30-2000, 11:42 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

TRICLAW, good posts; small point of clarification. I believe the Yamaha has "On-COMMAND" 4WD in contrast to "On-Demand," as you state.

The Yamaha system (as I understand it) requires rider input ("command"), shifting a lever, to engage 4WD/2WD. The Polaris "On-Demand" system instead shifts into 4WD transparently without rider input, depending upon traction conditions (i.e., rear wheel slippage relative to front wheel rotation).

The content of your posts is not diminished by this nit-pick; just clarifying definitions.

Tree Farmer

Old 01-30-2000, 01:51 PM
Pro Rider

TreeFarmer,

For the first time(that I have seen) you are wrong. Yamaha uses a button to shift from 2wd to 4wd. But you are right about the rest.

------------------
Arctic Cat 500, Don't worry I'll pull you out.

Old 01-30-2000, 03:41 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks to all for the excellent advice and information, it's been a big help. (I wish I could buy them all, but you know what they say-- wish in one hand,...) Seems like the way to go might be to wait on the Rubicon and then start this process all over again. Just kiddin', don't want to belittle y'alls advice like that. Resale value is a good thing to think about, as well as Honda's "legendary" reliability. I already DO have a good relationship w/my Kawasaki-Suzuki dealer, so it is a plus to deal with them. As soon as I get the deal done, I'll post my decision. Again, thanks a bunch for the sage advice and wisdom.I guess it's time to start test driving!!!!!!

X-2wheels