Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

New member old question

Old 08-27-2000, 02:46 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would like to hear some opinions about a couple of things. I am going to be buy a 4-wheeler in the next couple of months and try to do some home work on which one to buy. First, I am looking an 4-wheeler that i can go trailing,pushing race car, little of hunting. Second, reliabilty i don't want piece of junk that i wish i'll regret buying! Third,i want 2-wheel drive.I have been looking at Honda 2001 TRX350TM and the Yamaha Big Bear 400. I am about 5'11 and weight 250 pounds.I would like to hear some opinions, and the reasons you feel that way. Thanks for the help.

Old 08-27-2000, 04:53 PM
Pro Rider

Sounds like you are looking for a Grizzly. It pulls the most, hauls the most, and has the most power. Has 2 or 4 wheel drive. It will provide a certain "thrill" factor that no other utility quad can offer! Plus it has a proven track record for dependability. I know becuase I ride one.

Old 08-28-2000, 12:57 AM
Pro Rider

well dont listen to 01Grizzly. Ive been scanning the posts and he just shamelessly says "sounds like you are looking for a Grizzly" even when you just said your looking for 2 wheel drive. he's even done this in sport quad chats. just stop it.

I think the new Ranchers are a great pick. Someone that owns them and a Recon likes the Ranchers even more -2wd that is. I'm not a big fan of the Big Bear now that the Rancher has come out. The Rancher has definitely beat it.

Old 08-28-2000, 03:16 AM
Pro Rider

Forgive the enthusiasum for my Bike. It just does everything so damn well! Yo dude you forgot to tell us how many threads were on your valve stems.

Old 08-28-2000, 04:54 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Finbone,Did you not mention the Big Bear?Is it not a 4wd?You asked for a 2wd.

For hunting purposes,you may live to regret your purchase of a 2wd over a 4wd.In normal everyday trail riding,4wd is not normally needed.Hunting is a all together differant story.You may have the desire to reach out further in the woods than the average trail rider does,you could encounter some very nasty situations that require a 4wd quad.You mentioned pushing with a quad to.

I'd think this quad situation over before purchasing a 2wd?====Bill

Old 08-28-2000, 10:18 AM
Pro Rider

Greetings,

Gotta agree on the 4X4 thing. I find that the front wheels kick in rarely on my 450ES, but when they do, I'm really glad I have it. For trails and regular chores, 2X4 is just fine, but if you have to cross streams or logs, the front drive really helps.

Its also important for starting heavy loads. I was towing logs (big ones) this weekend and the front wheels engaged at the start every time.

I was really impressed with the Rancher when I test drove it, but I think you would like the added weight and torque of the Foreman 450 or the Griz -- or any of the other larger quads (Arctic Cat, Traxter, et al). There are time when you just need a little more low-end grunt.

Old 08-28-2000, 01:13 PM
Pro Rider

Finbone:
Bill C., and DrRod are right on the money about the 4x4 thing for hunting and working. It is true that a 2wd will take you many places you want to go, though there are many more places it won't take you. I had no atv experience prior to purchasing my 'Cat though spent several months trying to research each brand and comparing various aspects and features of them all before buying. As a result, I didn't realize just how important it was for me to purchase a 4x4 quad. There are many places I can go in 2wd while hunting, but the minute you get off the "beaten path", and start crossing streams or even things such as downed timber or rocks while climbing hills, that 4wd is a must. I've got a buddy that rides a 2wd Yamaha. He can keep up on the trails and stuff, but the minute I go "off road", I'm either waiting for him to find a different route around an obstacle, or towing him through.

You also mention pushing race cars. I would think that for this type of work you would definately want a 4x4. You can do it in 2wd, though if you had the extra help of the front wheels engaged, it would put a lot less stress on the machine itself. One option to look at would be to purchase a selectable 2wd/4wd quad. That way, you've got the speed and easier turning when you want it for running on trails or backroads somewhere, and 4wd when hunting and working. Like DrRod, I also do a lot of log towing up at our property. It is possible in 2wd, though it does put a lot more stress on the machine. When the front is engaged, and in low range, you can't even tell you're pulling anything.

I love my 'Cat, so naturally I'll have to recommend you take a look at those, though the other two machines I strongly concidered before making the plunge were the Honda 450 ES, and the Polaris Sportsmans. I don't know how well you'd like the rear IRS of the Sportsman with working, as many people prefer a strait axle, but it is a good machine. As for reliablilty, Honda takes the cake here, though I don't think you'll have any troubles at all with an AC either.

Anyhow, something to think about. Good luck with the decision!

Mike

Old 08-28-2000, 01:23 PM
Range Rover

I think the rancher sounds like a nice match, and it is also available in 4wd if you decide to go that route.

Rod, You mention that the front wheels on your 450 engage right from the start when pulling heavy loads, I thought the 450 had full time 4wd, but you describe it like it's an on demand system like the Polaris machines. Could you clarify?

Old 08-28-2000, 07:23 PM
Weekend Warrior

For everyone who replied, Thanks for the opinions it has made my mind up as far two-wheel goes I am going to choose 4-wheel after reading the replies. I live in Louisiana and i am sure the temptation will be their to go where i would get stuck in a 2-wheel drive. Still can't make up my mind about which brand to get! Hondas,Yamaha's are they close as far as reliability. Again thanks for the replies!!!

Old 08-29-2000, 11:09 AM
Pro Rider

Greetings,

Other people have explained this better than I can, but as I understand it, the front wheels don't engage until they sense that the back wheels are turning faster (thereby indicating slippage). While the four-wheel drive feature is full time (meaning that you can't turn it off), the vehicle does not run with four wheels driving all the time -- only when needed.

The effect is most apparent in the snow. When you start out, the back wheels may start to spin and in about a half second, the front wheels kick in at speed. You can also see it when you climb out of a stream bed or over a log, but the snow makes it far easier to see.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: New member old question