Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

What do I need to do to buy a USED ATV?>

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2004, 12:41 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What do I need to do to buy a USED ATV?>

Okay, looks like Ill be buying a used 04 kodiak. What do I need to obtain from the owner? Do I need a title? A bill of sale(Im sure I do)?

Just want to plan ahead.

Thanks.

Old 11-01-2004, 07:14 PM
Weekend Warrior

anyone? anyone?

Old 11-01-2004, 07:57 PM
Pro Rider

well you will need a bill of sale, otherwise he can come back and ride the quad off and say its his.

and depending on where you live, a title all depends. i know here in florida you have the option to title your quad for insurance stuff etc.

Old 11-03-2004, 01:07 AM
Range Rover

It depends on your state laws. Start with your department of natural resources or vehicle titles services. Or call a local ATV dealer, he should be able to tell you the requirements.

In our state, we have state vehicle titles for ATV's and they are transferred to the buyer. Good Luck on your new purchase.

Old 11-03-2004, 10:38 AM
Pro Rider
Sound advice there. "Hey, watch this........"
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

DEFINATELY get a bill of sale. All it needs to be is a hand written description of the ATV (with VIN #'s) and signed by the seller. There is no excuse for a seller not giving the buyer a BOS, if they can't comply, you'd best just walk away.

It is even better to get a title although the importance of this will vary from state to state. In some areas, no title would indicate a stolen quad, in others, it's OK for a quad to have never been titled. All states do have provisions for titling an ATV, having one in hand makes the transfer of the property that much more legit.

As others have posted, some states require a title to allow you to register to ride on public lands. If you ever plan to travel to states that require permits to ride, you will need to register your quad in your home state to ride out of state.

Jaybee

Old 11-03-2004, 10:46 AM
Weekend Warrior

Okay, I can get the title signed over...but will I have to pay taxes if I do that?

I will also do a bill of sale, thanks for the help guys!

Old 11-03-2004, 05:13 PM
Pro Rider
Sound advice there. "Hey, watch this........"
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Once you get the title registered in your name you will have to pay taxes on the purchase. You pay a % of whatever amount is written on the old title. The transfer can be done at your local courthouse.

Jaybee

Old 11-03-2004, 06:17 PM
Weekend Warrior

well screw that! Im not paying taxes on something that was just paid taxes on a few months ago!

BAH!!!!! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 11-04-2004, 02:37 AM
Range Rover

Wow MT, what an incredible statement! I assume you've never bought a used car or truck. Sales tax means a tax everytime the item is sold. That doesn't matter how often it is sold or how many times it is sold. I sure wish I could go to Walmart and say I don't want to pay the sales tax because you just paid it last week on the items I bought today.

If your state requires title registration, you will probably be required to pay the sales tax to get title in your name. That's what happens in my state. Again, check with your local authorities for your state's rules.

Old 11-04-2004, 02:43 AM
Weekend Warrior

I dont know...atv isnt quite a vehicle....and since Im buying used, Im shocked I need to pay sales tax...

If I can avoid it I will [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]