Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

New Atv? Kingquad - Rincon - Rubicon - Foreman

Old 01-09-2005, 02:27 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Atv? Kingquad - Rincon - Rubicon - Foreman

I am planning on purchasing a new ATV in the next few weeks. I will be using the atv for average trail riding and would like to do some riding in the mountains where steep grades and low gears will probably be necessary. I have ridden atv's most of my life but it has been about 8 years since I have owned one. I grew up riding old school with manual shifting and while not so concerned about going automatic - I am a little concerned about a belt drive transmission - breaking, wearing out,slipping, more maintenance etc.??

I am also a little concerned about liquid cooling versus Air cooled. I traveled to Montana about 7 years ago and rented a brand new never ridden Polaris Sportman 4wd Atv (not sure which model) - I rode about 30 miles in to the back country and the dang thing blew a coolant line and overheated. My buddy who was fortunately riding with me towed me out. I am sure Polaris as come a long way - but I will not be buying one due to this experinece.

I have been taking a close look at the following.

1. 2005 Suzuki Kingquad - Great reports, independent suspension, 2wd or 4wd option, lots of gear option - BUT BELT DRIVEN AND LIQUID COOLED.

2. 2005 Honda Rincon - Good reports, independent suspension, 4wd only, no belt drive - BUT 3 SPEED TRANS WITH NO LOW AND I HAVE READ ENGINE BREAKING IS BAD FOR STEEP GRADES - NO LOW GEAR FOR ROCK TECH RIDING IN MOUNTAINS. AND LIQUID COOLEd

3. 2005 Honda Foreman Rubicon - Good reports, 2wd or 4wd option, no belt dirve. - BUT LIQUID COOLED AND NO INDEPENDENT REAR SUSPENSION.

4. 2005 Honda Foreman - Good Reports, 4wd only, air cooled, no belt drive - BUT NO INDEPENDENT REAR SUSPENSION.

NOW TO MY QUESTIONS?? - ARE MY CONCERNS ABOUT BELT DRIVE AND LIQUID COOLED VALID FOR MY RIDING PURPOSES. WHAT ATV DO YOU FEEL IS THE BEST FOR MY PURPOSES AND WHY?

I WOULD GREATLY APPRECIATE ANY FEEDBACK AND SUGGESTIONS.

THANKS!

Old 01-09-2005, 03:52 PM
Trailblazer

The Foreman is selectable 2/4WD just like the Rubicon...

Old 01-09-2005, 05:09 PM
Weekend Warrior

i own a 2005 kingquad with about a month and 125 miles on it. i have ridden it in 90 degrees in sand here in florida and 18 degrees in georgia through mud and woods. it took a while to break in (hard starting) for about 70 miles or so but now starts in just a second or two.

at 18 degrees, she fired right up, ran all day and has never missed a beat anytime except when new.

the transmission is the best i have ever used. smooth and tractable with great downhill braking. the low range is awesome and the 4wd and locker work just like they are supposed to.

the things i don't like are minor...factory tires suck. just too slippery and don't do a good job of getting that power to the ground. i also hate the plastic pins that hold the panels onto the quad. for example, to check the oil, you have to pull a panel with 3 pins. i have broken 2 of the 3 and naturally the dealer has none. poor engineering for such an awesome machine.

so, i love the machine and would recommend it to anybody.

good luck:-)

Old 01-09-2005, 06:36 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

cpayne,

You and I are in exactly the same boat. I rode mainly 3 wheelers doing farm work years ago, and have heard lots of hunting stories about the guy who smoked his 4 wheeler belt trying to drag an elk or whatever...

I'm less concerned about water cooling. Since I tend to take very good care of my stuff, I think I would likely catch a hose getting soft, or a clamp that wasn't tight.

I rode a buddy's Rincon, and it seems to have compression braking over about 5 mph, and it's suspension glides over rough stuff, but I also felt it needed a low range. I also took a KQ for a spin on the dealer's lot. Firmer ride/less body roll, way more power, and compression would hold it down to about 1-2 mph in low range down a steep little **** in their lot.

Myself, I think my choice is down to the Foreman 500 manual, or the Suzuki Vinson 500 Manual. The Suzuki is SRA 5 speed, but also has a low range, and is liquid cooled.

If I had to buy one today, it would be the Foreman, but I think you should look at the Vinson before you decide. Also, I rode a buddy's Eiger 400, and thought it was really nice. His was auto (belt) but they also come in 5 speed, and are air cooled. They seemed like a really good value for the $$$, but it sounds like you are looking for something just a little bigger...

Old 01-14-2005, 09:33 PM
Pro Rider

Dirtfreaks - Not sure what the pins look like on your bike but the Rincon also uses pins or body clips everywhere. I see them for sale on ebay for about 50 cents each for a pack of 10. Honda gets considerably more. I purchased a pack of 15 at an Autozone parts house for $1.97. They cary several styles.

Old 01-18-2005, 03:36 AM
Pro Rider

Cpayne,

If you don't mind me asking why are you only looking at Honda & Suzuki machines? It also looks like you are looking at different sizes. Are you wanting a larger machine or would you be happy with a 500cc machine? To answer your belt question I don't think you have to worry about it. It's been many many many years since I've seen problems with these. That's not to say you will not run into problems but I've never seen any in a very very long time. I have a Vinson (belt) and I ride through lots of water and even though I don't pull lots of stuff I do get into lots of mud and snow.

In any case, out of the choices I would select the KQ. IMO it's far better than those mentioned and has already won a few shootouts amoung the larger 700cc+ machines.

If you still want a non-belt machine please take a spin on a 5-speed Vinson before making your decision. I will warn you though if you ride one you may not be able to leave the dealership with buying one. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Good luck on your quest for your perfect quad.

Old 02-18-2005, 06:06 PM
sab
Trailblazer

Hey Duramax, Where can I get that avatar?