Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

Never owned ATV..Need help picking..

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2004, 10:30 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Never owned ATV..Need help picking..

Hello everyone, I posted in the kid's about one for my son and everyone is helpful. So, what about dad. I have no clue what size or features I need. So here's what I'll be using it for and the must have's.

Riding around my property. Have a good many hills and a creek. Want it to be able to tow things from the barn to the house and stuff. About twice a year we go to my in-law's in WV and all they do is trail ride. It would be nice to be able to do that and if I had a quad capable I would probably do it more often around home. I live in North Georgia, so snow is 3 or 4 times a year. I definately want reverse, something that doesn't have a manual clutch. I don't know if I need 4x4 or not, but it so, I'd like one that can be ran in 2wd for the occasional slipping and sliding around. I'm 6'1" and 240 lbs.

Is there anything else I should be keeping in mind when trying to choose.

The dealers keep telling me a 250-350 will be fine for what I need. They look kinda small. But I don't hunt, so no need for something all the racks and stuff. I did look at a Suzuki Vinson 500 today that was manual shift 4x4 when I was looking at youth quad's. They said I could have it for $5500.00 plus tax. Is that a good deal? and is it a good machine?

Thanks

Old 12-01-2004, 12:10 AM
Pro Rider

250-350 would be small as you seen but would be low on power also. 400 min more likely a 500. Vinson is a nice machine. 4x4 is pretty much a gimme may not think need but when do is a godsend. For towing Hi/lo is good also another reason for 4x4. Polaris sportsman another good one nice cushy ride, yammy Kodiak. All these can go regular 2wd also.

Old 12-01-2004, 07:52 AM
Weekend Warrior

You couldn't go wrong with a Vinson. I think you would really like it..............[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]

Old 12-01-2004, 03:20 PM
Elite Pro Rider

As the motors get bigger, the price, and weight go up, and the gas milage goes down.
I would think, a 350cc is about the smallest, motor you should consider. Usually the 250cc machines have a smaller frame, and a guy your size isnt gonna be comfortable.
If youre gonna be pulling stuff, and if its gonna be slippery, youre gonna want 4wd.
What kind of quads do your inlaws have? Maybe they are looking to upgrade...and have one they could sell you. Alot of times, the first quad we buy, turns out to not be what we really need. And keeping the price down, on the first one, leaves more money for the next one.
When you buy used, and drive it for a year, and resell it...there isnt much depreciation. but buying new, and unloading in a year, is expensive. And it probably takes a year of riding to figure out the features youre gonna want to have on the next one.
imho...go used on the first one, and have some fun.

Old 12-01-2004, 09:15 PM
Weekend Warrior

The relatives have a couple of Polaris's 500's I think. And a Rubicon. I liked riding the Honda best. I am not familiar at all with the other brands like Artic Cat. What is a good a good price on something in the 400-500 range with 4x4. I don't care if it's an auto or not. I kind of liked the Vinson I looked at because of the "sub-transmisson" for lower gearing. Another reason I liked the Suzuki it caused they're made in town I live in. Of course I'm not sure if the Vinson is made here, but they do have a plant here, and they spend a lot of money with my company. Too bad they won't sell factory direct.

Thanks again.

Old 12-02-2004, 02:36 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: keyman
Hello everyone, I posted in the kid's about one for my son and everyone is helpful. So, what about dad. I have no clue what size or features I need. So here's what I'll be using it for and the must have's.Riding around my property. Have a good many hills and a creek. Want it to be able to tow things from the barn to the house and stuff. About twice a year we go to my in-law's in WV and all they do is trail ride. It would be nice to be able to do that and if I had a quad capable I would probably do it more often around home. I live in North Georgia, so snow is 3 or 4 times a year. I definately want reverse, something that doesn't have a manual clutch. I don't know if I need 4x4 or not, but it so, I'd like one that can be ran in 2wd for the occasional slipping and sliding around. I'm 6'1" and 240 lbs.Is there anything else I should be keeping in mind when trying to choose.The dealers keep telling me a 250-350 will be fine for what I need. They look kinda small. But I don't hunt, so no need for something all the racks and stuff. I did look at a Suzuki Vinson 500 today that was manual shift 4x4 when I was looking at youth quad's. They said I could have it for $5500.00 plus tax. Is that a good deal? and is it a good machine?Thanks
Yes, get a 500. Anything less is likely a good girls quad. I absolutely support Arctic Cat for having a great quality and reliable machine. I like the Hondas - if you have the money you wont regret buying one. Polaris is a good quad also. But they do not take a severe beating like the AC and Honda will. Fortunetly parts are plentyful.

The best way to save money is to buy the right quad first and not have to go out and get a second one to get what you want. Dealers make money selling you something rather than nothing so they start out cheap and try to work you up.

Get what you want and move on. Have fun.

Old 12-02-2004, 03:29 PM
Elite Pro Rider

You can try the local papers, or cycle trader, or atvtraderonline.com. That will give you a good idea what people are asking for a used quad.
I read somewhere, that 90 % of all quads get resold in the first 5 years. Says to me, lots of people change their minds after buying their first one. Im just trying to be pragmatic, Its even happened to me.
I bought an Ozark, and really liked it so much...I thought id never sell it. Then I discovered 4x4...now I no longer own the Ozark. Great quad, and really loved the light handling, and the motor, for a 250 was fun. I had no intension of ever selling it, but did.
My point was, that the depreciation is much less, on a used quad, compared to buying new, and the odds are, itll be resold in 5 years or less. If you buy low enough, and take care of it, you could even sell it for what you paid...ride for free.
In the local paper, there are usually lots of used quads, with very few hours, and lots of garage time, and some people are pretty desperate to unload...it really is the cheapest way to get into it. Most ive seen, go anywhere from OVER original price, to about 1000 less. Needless to say..but dont pay more than a new one goes for.

Old 12-02-2004, 03:55 PM
Weekend Warrior

id suggest getting an banshee if ur into the racing the down side is that it is 2 stroke if you want four stroke get a yfz450 or trx450r....thats if you willing to dish out some loot....for trails 400ex is that way to go...it has good suspension and deadly handeling. i have a 400ex i think its the best trail bike on the go..

Old 12-02-2004, 03:56 PM
Weekend Warrior

actually anything less then a 500 is probably better than what you have i have a 400ex and i can take a polaris 700twin efi!!!!

Old 12-02-2004, 05:49 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Knows Old ATV Questions!
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

First, I'm not sure what 400exROOSTER is trying to get at. Every quad he listed is a two wheel drive sport quad with manual clutch and no reverse. (Maybe it is opposite day?) Anyway, I think the Vinson is worthy of serious consideration on your part. It sounds to me that you may want to stick with something that has a solid rear axle, as they tend to be more capable sliders. A couple other models to think about would be the Polaris Scrambler which is sportier but would have less towing capacity, and the Kawasaki Prairie 650/700's. The Kawies are pretty similar in setup to the Vinson, but with more power. Suzuki offers a rebadged Prairie called the Twin Peaks if you prefer. These are top end models with a high sticker. Perhaps the salesman you talked with was under the impression you wouldn't use the quad much and was trying to save you some bucks?

Quick Reply: Never owned ATV..Need help picking..