Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

Looking for some help "Big guy buying quad"

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2005, 02:12 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking for some help "Big guy buying quad"

Im a very large guy "350ish pounds" 6'7" .Im looking to buy a utility type quad but to tell the truth i cant afford to spend 5 to 6 thousand on a quad.Im going to be buing a used one and im curious for a guy my size what is the most important to look for in a Quad.I will only be using it for light trail riding and when it snows i mite go out and mess around..I would never jump it or anything..Just some trail riding..I want to be able to go up a hill without any proublems..Im just looking for any tips at all.I might be forced to go to a dealer and do some kind of loan or something.THanks for your time and any suggestions.

Old 01-10-2005, 06:48 AM
Range Rover

A used rubicon is the best bet. My pops is 400 and 6'1 and hes got a rubicon and if you have an extra 600 after you buy it you can get works shocks that are fitted for your weight, fully adjustable and fully rebuildable. You dont wont a belt drive being 350 it can wear easily. Rincons are not probably that cheep yet.

Old 01-10-2005, 02:19 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thank you very much for the reply.Im curious to what i should be looking for in older models also.I have never even been on a quad but really want one.I hate to spend over 4 or 5 grand just to note like it.But yet if thats what i have to do because of my size i mite have to.Are there any older brands that are in general better for big guys.Polaris looks good but yet i dont know anything about quads.Thanks again for the reply.

Old 01-10-2005, 04:50 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Maybe you could find a used Grizz 600 at a alright price. When buying used, it really depends on what is available in your area. The Foreman 450's or Vinson would probably work alright for you. It really depends on the amount you can spend and what's available.

Old 01-11-2005, 02:58 AM
Pro Rider

Whatever quad you get I wouldn't get anything smaller than a 500. In this range I would go for a used Sportsman 500HO or a Vinson.

Old 01-11-2005, 05:01 AM
Weekend Warrior

THanks for the input so far guys.This is a very helpfull site..If i was to have to finance one and had my choice of buying brand new Would that change what i should buy..Maybe a Polaris 500 ? Im just checking all my options .I appreciate any posts that will help me choose the rite quad.

Old 01-11-2005, 06:10 PM
Pro Rider

If buying new I would go with the Suzuki King Quad. IMO it's the best buy for your money.

Old 01-12-2005, 01:41 AM
Range Rover

Just a quick comment after reading this thread. I would be concerned about you financing a new quad when you are not sure if you might like it. If you don't like it, the drop in value of a new quad the day it leaves the dealer will be pretty large and to continue paying on it while it sits with a sale sign on it will frustrate you to no end.

If money is tight, I would suggest buying a used quad. Most large dealers will have an excellent supply of used quads that will allow you to get into atving while you are learning and seeing if you like it. If you don't like it, a used quad won't drop in value as fast as a new one. If you love it and want a newer machine in a couple of years, you will have time to continue saving and the next step up will not be as large.

Good Luck on your decision. Ride safely.

Old 01-12-2005, 05:10 AM
Weekend Warrior

If i go to the dealer and buy a used quad isnt it going to be around 3 or 4 thousand for a utillity type Used.Im planing on going to look this weekend but was under the impression the used quads were still 4 thousand..Thanks for the comments guys i appeciate any help.

Old 01-13-2005, 04:01 PM
Weekend Warrior

Im thinking of going tomorrow any last minute looking tips.I wont be buying tomorrow but just any info that will help.Thanks guys for the help.I really would like to spend something around 3000 3500 at the most but i dont think it will happen [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: Looking for some help "Big guy buying quad"