Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

Another Newbie, sorry!

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2004, 10:19 PM
Pro Rider
Is old enough to know better, but too young to stop.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another Newbie, sorry!

Sounds like I got here a little late.. but I'll comment any way. 4x4 versus sport... Well, if numbers are any indicator.. they sell on average 7 to 8 utility models to every sport one sold. That should be very revealing... You will be surprised to find all the uses you can dream up for a good utility machine once you have it in your garage. I recommend getting a model that can switch in and out of 4 wheel drive... and a selectable locker for the front end. Automatic transmissions are very handy in most conditions. Shifting gears and working clutches are fun and all, but once you get an automatic, you will never go back. There are just so many times when your concentration is needed on riding, and gear selection is so important.. that it is one less thing to worry about. Reverse is mandatory. After having to drag a 3 to 5 hundred pound monster around to change direction a few times, you will see the wisdom in that decision. I prefer liquid cooling to air cooling, but that is a personal preference, and not based on any real scientific data.

I actually own both air cooled and liquid cooled machines. Sport models, and utilities. Automatics and shifters with clutch and without.. and without a doubt, over time, I have chosen the automatic utility as my daily rider.

Old 11-22-2004, 01:18 PM
Trailblazer

I got a great offer from a dealer for 2 new 2004's Suzuki Eiger 400's 4x4 for 9300K out the door. They are not automatics however so I am debating whether to buy. I know it's a good deal though. Help!

Heidi

Old 11-22-2004, 09:22 PM
Pro Rider

I wouldnt recommend a manual tranny ATV to my least friend. Nope- it would be one of those things you just don't want to live with year after year, ride after ride.

Old 11-22-2004, 11:58 PM
Pro Rider

Hello Heidi. I got to agree with WhoDatInDaMud. Get an auto. If you can't afford the big 4x4 utility quad with an auto; then consider a 2X4 with an auto before you consider a 4x4 with a manual.

I agree with Dragginbutt about the popularity of 4x4 utility quads. But I also believe that few people actually need the 4 wheel drive. This I learned after reading many posts on this forum about the 4x4 versus 2x4. It is also confirmed by my short experience of 2 months on 5 different trail systems in Michigan.

Hope this helps[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

BryceGTX

Old 11-23-2004, 08:38 AM
Pro Rider
Is old enough to know better, but too young to stop.

yep, I agree, but all you need is that one time where 4x4 IS needed to convince you that you made the right decision. Being able to switch from 2 to 4 wheel drive is a nice thing to have, as it makes is much easier to steer in 2 wheel drive mode. I doubt you will find many utility machines without at least an automatic clutch. If you want to shift gears that is OK... Full automatics are usually on the upper level machines anyway. Just ask yourself one question though... will you or your husband lust after that upper level machine in a year or two? Once you get out there on the trails, a severe case of bling bling-itis may set in, and you just might be looking to trade up.... you might save yourself a lot of hard earned $ if you step up now, while the deals are out there. There are reasons everyone keeps trading up... those nice to have features today, quickly become absolute necessities tomorrow. You may think you don't need a locker front end today, or IRS suspension in the rear, but the first time you get a chance to ride a buddies machine with it, and you will be drooling again for the bigger machine...

Go as big as you can afford, but make sure you have fun with what ever you get. Join a local riding club too... think about a trailer as well. 2 spot Snowmobile trailers make good choices in the beginning... but don't be surprised when you start to envy those big enclosed toy haulers that sleep several people etc... it is a never ending story....

Old 11-23-2004, 11:33 AM
Pro Rider

That is so true.

Old 11-23-2004, 01:53 PM
Trailblazer

Thanks guys. I appreciate all the input!

Have a great Thanksgiving! :-)