Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

Best Atv for my son

Old 02-14-2005, 10:05 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best Atv for my son

Originally posted by: HondaGuy56
Does anyone know the hp of a blaster?

Don't let that influence your decision. I own both. You probably won't go wrong with either one. The acceleration and speed is close for both. The Honda has a better suspension. The Blaster has tons of after-market parts, and that can be fun. Personally, I'd go with the Blaster and save yourself $1500. Buy a 1-2 year old Blaster and you'll save up to $1000 over new. I paid $2200 for mine with 5 hours on it. I would not buy a Blaster older than a 2003 as 2002 (or maybe it was 2001) and older have crappy brakes, cable & drums.

Old 02-14-2005, 11:47 PM
Range Rover

yeah he will love a blaster or 300ex, but like markyman said the 2002 and older hav bad brakes and i know this for a fact because i have one and wen i got it i was boutthe sieze of ur son mayb a little bigger and i loved it.

Old 02-16-2005, 12:14 AM
Pro Rider

If you want a new Blaster better get it soon because, I think this is the last year Yamaha will have it in production. Personaly I'd go whith the Blaster over the 300EX because two strokes are funner.

Old 02-16-2005, 04:12 PM
Pro Rider

A used 300ex can be a good deal. The reverse and electric start are nice. The bike will be big enough for him to grow on. It's very stable and a lot of fun.

Old 02-16-2005, 04:49 PM
Range Rover

Originally posted by: Madwolverine
A used 300ex can be a good deal. The reverse and electric start are nice. The bike will be big enough for him to grow on. It's very stable and a lot of fun.
You can save a bundle used. I bought my first, 99 Blaster, then 2 years old, including extra rear tires & rims & a 5x8 trailer for $2250 total. My 300EX I bought new, and the first year depreciation is incredible. Maybe $1200-$1500 from what I paid. My last was this newest Blaster, 5 hours old, $2200. Great deal! I doubt I would ever buy new again, buy 1-2 years old, and be REAL careful

Old 02-16-2005, 05:59 PM
Pro Rider

I'd say get him a blaster. They're lightweight, snappy, and a fun to drive. Also there are like a million different parts in the aftermarket field so as he begins to look for more power as he gets bigger/older he will have endless room for improvement in the aftermarket field which every kid as they hit 15 or 16 is very interested in. I know I was. I got a wolverine when I was 14 but I weighed a little more and its a lot more expensive but I loved it and still have it today.

Old 02-17-2005, 05:56 AM
Trailblazer

300ex all the way man. The ex's would be perfect for him because they are " the perfect" wheelie machines. This would be a great quad for him.

Old 02-22-2005, 10:16 PM
Pro Rider
Is old enough to know better, but too young to stop.

So many questions.. so little time... Well Dad, pull up a chair and get comfortable... You are about to get lectured and enlightened by Dragginbutt himself...
First off, somebody already beat me to the age and size question.. so you should already know that answer.... next I want you to do some research on local laws... If I am correct, I think in West by God Virginia, they follow the Consumer Products Safety Council (CPSC) guidelines.. which depending on his age, it will limit the size he can LEGALLY ride on PUBLIC land. Next I want you to put him on a machine and see if he can reach the controls. IF he can't... NO GO. Can he work the brakes, steer the thing etc?

Now assuming he is good to go so far, I want you to sit down and take stock of your son's mental faculties. Will he listen =to what you say. WIll he follow instructions to teh letter.. things like wearing his safety gear all the time... not riding when you are not watching etc... Especially if he is young, the law requires he be in close supervision by an adult.
Size is important, because you don't want to get somthing that is too big for them.. These are not shoes.. Kids should not be expected to grow into them.. getting a machine that does not fit him will place him in danger.

Now, the hard part. I want you to do soem real soul searching here. You are about to embark on something that can place your son in danger. It could also kill or severly injure him in the flick of an eye. One moment of attention lapse could prove fatal. That is why you need to really consider your son's mental state. ATV's are NOT babysitters... They are not to be considered toys.. they are serious machines that have serious consequences when taken lightly.

So, if he has made it this far, now you need to decide on where he will ride it. Flat land versus hills. Trails versus track or back yard. All have special needs in a machine.

Also, figure at least $500 on top of price for safety gear. At a minimum, boots over ankle. Long pants, long sleeve shirt, goggles, helmet, Chest protector, gloves.

Last thing.. Don't make your decision based on $ alone. Wrong thing to do. Major brands usually can get fixed, but off brands can be more of a challenge if you are not mechanically inclined.

Ok, there are many things left out, but this should get the thought processes going for you. Good luck, and welcome to the game. Take a look at the archives on this list and the kids section. This question is asked a lot, and you might catch us in a better and more talkative mood...

Old 02-23-2005, 09:22 AM
Range Rover

Good reply, D-butt. I sold my 99 Blaster last year to a guy who brings over his 10 year old son who he bought it for, when he came to pick it up. The kid didn't have the size/strength to work the kick-starter. He pushed down on the KS, and rather than the KS going down, the kid went up! I told him I didn't think this was a good match, kid & quad, and offered him an opportunity to back out of the deal. The guy says no, he'll take it any way.

Old 02-23-2005, 09:42 AM
Pro Rider
Is old enough to know better, but too young to stop.

Yeah... I understand what you are saying there.... I was at a dealer's once and a father and son were loading up a brand new Yamaha Banshee. the kid was 10, and small for his size... and the dealer was selling it to him... The dad kept saying it was for him... wink wink... but the kid came right out and said it was for him... and the dealer sold it to them. I just about crapped my pants.... and made a mental note never to give this guy my business ever again. When the almighty dollar becomes more important than the safety of his customer... well he doesn't need me to feed his bad habits. After the father and son left, I gave the sales guy an ear full. Then I called Yamaha and reported the sale to them. We don't need dealers like that anywhere. Nothing happened of course, and the sales guy can claim that his dad said it was for him... but both he, and the manager knew that they had f-ed up big time when I got through with them.

I imagine they had a nice laugh after I stormed out of the place. Such are the things we have to deal with I guess.

Search this Thread