Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

ready to step up

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2000, 11:40 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i ride a 97 blaster and have made a few mods like tire, airfilter, power reeds, pipe and silencer. I ride mx, cross country and play ride.I feel the blaster is under powered and the suspension is too soft. I am looking at either a trx250r or a 400ex. I would appriciate any suggestion, price is not a real big issue either. Thanks!

Old 02-02-2000, 07:38 PM
Pro Rider

hey if you can get your hands on a 250r get it because they are a little faster than the 400ex
but the 400ex is better belt and has better suspendsion, the 250r's are awsume machins and i
rather have one of those than the 400ex but 400ex's are my 2 chose

Old 02-02-2000, 10:34 PM
Pro Rider

Did you really have to ask that question. No, just kidding. I was in your same position less than a year ago. I went with the 400EX, and I am very happy with my decision. I didn't know what was right . . . find a 250R and fix it up, or buy a brand-new machine and be done with it. Like I said, I am happy with my desicion and haven't regreted it one bit.

Ride both machines. Coming off a Blaster, you might like the 2-stroke powerband ("hit") better than the smooth feel of a 4-stroke. About powerbands: this past weekend I was out in Glamis, and got to try a 250R. It was totally different from my 400EX. What a hit! All of a sudden you are going at steady rpm, and you crack the throttle the tiniest bit, then, BAM, it takes off. Personally, I didn't like that. I like the smoothness of a 4-stroke. I think the hit would be difficult to deal with, especially in the dunes, but I'm obviously wrong as Banshees are by far the most popular quad out there.

On the flip side, you'd get used to the hit and (probably) quickly adapt. Even the Blaster, which supposedly has a broad powerband for a 2-stroke, seemed like it had a big hit. A four-stroke will spoil you.

Back to the question. My advice: ride them and decide which engine you like better. The 250R and the 400EX share similar chassis and suspension components, so the engine sets them apart the most.

Old 02-02-2000, 10:35 PM
Pro Rider

Did you really have to ask that question. No, just kidding. I was in your same position less than a year ago. I went with the 400EX, and I am very happy with my decision. I didn't know what was right . . . find a 250R and fix it up, or buy a brand-new machine and be done with it. Like I said, I am happy with my desicion and haven't regreted it one bit.

Ride both machines. Coming off a Blaster, you might like the 2-stroke powerband ("hit") better than the smooth feel of a 4-stroke. About powerbands: this past weekend I was out in Glamis, and got to try a 250R. It was totally different from my 400EX. What a hit! All of a sudden you are going at steady rpm, and you crack the throttle the tiniest bit, then, BAM, it takes off. Personally, I didn't like that. I like the smoothness of a 4-stroke. I think the hit would be difficult to deal with, especially in the dunes, but I'm obviously wrong as Banshees are by far the most popular quad out there.

On the flip side, you'd get used to the hit and (probably) quickly adapt. Even the Blaster, which supposedly has a broad powerband for a 2-stroke, seemed like it had a big hit. A four-stroke will spoil you.

Back to the question. My advice: ride them and decide which engine you like better. The 250R and the 400EX share similar chassis and suspension components, so the engine sets them apart the most.

Old 02-02-2000, 10:37 PM
Pro Rider

Did you really have to ask that question? No, just kidding. I was in your same position less than a year ago. I went with the 400EX, and I am very happy with my decision. I didn't know what was right . . . find a 250R and fix it up, or buy a brand-new machine and be done with it. Like I said, I am happy with my decision and haven't regretted it one bit.

Ride both machines. Coming off a Blaster, you might like the 2-stroke powerband ("hit") better than the smoothness of a 4-stroke. About powerbands: this past weekend I was out in Glamis, and got to try a 250R. It was totally different from my 400EX. What a hit! You are going at steady rpm, you crack the throttle the tiniest bit, and BAM, it takes off. Personally, I didn't like that. I like the smoothness of a 4-stroke. I think the hit would be difficult to deal with, especially in the dunes, but I'm obviously wrong, as Banshees are by far the most popular quad out there.

Old 02-03-2000, 09:55 PM
Pro Rider

Sorry about the multiple posts. It wasn't loading on my computer but the server apparently got it.