Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

Another Newbie, sorry!

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2004, 10:46 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another Newbie, sorry!

Hi WhoDatInDaMud,

Thanks again!

I went to a dealership and looked today and I think I am sold on the Suzuki Eiger 400 4x4 Automatic for the hubby. It's big and I think he will love it. As for me the Ozark seems kind of small so now I am looking at the Yamaha Bruin 350 Auto for me. I would get a 250 as it's still good sized but it doesn't come in automatic and everyone here have convinced me that automatic is the way to go.

Now I am pricing. I have asked for some quotes via email and will go from there. I got a great quote for 2 Suzuki sport models (250 and 400) but I really don't think that's what he wants. Hopefully I can get a good deal on the ones I actually want!

As for you wife, maybe if you keep on being extremely good and drop a few hints you'll get lucky! I hope so!

I will let you know how I do on price!

Thanks again for all of your help!

Heidi

Old 11-17-2004, 11:13 PM
Pro Rider

I can't tell you what kind of price you can get but you should at least be able to get about $500 off the sticker price. You can probably get an even better deal if you buy an 04 model instead of the 2005s. You may even want to see if they have any 03s left. It's still a new machine and they may give you a crazy deal.

Old 11-18-2004, 12:45 AM
Trailblazer

Some good advice here. A few things to add:

-two seater quads are ok, but if it's only 2 of you going out riding, 2 quads is better in case 1 breaks down, runs out of fuel, or gets stuck as there will be another machine to get help

-I know here the price between the 400 and Vinson 500 is not a big difference, and in the long run he will be happier with more power. This being the case I would suggest a Vinson 500 for him and that you consider the 400 for yourself. If you have extra power, you don't have to use it(you can even limit the throttle), but when you are ready(or really stuck!) it will be there and for less money than increasing the power on a smaller quad when you get bored of it.

If his buddies are into riding also maybe you can have one of them take him along to the dealership under the pretense that they want his opinion on a machine for themselves. This might reveal his opinions of the machines before you commit to your purchases.

I think automatic is the only way to go for sport-utes, and 4x4 is a definate must for trails/exploring. I'm up in BC, and our weather is very similar, and with a 4x4 you can extend your riding season further into the winter than with a 2wd. I had a 2wd before, and it did a lot better than the bikes when the snow and ice came, but 4x4's are much better.

Good luck and remember no matter what machines you choose it's all about the fun and experiences!

Old 11-18-2004, 01:01 AM
Lon
Trailblazer

Heidi, Longbox has some really good input. A Vinson for him and an Eiger for you would give each of you enough bike that you'd never want for more. Another point... it may be easier to buy both bikes from one brand if you plan on using the brand's financing offers as opposed to a typical bank loan. Don't forget to get the dealer to throw in the needed accessories, like helments and goggles, tow straps, tie downs, tire repair kits, and if he's really in the selling mood, get him to throw in heated grips (I'm sure you're aware of how useful they are.)

I have a feeling your husband is going to be absolutely thrilled no matter what.

Old 11-18-2004, 02:06 PM
Trailblazer

Thanks so much for all the great info. I am trying to work some deals now so I will keep all of that in mind. I wouldn't have thought to ask them to throw in helmets, etc. but I will now!

Yes my husband wil be really happy, I am just hoping I can keep a secret that long. We are usually really bad about presents and if one of us buys something that they know the other one will love they can't usually wait until the bithday, holiday etc. I am going to really have to fight to keep my lips sealed this time!

Heidi [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 11-18-2004, 05:14 PM
Trailblazer

OK I got an offer of $9997.12 out the door for a 2005 Eiger 4x4 Auto and a 2005 Bruin 350 auto. This includes helmets, goggles, tie downs, tow straps, repair kits, and heated grips.

This sounds like a good deal to me. Is it?

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]

Old 11-18-2004, 07:59 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: Heidi
OK I got an offer of $9997.12 out the door for a 2005 Eiger 4x4 Auto and a 2005 Bruin 350 auto. This includes helmets, goggles, tie downs, tow straps, repair kits, and heated grips.

This sounds like a good deal to me. Is it?

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]
Absolutely not! They can do WAY better than that.................[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img]

Old 11-19-2004, 01:11 AM
Lon
Trailblazer

Is the Bruin a 4x4 or 2x4 ? If its a 2x4, and just assuming your sales tax rate is 6%, it appears all he's giving you is the free accessories. Granted, you're probably getting $250 - 300 in helmets, $80-100 in grips, and $60 in goggles. The tie downs, repair kit and tow straps are probably good for another $60. So you're not doing too bad so far. But I think he's still got another $200-300 in him. Keep pushing, then bring his best offer to another dealer. One of them will pony up. Then you can hit them up for free delivery...

I am so impressed in the way you're going about planning this gift ! Research, patience, wheelin' and dealin' ! If your hubby only knew - it'll be great pillow-talk Christmas night...

Old 11-19-2004, 02:41 AM
Trailblazer

OK, got him down to $9700.00 today and then I sent out emails to 10 other dealers to see if I can get anyone to beat that. I actually ended up going with the Eiger 400 4x4 for him and the Rancher 350 for me. How far down is realistic for me to get them to go? I don't want to keep pushing if they won't go any farther.

Thanks so much. I am so excited for me and the hubby. It's going to be so hard to wait for Christmas this year. I feel like a 6 year old! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Heidi

Old 11-19-2004, 03:18 AM
Pro Rider

I'm sorry but I still think it's too much. Are you looking at 2004 or 2005 models?

Quick Reply: Another Newbie, sorry!