Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

what to get for the old lady?

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2005, 08:51 AM
Pro Rider
Is old enough to know better, but too young to stop.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what to get for the old lady?

rancher AT gives her the option of electronic shifting or full automatic.

Old 02-03-2005, 11:28 AM
LTZ
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would suggest the Z also. My wife loves it.............

Old 02-03-2005, 12:42 PM
Range Rover

Well I had the conversation about shifting with her. I dont think she really understands what I am talking about. Then I realized that she has rode a dirt bike before. So i think she will be alright. Are the ranchers going to be very fun I ride a 250R and will be purchasing a YFZ 450 befor spring. So I dont want her to drive a lumber wagon when I am on a sport quad. Every man out there knows that I will never hear the end of that ( you bought a sport quad and put me on the hualer). Dont get ne wrong I think that would be great she could bring the beer and tools.

Old 02-03-2005, 01:06 PM
Pro Rider
Is old enough to know better, but too young to stop.

Well, a rancher is NOT a sport machine. It can be taken in and out or 4 wheel drive, and can be operated in a full automatic mode, just like your car. It has the capability of controlling the shift points manually by means of electic buttons on the handlebars... I doubt however if she would ever use it once she got used to the full automatic mode. You will definately not be getting air, and doing the MX track deal with it. It is better suited for trail riding or in mountains etc... places where 4 wheel drive may be needed. They are a little heavier than a sport machine too, and all that translates into a slightly heavier steering etc. However, if your riding does include areas where traction is an issue, you can't beat a 4x4 machine.

I suggest the rancher AT because of it's transmission... ( a hydraulic torque converter like a car versus a centrifugal clutch setup with everyone else) and because it is a slightly smaller package with a lower center of gravity. It just seems to fit better and I think is safer.

Certainly, if your significant other feels comfortable with using a clutch and shifting gears, there are many other choices I'd suggest. The raptor 350 is one. Even though it shares the Warrior heritage, the recent updates have improved upon what was a milestone machine. It will keep right up with the big boys, take jumps, handles decently and has reverse and electric start. Two things I think are absolutely necessary on any machine.

Honda's TRX300 is another one I'd recommend. Can't comment on the Kows or the zukis...or Polaris... no experience with them. I know enough about IRS to stay away from them if you intend on sliding it around or doing sand... They have so much traction that they can get into trouble extremely fast.

Old 02-03-2005, 02:55 PM
Weekend Warrior

I would get her a Scrambler 500. My old lady / wife rides my Scrambler 500 4x4 and she doesn't have a problem with it and she's only 5'2" It's a no brainer to ride. You don't have to shift, just drive it like a car, forward, neutral, and reverse. it does pretty good in the mud. It has plenty of power, does great wheelies and jumps pretty good too. The Scrambler is heavy, but I think people make too big of a deal out of the weight. I let her ride my Sportsman 700 and she doesn't like it because she said it feels too big.

Old 02-04-2005, 01:08 PM
Range Rover

Scrambler sounds like it might fit just right. A little bit of both quads.

Old 02-06-2005, 04:36 AM
Pro Rider

your lady might like the tb 250 but i doubt you will like if you looking for something fast for you dont buy it i say may be a scambler 500 or the older tb 400 if you can find one

Old 02-06-2005, 05:58 PM
Weekend Warrior

what about a yamaha wolverine. If she doesnt mind the manual transmission it would be good because its kind of a mix between a sport and a racing quad. Its a 4 x 4 but it is small and nimble like a racing quad. My cousin has one and she's kinda small and she like it but i cant remember if it has reverse but i think it does.

Old 02-06-2005, 06:33 PM
Pro Rider

yea i forgot the wolverine i a good quad