Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

ATV's for Baja

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2004, 08:47 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ATV's for Baja

We just moved into our house in Los Barriles and are looking to buy 2 ATV's to use for riding in the back country and pulling a trailer with our kayaks down to the beach (100 yards). We know absolutely nothing about ATV's but it seems to be the mode of transportation for a lot of people here. We have no idea of cost either. My husband is 6'2" and 190 lbs and I am a comfort creature and am 5'5" and 160 lbs. Both of us are used to motorcycles, etc. so we aren't completely dumb on the operation.

We would probably buy used if we have the opportunity which we are sure there will be some come up as people leave the area, etc. We want dependable rigs as we will be in the back country which is pretty remote here. We would probably also take our fishing poles on them for onshore fishing. Any help you could give us would be greately appreciated.

Old 11-12-2004, 11:09 PM
Pro Rider
Default ATV's for Baja

then u are looking at a yamahatimberwolf for an all around good quad or something in the low cc range

Old 11-13-2004, 12:04 AM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default ATV's for Baja

Do a survey and see what other people are riding, and how well they are working. That will give you some clues about what is appropriate for riding in your area. Get the names of the machines they ride, and we can give you opinions on the quality/rideability of that particular machine.

There a two types of machines: Utilities (big and heavy with racks, and usually 4wd) and sport bikes (smaller and lighter, but not the best choice for pulling a trailer). My moto is to "never ride a utility anywhere you can ride a sport bike"! Start by going to the Honda, Suzuki, and Yamaha web sites, and take a look at what is available:

http://powersports.honda.com/atvs/

http://www.suzukicycles.com/Products...s/Default.aspx

http://www.yamaha-motor.com/products...maha_atvs.aspx

Old 11-13-2004, 09:29 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default ATV's for Baja

Thank you! They ride Yamaha (one of the the local renters uses them only. I think they are the 450?), Suzuki and Hondas. All different kinds. They all have the tires, no tracks. I'll look at the sites as well. Thanks again and any more info would be most helpful.

Old 11-13-2004, 11:39 AM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default ATV's for Baja

Most folks down there are going to be Californians, and here, sport bikes rule! In the sand, it's a big advantage to be light, and float along on the surface! A lot of beginners look at a piece of terrain, and think that only a 4X4 utility could make it. But, in a lot of situations, you don't want to be heavy (or big) and grapple for traction, you want to use momentum and light weight to carry you through. I do own utility bikes, but I only use them in the mountains, where the rocks are big and there might be snow.

You mentioned rentals! Best thing will be to rent some bikes and see how they do. Tell us what models they are (the exact model), and we can give you our opinions.

Old 11-13-2004, 07:51 PM
Pro Rider
Default ATV's for Baja

A Pair of Kodiak 450s would suit you all just fine. The mechanic at the rental place would be familiar with them and would prolly work on your machines for you, either on the side on his off hours or perhaps the rental place would charge you shop hours.

Get the newer 450s so you have IRS and belt drive. IRS is comfortable so you could ride it all day long and not get abused or tired. They are 4x4 and have plenty of power to tow a trailer with some canoes.

The Yahama's are very very reliable and would last you as long as you needed them.

If your husband wanted something a tad bigger then maybe he could use a Grizz and you the Kodiak, the Grizz is just a bigger version with more engine.

[edit] Can I come visit you all? I'll bring my ATV's and Fishing poles and some Cerveza's, we could be good friends [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 11-13-2004, 09:19 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default ATV's for Baja

Thank you Dirtydude. You have been most helpful and we do appreciate it. Yes, we could be good friends. Especially if you are bringing the cervaza! Thanks again.